Cottonwood Endo India Pale Ale

From:
Carolina Beer Company

North Carolina, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Cottonwood Endo India Pale AleCottonwood Endo India Pale Ale
Notes:
Reviews: 179 | Ratings: 196
4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Served on draft at their outlet in the Charlotte airport (See my review of that location for more info.)

Rather red for an an IPA, but a persistent not-quite-white head with good lacing. Aroma gives you a quick blast of citrusy hops followed by some toasty malts. The flavor is a nice balance between a wall-of-hops blast that covers the field from bitterness to flavor to more of the aroma, a little piney flavor coming into play. The brewer wasn't afraid to bring the malts up to play in the same league as the hops, with enough sweetness to parry the hops and body to protect the palate from the hop astringency. All in all a good beer that encourages ordering a second round.

Picked this up as part of a Pick 6 Pack at Food City in Gatlinburg, TN in mid-November. Though it's been stored in my mini fridge since, I can tell this beer is past its prime. Still, here goes my review...

Appearance -- Poured into my favorite beer glass, my Duvel tulip, I get a nice frothy three inch head that quickly dissipates with minimal lacing.

Smell -- Not much initially... Given some time to warm up to room temperature, I don't get much more than what I'd expect with a stale Budweiser.

Taste -- Tastes like a very average IPA... Tastes like a very weak pale ale, in fact.

Mouthful -- Like a PBR on steroids... Very fizzy, not much else.

Drinkability -- One and done. Not much going on here.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this on-tap before so wanted to try the bottle...and it is different. While the body and aroma are the same (golden body, good fizzy head that dies quick but leaves lacing on top of a citric, hoppy aroma w/ minor malts), the citric hop taste is less pronounced. Who knows, maybe an old bottle or something, but the citric hop bitterness and some spice and light sweet malt notes are there but there isn't as great as a balance as before and it just comes across as good, not great.

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%

I drank this along side of Mad Hatter IPA. Comparatively, I thought Endo IPA did not have very good head retention or carbonation. It poured red/brown, which I was not expecting. Red ales and lagers aren't usually my favorites, and this beer had the strong malt presence that I associate with red styled beers. It did have a certain woodiness that made it different, so I can appreciate that. This just isn't my preferred style, if you lean toward the reds, check this one out!

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

A - deep amber with little head

S - Pleasant almost pefumy and floral

T- Balanced hoppy burst settling into expected bitterness which doesn't overstay its welcome.

M- Crisp, clean, well-carbonated.

D- Not the fanciest IPA I've ever had but I could easily drink a few of these. This IPA does not try to overwhelm you with flowery hops that can at times seem overwhelming in other beers of this style.

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured out with a nice copper color and a thick silky head. Carbonation is tight and small. Boooom! Citrusy hop aroma straight to the face with a caramel malt roast! So I take a sip and I taste oak wood and roasted bready notes with this Chuck Norris kick of lemony citrusy hops. The taste of an aok barrle is much appreciated. Lots of lacing along the glass. So it has a nice drying mouthfeel, it is moderate bodied and was high gravity when brewed. I can have a few of these but this is a slow sipper to be enjoyed and not belted down. Excellent beer!

2.79/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured to a pint glass. There's a nice full off white head that only extends about one finger but seems to be dissipating. The beer also seems to have decent carbonation.

This smells more like an English style IPA to me than an American. I'm picking up more pale malts than hop aroma. It has that English green raisin fruit aroma to it.

It tastes just like it smells. Very forward with the malt flavor and not much on the hops except for the bitter bite, I'm not picking up any aroma or flavor hops in this one.

It's a pretty full bodied beer with a thick mouthfeel, almost slick.

a- nice dark amber color, nice foamy head with good duration
s- nice (but mild) caramel/citrus scent
t- nice caramel and hoppy taste, decent amount of bitterness, reminds me a little of jockamo but i think i like this better
m- medium thickness, maybe a slight creamy texture
d- this is one of the better beers ive tried this weekend in ashevill, nc. definitely give this a shot if you like amber beers and ipas

3.39/5  rDev -5.8%

i'll give my brief notes here since my wife is yelling at me to come to dinner...

a - outstanding pour with a dark amber clarity and thick excellent formation...hangs on to the glass and leaves a nice cloudy ring

s - not much for boasting of so much hops...what you do get is slight sweet orange slices

t - again, pretty easy going for an ipa whose names is compared to going over the handlebars on a bike...the hops are king with this beer, but is a tad too metallic for me

m and d - really though a great drinking beer that is sharp and crisp...

overall i wish i had more taste with this one...i like carolina beer though and want to support my local breweries...but if you like ipas you will at least enjoy this one...

(enjoyed this one while listening to an acoustic version of bon iver's 'flume')

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this in a bottle at Diamond Shoals restaraunt in Buxton, while honeymoonin'.

Pours a clear golden tan with a bit of frothy white head. Poor retention and mild lacing.

Smells strongly of hops, a bit of a citrus note, fresh water.

Taste is pronounced, sharp and dry citrus hop. Citrus notes are weak, a bit of spice on the back.

Mouthfeel is crisp, light bodied. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability is average. I'd have no more than one of these in a sitting, but maybe I would with the right pairing.

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

I tried this beer at a bar called A Taste of Carolina in the Charlotte International Airport. It poured a medium brown color with a thin ivory-white head. When held up to the light it acquired a pleasingly orange glow. I detected some malty sweetness in the nose, but little else. Medium bodied and mildly carbonated with an initial nutty flavor followed by some fruitiness around the edges, Cottonwood Endo finishes as an IPA should--dry and hoppy. In the end I wanted more bitterness, but I'd still consider it quite sessionable in spite of its relative strength.

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%

A-Pours a reddish copper color with a thick two finger, off-white head.

S-Rich caramel with grapefruit and some pine hop notes.

T-Bitter pine and a little grapefruit with a heavy caramel malt backbone.

M-Pretty thick and sticky in the mouth for an IPA. Medium to hevay bodied with medium carbonation.

D-Honestly the heavy caramel malt and thick mouthfeel hurt the drinkability for me. It's a pretty good beer but it's a beer that's hard to get through a six pack of (not in one night, over an extended period of time).

2.38/5  rDev -33.9%

Appearance: Poured a clear copper color. One finger white head with below average retention. Moderate visible carbonation. Some lacing.

Smell: Watery biscuit malts with with some dark fruit hops. A hit of adjunct corn. Dark moderate sweetness.

Taste: Bitter bite of corn adjunct with a biscuit malts. Roasted flavors. Dark fruit flavors again, but very mild and not right for an IPA. Long sour linger.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a bitter bite and some carbonation bite.

Drinkability: Too dark and malty for an IPA, with a sour and bitter adjunct tilt. Easier to drink out the bottle than the glass, very unusual for an IPA.

Buy Again? No.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

A- Pours a pretty clear amber color with a thin white head. Head has good retention, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on top, but not too much lacing is left behind. Darker in color than most IPA's.

S- A good balance of caramel malts, citrusy hops and pine.

T- Again a good balance of roasted, nutty caramel malts, and Earthy bitter hops. Nothing overpowering here by any means.

M- Fuller side of medium in body and carbonation seemed right on.

D- Very easy to drink. I enjoyed this one for sure.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Served from bottle into Stone nonic. Pours a deep brown with apparent sediment throughout with a minimal off-white head. There was no apparent lacing. The aroma was comprised of malt and hops. The flavor was light on the hops with a sour malt presence with a crisp finish. It was medium on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a nice brew. It could have used more flavor and aroma notes to make it much better. However, it was not a bad brew and is worth trying if you get the chance.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

A: Dark copper color, slightly murky with little head that faded quickly.

S: Very sweet smell. Traces of berrys and other fruits.

T: Initially hits you with the sweet berrys that come across in the smell. Then the hops and bitterness come through and linger on the tongue. Hops end up overpowering most of the other flavors.

M: Decent chew to the beer, more than I expected for an IPA.

D: Drinkable, but too hoppy for me to have another.

Overall: Overall, it's a decent IPA. The balance is very strong on the hops and bitterness end. I would have preferred some more of the sweet aroma to come across in the taste. If you like hoppy IPAs, you will like this beer.

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%

On tap at the CBC stand in the Charlotte airport, 3/11/10.

A-Pours a clear light amber with hints of gold. A fluffy off white head and lots of good lacing.

S-Faint diacetyl notes along with sweet malt and some earthy hops.

T-Good caramel malt in the front and some subtle earthy hops and some buttery notes.

M-Medium bodied, a bit slick.

D-It was exciting to see a craft beer stand at CLT and by the standards of most airport bars, this was pretty good. I would not seek it out otherwise though..

HV

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to ROBORB for dropping this extra into a recent trade. For those keeping score at home this is beer #2 on a Thursday night, for me that qualifies as a "long week beer". Is it Friday yet?

Pours a classic slightly off-red IPA color into my Bell's Oberon pint glass. Nose is tangy, sweet, pleasant hops with a side helping of odd fruitiness.

Endo IPA continues the odd on the drink. Drink. Pause. Try to identify. What? Is this an IPA, really? Let me try that again. The malts are all over this, but not in a way that drowns out the fairly mild hop hammer. That hammer is dropped by a four-year old, & only after the malts are only a memory as the beer is sliding, sliding, down towards where such liquids are processed. Slightly, generically fruity, only two fingers of hops on the scale, dominated by mild, sweet malts. That combo leads to a slightly thicker IPA, but one that's easier to drink.

I normally want my hops hoppy, but this works. Not the best beer I've ever had, but good. Definitely in the category I would call a "gateway" beer, with just enough hops to identify, but an inoffensive, mild taste profile that wouldn't scare anyone off. Nice effort, good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from tap into a 22 once tulip style glass at the Carolina Beer Company in the Charlotte Airport.

A: A dark copper orange color with a one finger off white head. Nice full sticky glass lacing.

S: Nice cascade dry hop smell with a rich malt caramel smell. Not a huge nose but very pleasant.

T: I get the citrus hop bite with notes of orange, grapefruit, lemon and some grassy flavors. The sweeter toffee and caramel with a but of sugar malt takes over the hops to smooth the beer out. Malt stays on the finish as some of the hops come back to make a little lingering bitterness. Balanced a bit on the sweeter side of IPAs.

M: Medium, not overly coating, a bit bitter but not mouth puckering bitter. No alcohol flavor.

D: Pretty high, I had a few pints of this beer and each was enjoyable.

Overall a balanced IPA that is a sweeter maltier beer but still carries a nice hop kick. A nice beer but not an award winner. Glad I tried it though and it was enjoyable drinking it while waiting for my plane.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle on 8/8/09.

A - Murky chestnut brown with lots of particles, not much foam, just a ring of bubbles

S - piney and citrus hops, sweet malt, i smell grapefruit

T - piney hops, light sweet malt, seems to be watered down

M/D - ok, but nothing special going on here, no need to try again

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Enjoyed this one with dinner at Sweet Basil's in Greensboro, NC. It showed a deep copper color with a modest white cover that dissipates to a partial ring and fair webs of lacing. The aroma is malty fruit nougat and firm pine hop. Somewhat sweet and quite edibly attractive. The first taste meets my tongue with a spritzy somewhat watery biscuit pine hop. Not nearly as balanced or as delicious as the aroma but it mellows a bit and settles into a fairly hoppy drinkable refreshment. There's toffee and butterscotch. It's on the light side but it comes out alright in the end.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this with me - poured chilled from the 12oz into a tulip pint

A - A dark almost russet amber w/ thick frothy whipped + irridescent appearance. The beer has floaters -yeast sedimentI am guessing which doesn't settle completely

S - The aroma is strange herbal almost beefy nose w/ slight piney notes and mild cherry-like tinge

M - The feel is sweet w/ moderately carbonated and very mild bitterness level w/ gentle astringent and semi-dry finish w/ light spice

T - The Ipa tastes like bitter dried herbs w/ mild caramel malts and spiced yeast accents are there, but it is a pretty one note taste. The flavor is mild with nutty malt as the hops seem too astringent + puckering w/ medicinal edge for my taste. The twang of yeast in the taste and the yeast gives off a slight stale cardboard taste

D - The IPA is not a beer I would return to, I consider this a poor example of the style, less than average drinkability. If you want a hop fix, maybe - but I could think of a better local IPA to fill that role

1.81/5  rDev -49.7%

It looks like muddy water. Put another way, it looks more like a brown or a red than the IPAs of which I've become so fond. I expected more of a golden bronze. Nice carbonation and the heady top has staying power, but the lacing is lacking--within seconds, it disappears.

The smell is more caramel malts than anything else. Again, this brew seems crazily uncharacteristic of the style. There is a burnt, biscuity quality characteristic of an amber like Fat Tire. When hoppy yumminess is among the favorite of flavors to flirt with my nasal passages, this nose is just short of awful.

Irrespective of style, the taste is okay. In context of my heavily sought after IPAs, this beer falls WAY short. It's biscuits and toasted almonds and--even as I try to get seasonal as I set up the Christmas tree and gear up for the holidays--overly spicy. There's a pepperness there that's just absolutely inappropriate for an American IPA. Though I've slowly learned to analyze beers in reference to their styles, I quickly offer that this beer here is inappropriately classified. An okay amber, perhaps, but this is an unimpressive IPA.

It's an underhopped IPA. If it's a malted taste I want, it's not an American IPA I'll grab from the grocer shelves. Is there something in the "Endo" part of the name that I'm failing to identify and consider? I actually thought I'd embrace the endo quality of anything.... For the India Pale Ale this purports to be, the mouthfeel is nothing short of awful.

As I finish this one, I'm disappointed I have five more. I saw the Bros. thought highly of this one, so perhaps that'll help me rationalize throwing this one in as an extra or something. I drink more IPAs than anything, and I'd just as soon never again sip on this hometown honor. Kind of cliche around these parts, but the Bros. don't like criticism without suggestion: add more hops!

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

received in a trade with briarscratch, thanks brad!!

a- bottle poured into a pint, quarter inch of bubbly head that fades into a nice pattern of lace (looks like a cactus haha), orangey amber coloring, loads of carbonation.

s- thick caramel malt mixes with a touch of fruit maybe a bit of tart peach, ends with dry biscuit and a touch of hops and some roast.

t- this is an ipa with a bit of balance, roasty, nutty caramel malt hits upfront then blends into a earthy bitter hop smack to the back of the mouth, bitterness isn't overly intense but lingers a long while.

m- slick, chewy medium bordering on a bit heavy body, nice though.

d- very drinkable, more balanced than the run of the mill ipa, it's got more malt characteristics that enjoy with the great hop bitterness still standing out, i could have a few of these, glad i got this in a trade.

3.39/5  rDev -5.8%

From notes. Found this one passing through Charlotte airport. pours slightly hazy, orange/bronze, active, with moderate white head that fades promptly. SMELL is faint. grainy with vague hint of hops. disappointing. TASTE is better than the nose. Grainy, mile bitterness, citrusy hops, perceptible malty base. Fairly balanced, some lingering bitterness. FEEL lightly carbonated, light/medium body. Dry bitter finish. OVERALL easy drining and enjoyable.

Cottonwood Endo India Pale Ale from Carolina Beer Company