Walleye Chop | Bank Brewing Co.

Walleye ChopWalleye Chop

bankbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by budgood1 on 07-17-2010

3.27/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.12/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hop Lager, what more should I say?

2.79/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Ignored this beer for far too long as this is really a very enjoyable lager. Pours a clear amber color with a nice two finger head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. A couple rings of lacing is left down the glass. Already is better than 90% of the pale lagers out there.

Nothing really exciting about the aroma except for some floral/spicey hops that adds to the pale, grainy malt.

Clean grain taste that is slightly sweet. Hops brought some floral/spice flavor and bitterness but did not really surpise me with the levels. Little bit of lingering spice in the finish. It does make me want more.

They added oats to this brew and it does come through in the mouthfeel. Real smooth despite the lively carbonation. They walked a fine line and pulled it off.

This is a worthy lager that is worth trying. Could possibly pass this to BMC drinkers and they would enjoy it as well. Nice pint cans.

3.3/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a pleasant surprise to the end of the day when a co-worker had two cans for me because he knew I like to taste beers. My obsession with my major pursuits in life often prevents me from being this nice, and I should learn from Dave's fine example.

The beer to taste is Walleye Chop by Bank Beer Co in Hendricks, MN. I had a less that satisfactory sample last fall at the Autumn Brew Review. Being a light lager, a beer festival is hardly the place to get a good sampling of the lager. Guessing it was later in the day when I got to it, so it didn't fair well. Glad to have the opportunity to try a full can to give it a better evaluation.

Amber lager that's shimmering gold around the edges. Stark white head of irregular bubbles lingers lightly before falling to a thin film with no lace at all. Second glass had a solid lace though. Nose is a straight forward American lager that has a sweet biscuity malt and corn with a caramel backbone to support a stronger than average apple note along with a hint of spice from the hops. Very sweet base with an earthy hoppiness in the taste followed with a corn twang off the back. Light and easy to drink, but not thin. It has enough body to give it some heft for the style. From the website, I missed the oats, but the smooth flavor clearly reflects the addition. Aftertaste is pleasant and avoids the negative leftover from most macrolagers. If I found myself in a Northwoods hunter bar and Walleye Chop was in a tap line of macros, I'd ask for a pint. Clearly a better better than my initial taste, I'm glad I got this opportunity.

Directly west of the Twin Cities and barely short of the South Dakota line, Bank Beer Co follows some of your basic brew story: a homebrewer turned pro from dreaming around pints, but this one includes a Finnegans-like consciousness to make the world a better place. In this case, a portion of the profits go to preservation of land for hunting and local history. While I'm not a part of their primary hunting or beer demographic, I applaud Bank's effort to make their corner of the world a better place.

Picture at http://pintsizedrevelations.blogspot.com/2012/04/walleye-chop-lager-bank-beer-co.html

3.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Had 2 pint cans at the Trail Center Lodge on the Gunflint Trail.

A - Poured out a copper color with a one-finger, head of pillowy white foam. Very little lacing.

S - It smelled of pine and grasses. Smells like a hoppy lager.

T - It tasted of some biscuity malt with a slight piney bitterness. Nice spice, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied lager with a clean finish.

O - This is a pretty tasty pale lager. A nice find for where I was in the Northwoods.

3.11/5  rDev -9.1%

Woodychandler does it again with yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a copper color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, slightly sweet. Taste is a bit unusual, green apples up front, some malts, a touch of sweetness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

My heartiest thanks to the inimitible Chaz for his CANtinued and ongoing support of The CANQuest (TM) for this beauty! I have had it in the reefer cooling off awaiting my being able to take its picture and then its lightning-fast approval by Bro. Jason. Cheers to all involved! This will be my first entry for New Beer Sunday (Week 352).

From the CAN: "Walleye Chop is hand crafted hop lager, brewed with complex specialty malts and a touch of oats for a clear copper color. Walleye Chop is finished with the finest aroma hops for the beer with bite that is refreshing but keeps you looking for more. Enjoy!"; "Copper Lager"; "Enjoy responsibly and Please recycle"; beerforwildlife.com".

Holy Truth in Advertising, Batman! The Crack & Glug revealed a golden-coppery beauty that if this were someone's natural hair color, I would be proposing to her. Sorry, gents. It also garnered me a dense two fingers of rocky, tawny head with great retention. Nose had a nutty, biscuity, caramel scent to it. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a real riot of flavors on the tongue, including a buscuity maltiness along with some caramel malt sweetness and even some earthy hoppiness. I found this to be a pleasant surprise, given some of the previous reviewers' comments. Finish was semi-dry and definitely appealing to this self-avowed hophead. I CAN see having some in my cooler on Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually). I almost missed mentioning the fantastic lacing throughout, but I am amending my mistake by appending this to my review, not to be CANdescending.

And now for the unavoidable puns ... Wotta catch! I was hooked and now I gotta keep a walleye out for more. Let's go fishin' now. Everybody's learnin' how. Come on a fishing safari with me. By the MN Lakes Beach Boys.

Pours a very-clear* copper in color, topped with a rich, creamy pale tan head. Head is a good two-fingers and lacing is excellent.

Nose is rich and malty, as well as slightly metallic. The language on the can describes this as being a "hand crafted hop lager", whatever that means, and states that it's "finished with the finest aroma hops", but I detect very little aromatic hop presence -- some bitterness, yes, but that's it.

Sharp bitter-sweet tang on the first sip, notes of ripe, summery fruit (red and golden apple, light pear), and bitterness is there, but just barely. The lingering bitterness impresses as this one warms a little, and it's a nice counterpoint to the sweeter fruit profile. I'm catching a little of the Cold Spring 'house yeast' character, but it is very, very minimal.

There's something of a pale ale characteristic to this one, and that's not uncommon for some of the darker lagers (Vienna, Festbier) that I've enjoyed, as well as some fresh examples of all-malt lagers, but with this beer I'm not so sure. Although there's definitely some oxidation and hop-fade going on here, neither is so advanced to where this is a "bad" drink. A light touch of alcohol presents itself as this warms, giving this the impression of a stronger lager (Oktober/Fest) or pale ale, but it's not by any means 'hot'. As this has finally warmed to about 60 degrees I note an adjunct-like aftertaste, and reckon it is the flaked oats. It's not enough to put me off another beer, but it's worth making note of.

As I get further along in the drink I observe it again in the glass, and while the head has fallen completely there's still a light film atop the liquid. Moreover, there's fine yeast in suspension -- is this an amber Keller Bier?

Overall, I'm not really sure what this lager is supposed to be, stylistically-speaking. It's too dark to be a pale lager, but neither is it an all-malt amber lager, due to the addition of oats. It's not a Vienna Lager with an addition of oats, and it's not a traditional corn or rice adjunct lager. It's something else altogether, and the suspended yeast makes me wonder whether a small run of one of Cold Spring's many contract-brewed ales didn't get packaged into some Walleye Chop cans...

As such, I've given this one a score which reflects my impression of it as being one of the better examples of an American Adjunct Lager, although there have been some very good examples of late (Olympia 95%, Schlitz Gusto, even "Carling" Black Label!).

I would drink this one again, but wouldn't seek it out.

16 oz Rexam can; Production Code: AAAE 0739.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

Reviewed on 6-2-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A – Poured one finger of foam, light copper color with a fair amount of carbonation present, very clear brew

S – Slight malt with caramel aroma with some hops lingering about

T/M – Lighter bodied brew, malt comes first then a slight caramel sweetness, and there is a weird aftertaste that sticks to my taste buds

D – Drinkable brew with a lighter bodied taste, an interesting after taste that stuck to me. Can’t really describe the taste but don’t really care for it. This could have been a brew to drink during the summer months for me but I will have to pass

2.35/5  rDev -31.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Thin, weak head. Light caramel/amber color. Translucent.

S: Smells like like fresh baked bread with serious malt and grain aroma.

T: Upfront with a surprising hop that last all the way until the aftertaste. A bit overpowering for this style. Strange maltiness is off-putting. Slightly musty.

M: A little buttery. Withholding viscosity.

D: One, maybe. Not a happy drink.

www.beerforwildlife.com

Walleye Chop pours out a hazy copper tinted gold colour with a a frothy sticky head which leaves rings of lace. pale malt aroma with a definite flowery hop aroma. smells very nice. the taste is a combination of solid pale maltiness with a touch of creaminess from the oats used...followed by a spicy, grassy hop note and a subtle bitterness in the finish.

a pretty creative and enjoyable lager style beer that has some pils like qualities to it. a nice beer for summer or fishing i suppose.

quenching and tasty!

100% of the profits from this beer go to land acquisition supporting wildlife. please visit the website listed above.

contract brewed in Cold Spring, MN.

Walleye Chop from Bank Brewing Co.