Imperial Espresso Porter | Flying Fish Brewing Company

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a dark brown color with a wispy, lightly frothed, off-white head.

Aromas begin with sweetish, chocolate, roasted barley malts. Then you get some espresso, candied raisins and some dark brown sugar.

The tastes begin with toasted, chocolaty dark maltiness with some definite sweeter milk chocolate qualities. As it warms you get more and more freshly ground espresso. Light earthy bitterness, maybe hops or maybe the coffee. Tastes of brown sugar and raisins precede the finish that adds a revisit of coffee and chocolate.

The mouthfeel is meedium-bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is lightly bitter from the espresso but semi-sweet from the base Imperial porter.

Overall this is a sweet and easy-drinking, and, semi-complex porter. No dog in the flavor department but nothing worldly or too distinctive in the coffee additional beer category.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

One of the better beers this brewery put out and they retire it... I'll never figure it out I guess.

This beer poured out much like any other porter out there, it's got a deep dark brown color to it with some nice red highlights. The smell of the beer is loaded with coffee, the taste is also full of coffee and some roasted malts. The mouthfeel was smooth and had a great drinkable quality to it. Overall this brew was really nice in my opinion. I was looking back at some notes I took on it and thought I'd like to get this one again and now I won't be able to. Glad I got it when I did though. It was worth it.

3.47/5  rDev -9.9%

Appearance - Poured a tan/dark brown color from the 12oz bottle that has been sitting in my fridge for a while. Figured I better review it before too much time passed. Since it's now retired, all the more to give it a parting comment or two. The carbonation seemed slight, causing a very limited head to form upon the inital pour. As I prepared this review the head resolved to nothingness. Needless to say, "head retension" is absent.

Smell - Rich coffee notes are the first to hit your nose, even from a foot away. Some sweet malty/caramel comes through as well.

Taste - The sweetness and coffee battle for top billing from the onset. Big roast coffee notes are here. Don't want to know how much was used, but this may keep me up late this evening. By the time it hits the middle of your tongue, the sweetness has won the middle game. The finish is crisp, almost tart, on your tongue.

Mouthfeel - Thin. Perhaps due to the lack of a heavy (even moderate) carbonation transport mechanism. There is some body, but not much.

Drinkability - Not sure what to say about this one. After getting this far, I looked at a few reviews from others to see if the lack of carbonation was a oddity on my end, or common-place for this offering. It seems the latter, so I'll continue and finish my review. All in all, if you are into a big bold coffee presence in your beer, this one is (was) for you. To me, it seemed off-balance and didn't do it for me. Lots of good and great porters out there.

3.49/5  rDev -9.4%

2-21-11: No date on the bottle. I want to guess it's about 2 yrs old. Refridgerated the entire time.

Poured gently into a Phillies pint glass. No head. Some whte/off-white bubbles congregated.

Brown-black. Some light coming through the edges of the glass with a bit of ruby color in the thinner areas.

Smells good. I remember the aroma being a lot stronger when it was fresh. (This was one of the first beers I put aside to age before I understood the prereqs for cellaring.) The aroma is dominated by coffee and chocolate. Maybe some earthy hops, a little alcohol, and sweet toffee.

The malts are up front in my opinion. The coffee comes in after. Sweetness from the caramel malt. Along with a little dryness from the black and choco malts. Bitterness from the coffee. Not picking up a lot of hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is so-so. I imagine the freshness is a huge factor. I can see the right carbonation making this a fuller feel. Sidebar: I find that a lot of porters end up being a bit thin.

Nothing about this beer takes away from its drinkability. The trace alcohol has disappeared in this one. Making it a bit easier to put a few away.

I was completely unaware that this beer was retired. Most likely in preparation for a new anniversary beer. This one was probably meant to be enjoyed fresh, or else, it would've been bottled-conditioned. I know this now.

I have a couple more-- So, updates may follow.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle. Pours a dark brown coffee color with a big fat 1 finger head. The aroma is that of coffee roast (duh), molasses, brown sugar, and slight leather. The head recedes rather quckly and leaves minimal lace as it settles. Medium mouthfeel. Sweeter than I anticipated with a mild dark chocolate start that gives way to a more medium roast style flavor of coffee. For being an imperial it doesn't really have that over the top booze flavor that some get. Enjoyable but I'd have liked to see a more coffee forward flavor in this to really put it over the top.

Imperial Espresso Porter from Flying Fish Brewing Company