No Fun

Gots
SCORE
n/a
No FunNo Fun
Notes: DDH IPA dry hopped with Amarillo,Citra,Blanc, Bru-1,El Dorado ,Mosaic, Waimea, and 007.
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

That's a lot of hops there, Finback. The last time I had something from this brewery that claimed to have all sorts of crazy hops in it was extremely underwhelming (Don't Kill The Whale), but it was also weirdly cheaper at the store I usually go to for my beer than the typical Finback pint, so maybe it had less of a hopload or something. Anyway, this has Amarillo, Citra, Hallertau Blanc, Bru-1, El Dorado, Mosaic, Waimea, and 007 (formerly Idaho 7). Interesting combination of old favorites and weird new varieties that have found their niches in styles other than the IPA.

The pour is a typical hazy/creamy Finback IPA (looks like orange-pineapple juice, basically) with a nice, fluffy head that builds up to about three fingers at its highest point, and sinks down to a retentive and solid finger of compact bubbles. The lace here is soapy and fairly-consistent, and some decent legs seem to come about as the head sinks as well. What can I say? Looks great for what it is.

I was definitely worried about this one based on just how many hop varietals they squeezed into the recipe, but my fears were allayed when I brought this to my nose for the very first time. Candied grapefruit, tangelo, tangerine, wildflower honey, succulent pineapple, mango, and a raw dank/grassiness that just comes across utterly pungent and intense. I know Bru-1 hops are one of those new varietals that could be great in something funky or saison-like with its stone fruit and spice notes. Kinda like Ella and, to a lesser extent, Loral. Idaho 7 (or 007 as I guess it's being referred to now) typically seems really weird, but it's sorta in the background here. I really get a lot of the Waimea and Mosaic honestly. Dank, bright citrus, a bit green/dank, and ripe tropical fruit are the main descriptors I'd use, for sure.

On the tongue, this is soft and juicy, with an even temperament and no hop burn. Slightly less fruity, with a bit of acidity and a wine grape like character. Must be the Blanc hops, or maybe the Amarillo messing with some of the unusual varieties. Fun and complex citrus as I sip and think about the beer. Finback has been a bit more hit-or-miss to me lately, but this is a definite success.

Carbonation is a bit on the lower end even for a New England hazy IPA, meaning it drinks a bit heavier than it probably should. But for a 7.5% NEIPA, this is filling and very intriguing. It has a slightly raw flavor to it despite being two weeks old at time of consumption, and it reminds me a bit of some of the better Oscillation stuff I've had from these guys, just slightly chewier and less ethanol-forward. In spite of the name, this is a very fun beer. Give it a shot if you see it and like NEIPAs!

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canning date/8/26 right off the press.
Light golden color with a 4F head in a Spielgelau IPA glass.
Very strong pineapple, some tropical fruit.
Smooth, almost silky MF.
More pronounced pineapple and tropical fruit in the taste.
Moderately hoppy finish.
One of my favorites from the brewery.

No Fun from Finback Brewery