Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Train Wreck Of Flavor | Delafield Brewhaus

Style: American Barleywine

Added by Bighuge on 06-17-2004

Reviews by ZAP:
4.47/5  rDev 0%

Top notch effort here...Billed as a blend of their 4 year old "Old Number 27 Barleywine" with Harrison's Old Ale and aged in a whiskey barrel..it is indeed tasty...very sweet...but not overdone....leans more towards the old ale in my opinion...nice subtle whiskey notes...sweet dark fruits...a nice hop addition balances it ever so slightly...I REALLY wanted a growler of this but they would not put it in growlers (too high of alcohol they said)...

I'm glad I got a chance to try this...I doubt I will get a taste of it again...

4.5/5  rDev 0%

This is one of 2 Special Fifth Anniversary beers. Unfortunately, they were already out of the other (a 10% Imperial IPA) when I visited. And they did NOT offer this in a growler to go.

They describe this as a blend of their 4 year old "Old Number 27 Barleywine" with Harrison's Old Ale and aged in a whiskey barrel.

It pours a crimson/auburn tone with a slight beige head. The head surprisingly lasts a good while. And the lace is sporadic and patchy. The aroma hits the nose with some force. Freshly ground almonds mix with strong notes of vanilla and sweet bourbon. Big, sweet malt tones are noticeable on the nose as well. The palate follows suit. A powerhouse of flavor this beer does indeed pack. Tremendously sweet without being cloying. Some noticeable PacNW hops add balance. Sweet bourbon and vanilla bean. Slight alcohol. Although for 12%, it's really almost absent. This fucker is quite smooth. What a great experiment. I only wish I could have toted a growler of this nectar home.

Train Wreck Of Flavor from Delafield Brewhaus