Pill Hill Vanilla Porter

Very Good
Pill Hill Vanilla PorterPill Hill Vanilla Porter
Notes: None
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by BlackBeerPirate from Illinois

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Taste: rich, dry roasted notes, rye bread, some toffee, vanilla bean flavors. Toasted baker's chocolate, malt nose. Black/Brown hue, mostly opaque, tan thick cake of foam, ring lace. Medium full body.
Aug 12, 2018

Rated: 4 by Chris-1911 from Illinois

Oct 17, 2015
Reviewed by WoodBrew from Ohio

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
The Pill Hill porter is decent. The beer poured a opaque dark with tan head that did not leave a lace. The scent is roasty. The taste was mostly coffee with hints of vanilla. The beer finishes dry. The Mouthfeel was lighter in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's a good beer but not nearly the best porter that I've had.
Oct 14, 2015
Reviewed by KevChiTown

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
All I'm getting is the rye. It sorta reminds me of Black Rye from Founders but softer. I don't pick up the vanilla beans. Still a pretty nice beer from a new local brewer
May 05, 2015

Rated: 3.25 by tmryan21 from Illinois

Apr 30, 2015

Rated: 3.83 by StoutItOutLoud from Illinois

Apr 08, 2015
Rated by KeithE from Illinois

4.15/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
This is definitely worth trying. I wasn't familiar with 51st Ward Beer Company and thought this beer was quite good.
Mar 28, 2015

Rated: 3.75 by arlingtonjoe from Illinois

Dec 23, 2014
Reviewed by duckyboycantfly from Illinois

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
Can glass, served at 48 F.

Each sip offers up a different flavor, but the vanilla beans seem to dominate (to the point of almost banana like, when combined with the rye). Mouth feel is spot on to what I'd want out of a porter, still learning my aromas so not going to comment on that. A nice porter, one I would order again to share with friends just to hear their takes on this odd beer.
Dec 12, 2014

Rated: 3.75 by Localdrinklax from Wisconsin

Nov 18, 2014
Reviewed by joe1510 from Illinois

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
22oz Bomber
$7.99
Maria's Package Store - Chicago

Pill Hill pours like the blackest of coffee. It fills the pint, obsidian, with chestnut highlights along the bottom and sides. The foam is dense mocha and though it slowly fades to a chunky cap it leaves fluffy sheet lacing on its way covering every square cm of glass. A damn fine looking porter if I do say so myself.

The nose is interesting and a bit different than I expected. A sturdy roastiness runs throughout and is the obvious backbone of this porter. A little caramalized sugar adds some depth, and sweetness, while dark berries add some fruitiness, which I always enjoy. The unique aspect is that of underripe banana that I have to say fits pretty well. This heaping helping of porter is finished off with a complimentary peppery alcohol finish.

The flavor profile tends to deviate from the nose thought the overall components are the same. The roast isn't as robust and comes along mid-palate in a more dark roast coffee & cream sort of way. The front end is peppery berries and a touch of that alcohol, again spicy, that reminds me a bit of smoke. The roast lingers through when it's met by the vanilla beans, though they taste a little artificial. I believe that's where I was getting the banana in the nose...

A moderate body feels a little lighter when combined with the lively bubbles. The roast shines on the mouthfeel adding some bitterness to the already dry finish. That I am a fan of. The dryness leaves me almost parched and needing another drink. At 6%+ I could drink this for a little while.

51st Ward makes some solid beers, as far as I know since this is only my second from them. Pill Hill is an all around good porter. It's roasty, dry, and highly drinkable. The vanilla gets a little artificial at times, but not much. My favorite aspect is the soft, peppery alcohol that brightens up the backend. I'd pick this guy up again.
Nov 07, 2014
Reviewed by emerge077 from Illinois

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
Dark burnt mahogany color, dark tan foam rises after each pour, leaving behind a substantial amount of spotty lace and a thin coffee stained collar around the edges of the beer.

Aroma is dry and roasty, the vanilla bean lends a mild sweetness but otherwise is in the background.

Taste is mainly ashy blackened roast malt, dried plantain chips, and soft traces of vanilla in the periphery. Medium bodied and smooth with a fair amount of roasty coffee bitterness. Light astringency. Overall this is a good porter, looking forward to other 51st Ward beers.
Nov 04, 2014

Rated: 4.5 by SCZ from Illinois

Oct 31, 2014
Reviewed by joeseppy from Illinois

4.51/5  rDev +16.2%
Somewhat of a viscous pour. Dark brown with roughly a half inch mocha had that will disappear to the rim.

Robust aroma. Malty chocolate aroma. Scant vanilla extract. Roasty.

Delicious raw vanilla and mild hop. Mild sweetness and dusty cocoa powder. Roasted malts. A pleasant balance. The vanilla is blended in extremely well.

Creamy texture with subtle carbonation. Medium body.

I couldn't let this warm even a little since I put it down rather quickly. A deeper Porter than other "name brands" that I've had-a lot of character. Vanilla or not it's rather a very delicious Porter. I find it somewhat sessionable. I even feel like this may be the best Porter I've had thus far. Not sure where the rye is fitting in-my palate is not refined enough. Tremendously tremendous!
Oct 26, 2014