Berliner Weisse

Added:
Jul 04, 2014
No description / notes.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews.
Reviewed by dgilks from Australia

4.31/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
This is the real deal - a fantastic, traditionally brewed Berliner Weisse. Complex combination of wheat, lactic sourness and Brettanomyces yeast character. Finishes dry and crisp to keep you coming back. A really, seriously good beer.
Jul 19, 2015
Reviewed by Jugs_McGhee from Colorado

3.24/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
Bogk-Bier “Berliner Weisse”

.33L brown glass bottle with appealing label art and unbranded silver pry-off pressure cap acquired at Hopfen Und Malz in Berlin, Germany a few days ago for 4 euro. As of this writing (06.03.14), this is still a difficult beer to find in Berlin, and the shop owner pressed me a bit to make sure I was in the know before retreating into the back to grab a bottle for me.

Batch #27. 2% ABV. Reviewed from notes as a Berliner weisse; in actuality this is perhaps the only true Berliner Weisse in the sense that it is brewed with an isolated strain of brettanomyces yeast used in the Berliner weissebiere of the 1980s. Expectations are extremely high as a result. I usually love most Berliner weissebiere, so this should be a real treat.

Served cold into a Berliner Kindl Weisse glass. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it’s poured.

HEAD: Pours no head whatsoever – not even a floater ring. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

BODY: Dark murky yellow-copper of average vibrance. I don’t see any suspended yeast particles or hop sediment. It seems thin and even weak, but then at 2% I suppose it is indeed weak.
Not unique or special. Pretty underwhelming for a Berliner weisse to be honest. The lack of head and weak-looking body are troublesome, but I’m optimistic.

AROMA: Some lemon twang, with some accompanying esters. Clean barley. Notable sourness – lacto definitely, and I suppose some sour brettanomyces (like the type I remember drinking in an Ommegang beer some time ago; not the funky brettanomyces we’re all accustomed to in a saison). I also find some cereals. The sourness is lovely, albeit not too intense, but so far this isn’t seeming all that different from any other Berliner weisse I’ve had. It’s a pleasant aroma of mild strength, but I don’t notice any truly unique characteristics.

No hop character, alcohol, or other off-notes are detectable.

TASTE: Lemon zest. Cereals. Barley. Mild wheat. Pleasing sourness – about a 3/10 in terms of intensity; certainly not puckering. Some hints of sourness are not lacto-induced at all, but never cross into funky territory. I guess that’s the old brettanomyces? Honestly, it’s not all that interesting and I doubt I’d find it if I wasn’t looking for it. I’d much prefer more sourness. The citrusy twang is nice.

Overall, this doesn’t have much depth of flavor. Flavour duration and flavor intensity are average. It’s definitely a cohesive and balanced beer with a nice flavor profile, but nothing here truly separates this from other Berliner weissbieren. I like it, but it’s far from amongst the best I’ve had in the style.

TEXTURE: Well-carbonated. Twangy. Smooth, wet, and very refreshing and quenching. Light in body. Not at all overbearing on the palate. This texture complements the taste quite well, but doesn’t feel custom-tailored specifically to it.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

OVERALL: Of course I respect this as a means of investigating and carrying on brewing history, but I’ve had far better beers in the style, and they didn’t need the cachet of a near-extinct yeast strain to achieve greatness. The cynic in me wants to raise the point that the reclaimed brettanomyces could at its heart be just a marketing gimmick – after all, I can imagine a gimmicky brewery like Dogfish Head pulling something like that – but I doubt that’s really the case. This is ultimately a solid Berliner weisse and a damn drinkable one, but don’t expect it to blow your mind. I’d like to age a few of these out of curiosity, but I can’t see a justification for trading for it or going out of your way to seek it out.

High C+