Chocolate Coffee Stout

From:
Broken Compass Brewing

Colorado, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 20 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
ArrogantB from Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

On tap at the brewery in Breckenridge. Dark black. Aroma is liek bakers chocolate or semisweet chocolate, I can;t call it. Little to no coffee in the flavor but definite chocolate. Not bad.

Jun 14, 2016
ONovoMexicano from New Mexico

3.5/5  rDev -19%

The name of the beer suggested a rich chocolatey, coffee brew, but I didn't find it as robust and flavorful as the name suggested. The coffee and chocolate simply weren't that easy to detect. I'd have taken more of either.

Jun 29, 2015
StonedTrippin from Colorado

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sensational brew, frankly way too good to have come from a brewery I never heard of until I went it, it's insane, easily the best beer they make, but maybe one if the best beers in Colorado, and further, one of the best coffee beers on the planet! I mean that, it's glorious. Mocha brown in color with the kind of oatmeal frothy lace head you expect in the style, but nothing out of the ordinary. The smell is where it's made, rich and fresh espresso cream, Belgian dark chocolate, and the kind of malt base you build to show off, oaty, roasty, and creamy with one curious smell I couldn't place until I tasted the beer, a middle and finishing sweetness that is neither coffee or chocolate. In the taste, the coffee certainly leafs the way, but the rich and velvety stout underneath keeps insisting this is beer. The chocolate is bitter, but it's needed to balance that sweetness, which I now am convinced is maple syrup, dark amber, the genuine article, i can taste it in my mustache. If it's not in there than I need to learn more about this grain bill, because I swear it's in there. So creamy in feel. With the slightest coffee acidity to cut through the richness. Stunning by any measure. Artfully crafted. One of those beers I will never forget, and am dying to have again. I could drink ten of these in a sitting, and this beer has endeared me to this brewery forever. Truly memorable beer. Go get some!!!

Mar 01, 2015