Black Hog Down | Black Hog Brewing Co.

3.67/5

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 26
4.06/5  rDev +10.6%

A: opaque; cola brown with lighter brown along the edges; 1 finger medium tan head that receded to a splotchy cap; very nice lacing;

S: citrus first, then bittersweet chocolate;

T: citrus and roasted grain up front, then bittersweet chocolate through the finish; mild to moderate bitterness at the end; a little coffee in the aftertaste;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: I liked it from the first sniff, but the complexity of the flavor grew with each sip;

3.07/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from a can into my TH teku
pours black- not motor oil, but darker than cola. serious lacing from the light tan head.
smells.... bad. almost like ammonia.
I try it anyway. bitter, roasted coffee. no cat piss. but I can't finish.

4.04/5  rDev +10.1%

On-tap 1/27/2017 at Natty Greene’s Tavern in North Attleboro, MA, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep brown color, with a short dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and some citrus.

T: The taste starts out bready with a hearty roasted malt character up front followed by a good burst of floral hops bitterness. Some sweet flavors of chocolate, coffee and citrus bring a good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly hoppy.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, this is a solid beer to drink for a while if you’re in the mood for the style.

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pouring a cellar temp 16 oz can into a large snifter. The beer pours a deep cola brown color with fluffy tan head of 4 cm. The head fades slowly to a single large fluffy island and leaves windowpane lattice on my glass.
There is a bit of a grassy and roasted malt and a bit of dark chocolate with some dank resinous notes mixed together in a balanced nose of malt and hops. In general the nose is a little mild for the beer.
The first sip reveals an average body with fine and tingly carbonation that rolls across my palate. The texture is smooth and a little sticky after each swallow with a coating on my palate.
Flavor is roasted almost charred malt with again the dark chocolate. I get a little resiny hops that lingers long after each swallow. The slightly burnt note is also present after the swallow. I dont get any of the booze from the 7.5% on this brew. I get a mix of burnt coffee and pine when I burp after the beer is almost empty from my glass. This is an interesting brew that is fairly robust in flavor. Im glad to have tried it and would buy it again if I saw available.

3.51/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap: Pours clear, dark brown in color with one inch head. Taste is pine, charred malt, and dark chocolate. Decent, above average American black ale. Nothing I would rush out for, but nothing I would pass on if offered to me either.

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Plan B. Pours a pitch black color with an inch of khaki head. Some lacing. The aroma is chocolate, roasted malts, and espresso. The taste is chocolate syrup, roasted malts, espresso, earth and charcoal. Not much in the way of hops on this one, tastes more like a porter. Still pretty good though. Some warming alcohol. Medium bodied. Overall, nothing special but decent enough.

Rarely have I ever had to send a beer back. This is one of those beers that I did send back. Upon the beer arriving at the table, I noticed a very unpleasant odor. It was the beer. If you have ever owned a cat, you will be familiar with the scent. Litter boxes all around the country are full of this odor. I have never had a beer smell like this in the past. I braved the scent and tasted it, not a good idea. You should avoid this one like the plague!

Black Hog Down from Black Hog Brewing Co.