Leaves A Mark (Rum Barrel-Aged) | Black Hog Brewing Co.

Leaves A Mark (Rum Barrel-Aged)Leaves A Mark (Rum Barrel-Aged)
4.31/5
Outstanding
Leaves A Mark (Rum Barrel-Aged)Leaves A Mark (Rum Barrel-Aged)

Black Hog Brewing Co.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2
4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampling a cellar temp 16 oz can poured into my snifter, 2018 vintage. Picked up at the brewery.
The beer pours a dark oil black color with no light passing through my glass. There is minimal beige head of 1 cm that fades quickly to a thin edge layer. The rum aroma is apparent as soon as the liquid starts filling my glass. I sniff deeper and also get some oak notes and a big boozy hit of rum and alcohol. I also do get some dark chocolate and raisin notes. No real hop character that I am picking up here. Definitely smells like a sipping beer to me.
The first sip reveals a smooth textured beer with fine fizzy carbonation. There is a bit of a coating effect on my palate after each sip. Body is fairly thick and this beer continues to be in the sipper category for me.
the flavor is rich and malty and less rum than the nose predicted. I get dark chocolate, figs, raisins and plums mixing with a bit of rum and some brown sugar. This is definitely on the sweeter side for an imperial stout and kind of boozy as I get a hit of warming after each swallow.
A nice big imperial stout that would be perfect for sitting in front of the fireplace on a cool fall evening. Another solid big beer from Black Hog!

Leaves A Mark (Rum Barrel-Aged) from Black Hog Brewing Co.