El Gourdo Pumpkin Porter

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: El Gourdo is the second brother in our "Three Brothers" Porter series. Using a variant of our El Robusto Porter as a base, we peeled, cut and cubed over 400 pounds of fresh Texas pumpkins and added a seasonal blend of spices to the mix. The mouth-feel is smooth and creamy, the aroma is rich spiced pumpkin and the taste deceptively dessert like.

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 16 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
AlCaponeJunior from Texas

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Just found out this place existed, and is very close to where I live. Stopped by tonight and had a couple of beers. The pumpkin porter is first on the reviewing queue.

About what you'd expect from an on-tap porter, dark (perhaps black, lighting and my poor eyesight made it a little iffy), with average head and lacing for tap porters.

Aroma is amazing. Tons of spices are melded with plenty of roasty dark grains to make for a beer that I couldn't stop sniffing.

Flavor is tasty, although for me I found the spices akin to DFH pumpking (that's not a bad thing, BTW, but indicates that they are plentiful and quantitaceous). The porter never stops being notable tho. Hops are mostly absent, I didn't notice anything on that front.

Body is perfectly porter, between medium and full, smooth and ample (but fairly low) carbonation.

Between the general experience of discovering this place, my impressions of the first of their beers I've tried,, and the fact that there's a micro-brewery so close to my house, I'd have to say I'm quite pleased, and I'll be back for me.

Mar 09, 2014