I-Lucky
Bissell Brothers Brewing Co.

I-LuckyI-Lucky
Score:
Ranked #8,499
4 | pDev: 8.25%
From:
Bissell Brothers Brewing Co.

Maine, United States
Avail:
Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
I-LuckyI-Lucky
Notes: IPA brewed with rice & fresh ginger. a homage to restaurant workers everywhere.

availability: rotating
ABV: 7% OG: 1.063
Hops: sorachi ace, lemondrop
Malts: PILSNER, FLAKED RICE, VIENNA, MALTED RYE
Reviews: 20 | Ratings: 119 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

This one was a lot better than I expected, quite possibly the best beer I have ever had. The aroma was like heavenly grapefruit and rice, and the look and feel can’t be topped. The can art was rad too. The perfect beer.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on tap at the brewery.

A - Poured into a Bissell glass a nice hazy golden hue with a one finger head that fades to leave nice creamy blanket and sticky lacing.

S - Aromas of nice bright fresh ginger root, crystal ginger, lemons, little grassy hops. Almost perfume like. Very aromatic.

T - Taste is similar to the nose with bright ginger notes. Doesn't pop as much as the nose though. Hops are little citrus with rather nice sorachi ace hops. Finish is somewhat bitter.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, crisp, clean.

O - Overall this was a rather solid ipa. The ginger is quite enjoyable and refreshing. Pleasant and unique.

Serving Type: on tap

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dark Orange Hazy Color

Smells like fresh hops and ginger

Taste is fresh, crisp and juicy sweet ginger

Feel is full bodied and velvety smooth for a single IPA

Overall my favorite I had on tap at the brewery that I could keep drinking all day long and definitely an underrated beer by Bissel Bros.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice light body with a thinnish white head. No legs to speak of.

Nose is citrusy and tart, but a bit subdued.

Flavor is light, slightly sweet, and has a lot of citrus and ginger. Very light malt, but still has that characteristic cloudiness of a NEIPA.

Mouthfeel is tangy and zesty from the ginger. I love it!

Overall, a seriously drinkable beer. Big fan of ginger in general, and it doesn't let me down here.

4.24/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16oz can. This one pours a fairly opaque darker golden yellow color. There was a bit of an off white head that leaves some lacing. Good nose! Tropical fruits and ginger. The ginger is evident without being overdone. The taste is also very good. Ginger, but not overdone. Citrus and some tropical hop flavors to go with a good body. Just a bit of sweetness with a background bitterness. Very well done!

4.54/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Man people sleepin on the ginger IPA. This is so well done, I can't get over it. The ginger compliments the hop profile so well. Part of the reason why Bissell is the tastiest, most versatile hoppy beer producer I have ever had the pleasure to introduce my taste buds to.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

A very nice ginger IPA from the bros. ginger is not overdone. I am not sure what does the rice contribute to it except qualify it to be called what it is.
Regardless, it's dank, smooth and delicious.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A nice amount of ginger. Definitely there but not overpowering.

Aroma matches the flavor - a slight hop bitterness with notes of citrus and floral hops. A touch of creaminess on the finish with the ginger spice coming forward like a ginger snap cookie with orange jam.

Beautiful color - cloudy yellow orange

4.39/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 1 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I rate it low in look because I drank it from a can, a conditioned can in fact, similar to the manner in which Heady Topper is canned. This beer is meant for Asian Cuisine, it sips like an IPA, and it can take your head off with its bite, but only for a drinker who doesn't understand its point. Drink it with a plate of Soba or Pho, or you are doing it wrong.

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Let this one warm up a lot, almost to room temperature. Once it does it really opens up the flavor.

Ginger tends to dominate in the beers that I have had that use it but this beer highlights it beautifully as a complementary flavor. The rice lightens and smooths out the hop profile. Very smooth with a medium mouthfeel. Interesting beer, enjoyed it.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sample tasted at the brewery.

Hazed out with a decent head. Both aroma and flavor show some ginger though there is not much here to convince me that this is an IPA. Tasty and perhaps of their better beers to date.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

super hazy, juicy.... very well-balanced. ginger does not over-power or ruin the flavor; it's very subtle. very hoppy and juicy. no date on can. wonder if it's old?

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A thanks goes out to the founding father of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of ginger, grapefruit. Taste is strong of ginger, some citrus, a light hop bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique twist on the style and a good quality beer.

3.31/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 4 pk from the brewery on 5/15. Wish I had passed on this- not my favorite- the ginger muddles the hop profile so there are competing flavors and aromas that in my opinion don't necessarily work together very well. And now I have 3 more cans that I don't want to drink

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Good streaky lace. Whitish gold color. Cloudy.

Ginger and grass are chief aroma.

Dry finish from the hop level and the effects of ginger. The malt is in the background. Good body and carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev +3%

Pours a hazy yellow with a thick white head, about two fingers. Strong ginger aroma. Huge hit of ginger on first taste to mild, tart, lemony finish. Really a nice change of pace.

4.28/5  rDev +7%

My high school classmate, Johanna, now lives in Maine, outside of Portland, and was able to fulfill my birthday request for this beer. We are all turning 50 y/o and I feel Lucky to have such people in my circle. This CAN represents an at least temporary return to The CANQuest (tm), following a winnowing of my bottle backlog. Yay!

From the CAN: "Fresh beer from Bissell Brothers Brewing Company"; "This CAN represents what we value most in brewing - freshness & hop flavor. It should be [CAN]sumed the same way it was made - happily, with friends."; "Brewed, CANned, and Distributed by the Bissell Brothers Brewing Company LLC".

Lucky me! I Crack!ed the CAN and the sound was so magical that I commenced an inverted Glug to celebrate. I love the auditory nature of CANs that bottles CAN only hope to come near. I quickly had three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head that immediately began to fall, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. To say that the nose was redolent with ginger would be an understatement. It took me back to my 30th birthday when my brother and I and a few friends went out for sushi and the fresh ginger really stood out for me on that occasion. I eat sushi occasionally, but I really remember the ginger on my birthday for some reason. Color was a slightly hazy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Mouthfeel was soft, caressing my tongue, rather than assaulting it, as so many AIPAs are wont to do. Lucky Cat used her velvet paws to gently knead a place for her to lie down. As she was doing so, my sinuses filled with the scent of ginger. Hey, no kidding, if you are allergic or find ginger to be strong, then do NOT get near this! They did not hold back in adding it to the brew. As for me, I loved it since I feel like I have been under an AIPA assault of late and this was really mellow. I decided to emulate Lucky Cat and extend my two upper paws and my lower right paw in tribute to both a great beer and a great CAN. The finish was dry as you should expect from spiced beers. It was a pleasant dryness, though, not gasping, just enough to make me want to take another sip. Mmmm mmm.

3.33/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Not really my thing, to be fair. The beer was balanced, but the ginger did not come through with the bite I was hoping for. Credit is due for trying something out and there is some potential to see the guys tinker with it a bit more.

3.39/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can poured into a Speigelau glass

A: small tight white head murky gold colored body

S: lemony with a rosemary smell and a little ginger

T: all I can taste is ginger almost taste more like a bitter kolsch with ginger

M: fairly crisp a little bit of tingle on the tongue possibly from the ginger

O: Meh not very good unless you absolutely love ginger really masks the underlying beer the hints of rosemary in the nose were a huge turnoff

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The ginger hits on the first sip and then fades away after a few pulls. If you wait a few minutes and take another sip the ginger returns - almost like the taste buds get saturated with it and have to recover - although it is not overpowering even on the first sip. I am not a big fan of beers brewed with extra flavors but this is a really nice IPA and would go AMAZING with sushi - one of my favorite foods. Hard to find but definitely worth searching it out for a different IPA.

I-Lucky from Bissell Brothers Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 89 out of 100 with 119 ratings