She Wore a Cranberry Beret

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Oh_Dark_Star from Washington

2.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured easy into a tall tulip. Four finger head dissipates quickly to a half finger open lace. Color is tinges reddish but appears like a filtered double IPA. Sour berry (unripened strawberry for me more than cranberry) on the nose with Belgian acridity. Tastes very tart. I want to include that I enjoy drinking 100% cranberry juice, but for this beer it was not friendly to my (likely unrefined) palate. I don't know if this had any Belgian direction/components but it comes off that way a bit. Kind of one note with weight lighter than the ABV would imply. Not a big fan.

May 27, 2019
kemoarps from Washington

3.84/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'll be honest, I don't find this beer aesthetically pleasing. Kind of a muddy grapefruit juice ruby orange brown concoction. Fizzy head settles back down pretty quick into a ring and a spot. Good thing looks are the least important component of the beer!!

Nose is much more appealing with big citrus and gummy fruity hops taking the lead in. Tangerine perhaps and maybe some bubble gum and rose.

Tart and bitter. Cranberry gives it a sharp, bitingly bitter character and is fairly intense. Underneath that initial bite rides a ribbon of berry richness along with more citrus and a dull earthy thrum of bittering. It does feel like a bit of a bell curve though with the big swell in the middle, but like there should be more on the lead in and the followthrough. Thin body with bright effervescence and a lingering dull bitterness like biting into a cranberry or unripe berry.
I enjoy it and think it does a good job of what it set out to do, but I think it's more solid than great.

As I work through the glass and it warms up a bit it grows on me some more. The complaints of missing depth are somewhat assuaged and the depth and richness of flavour (both nose and tongue) are improved. I'm not going to adjust any of the ratings, but my overall impression has improved.

Apr 28, 2019