The Hop Collective (THC): Vic Secret | Black Hog Brewing Co.

The Hop Collective (THC): Vic SecretThe Hop Collective (THC): Vic Secret
3.76/5
Very Good
The Hop Collective (THC): Vic SecretThe Hop Collective (THC): Vic Secret

Black Hog Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
blackhogbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 10
2.96/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours super hazy; rather luminous and orange-yellow. About a finger of creamy head and a solid amount of lacing. Love it.

I should have expected differently given the hop used but the nose was a letdown here. Very earthy and grainy on the nose; hardly anything sweet or appealing unless you're really into earthy hop profiles.

The taste is ridiculously dry and earthy - in fact, it tastes like what I imagine dissolving dirt into water tastes like. It's not the worst-tasting beer I've ever had, as I do tend to like a bit of earthiness in my hoppy beers, but this is an absolute bomb of nothing but literal sediment.

The feel is pretty thick and creamy, and would be excellent if I didn't feel like I was brushing sand out of my gums (though that was definitely influenced in the wrong way by the flavor and nose).

I've really enjoyed a few of Black Hog's beers (Hog Water, for example, is an excellent example of a New England-style IPA) but this one is not particularly drinkable at all for me. The other of their THC beers I've tried I wasn't a huge fan of either, but I couldn't bring myself to finish my glass of this. Better luck next time.

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a golden straw with minimal head and lots of lacing. Pleasant hop grain aroma. Tastes great...not necessarily less filling. Mouthfeel as one hopes for in a pale ale. Thoroughly enjpyable.

The Hop Collective (THC): Vic Secret from Black Hog Brewing Co.