Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by BlackHaddock on 05-29-2007

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 9
3.11/5  rDev +1%

Golden orange with an average sized white head with average retention that leaves a thick lacing after a minute or so.

Malts and a light caramel aroma make up most of the smell here, there is also some evidence of a fruity aroma too. This is followed up by a slightly skunky smell, although not a strong one thankfully.

Grassy hops flavour & some nice citrus fruits although these are light on the palate. There is some grain in there too and a sort of sour, bitter taste at the end.

Lots of carbonation in this one & a good bit of fizz as a result, the beer is light bodied but not as light as some.

Not a bad ale but the taste is a bit all over the place & that alone lets it down slightly. Miles ahead of the cask version I tried a few weeks back though.

1001 Beers to try:

3.26/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

A: Neutral copper, very clear. Very little head, a few small bubbles.

S: Flat, grainy, and metallic.

T: Nice sharp carbonation, citrus-sour grain, clean malty finish. The taste doesn't stick around for long.

M: Simultaneously smooth and stimulating. Nice!

D: Kinda boring, but easy to drink. Not recommended, but a good enough brew.

1.36/5  rDev -55.8%

I tried this beer while traveling, and was greatly unimpressed, especially considering how many great Scottish ales I had tried up to that point.

The beer itself is a light amber that poured with no head. The taste... the best I can come describe it is as a soapy butterscotch that resulted in me spitting out the mouthful. A second mouthful was unfortunately no better, resulting in me pouring out the remainder of my glass.

3.17/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Fairly golden looking but head disappeared before my eyes.

S - Sweet almost wheatish aroma.

T - Almost unpleasant, dominated by a spicyness and some sweetness that did not appeal.

M - Decent enough carbonation.

D - Probably OK if you would have liked the taste but really not for me.

Wanted it to be better, but maybe just a personal view and you should form your own opinion. make up your own mind.

4.2/5  rDev +36.4%

I was given this at a relatives house to accompany my dinner, which I gladly accepted over the other choice of lager.

The beer pours a light amber colour with a lively, bubbly head that quickly disapeared to suds.

The pleasant and surpringly sweet aromas were dominated by malts and toffee with a faint hint of nuts. The Taste is initially hoppy with a malty aftertaste accompanied by a biscuit (ish) flavour along with a slight hint of toffee.

The beer had a surprisingly good mouthfeel, I expected it to be thin and watery, however the body was just slightly above medium. Perfect for a light colour beer.

I was very surprised with this beer, I did not expect to enjoy it as I preffer darker beers. However this won me over and I was gutted that only one was available. Very refreshing beer, yet maintains a good body. I would definately drink it again.

2.97/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer was tasted at the Bateman's brewery beer festival in late May 2007.

Gravity poured into a half pint sleeve glass.

The beer had no head what so ever, which put me off straight away. It was more of an amber colour than gold (as its name suggested).

Hint of malt, bready aroma.

Sweetish, with a fruity, hoppy charactor, bitterness arriving later in the mouthfeel.

Not a bad beer, but the headless delivery put me off, there were plenty of better beers at the fest, that is for sure!

Lomond Gold from Bridge Of Allan Brewery Ltd
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.