Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

High Brow Barista Coffee Rye Pale Ale | Platform Beer Co.

High Brow Barista Coffee Rye Pale AleHigh Brow Barista Coffee Rye Pale Ale
3.93/5
Very Good
High Brow Barista Coffee Rye Pale AleHigh Brow Barista Coffee Rye Pale Ale

Platform Beer Co.
Ohio, United States
platformbeer.co

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by nhirsch04 on 01-22-2017

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

From the 12 oz can in a snifter via Savor Growl in Columbus.
This nice pale pours a lightly hazed medium amber with a nice head of
white dissipating foam that subsides to a thick ring, thin pooling layer,
and showcases nice sudsy lacing. Nose of mild coffee and subtle
spicy rye notes with a touch of caramel malt. Flavors nail it with a
rich coffee note awash in spicy rye notes and touched with light caramel
malt to bring in balance with the medium herbal hop note. Excellent
mouth feel; medium carbonation, medium body, and a rich coffee
finish. Overall a SOLID pale ale that is a fantastic and unique hybrid.

Cheers

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My beloved Stillers are visiting the hated Kleveland Klowns & I wanted to drink something appropriate to mark the ocCANsion. We recently began getting distro of Platform Beer Co.'s CANs & since I am a CANnoiseur & not a CANnibal, instead of drinking their blood, I will be drinking their fermented malt-based beverages from a CANtainer formed from aluminum in a cylindrical form. Viva The CANQuest (tm)! Here we go, Stillers, here we go!

From the CAN: "Malts: Pilsner, Pale, Rye, CaraPils, Caramel 35 Hops: Columbus, Saaz Yeast: San Diego Adjunct: Dry Bean Coffee"; "Dry Beaned*Spicy Rye*Crisp Finish"; "Fresh. CLE. Beer."

I have to admit that this one has me intrigued. I love coffee & I have (at least) a cup every day. The inclusion of rye in beer sparked my renewed interest in Rye Whisky. The CANbination of the two may be just the ticket. I Crack!ed open the CAN & got a light spritz across my fingertips, which turned out to be the CANsequence of yet another brimful craft CAN. I then CANmenced a slow, gentle Glug since I could not justify an inverted one. Once it was deCANted, an in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, eggshell-white head with decent retention, leaving behind modest lacing in its wake. Color was an oh-so-barely-hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) & I will be watching to see if it clarifies as I drink through it. I am willing to give it the benefit of chill haze doubt since I keep my reefer pretty cold for food 'n' 'at. Nose was rich with coffee. Mmm. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but certainly big for an APA. If you have not exbeerienced rye malt in alcohol, it produces a peppery mintiness, not peppermint, per se, but a cool spiciness. Here, it was like sprinkling pepper into coffee. In the Navy, we used to try all sorts of things with our precious coffee & we found that cinnamon with the grounds really worked to smooth the acidity. Another time, some of the gunners & I tried gunpowder stirred in & I do NOT recommend that! We were so amped up that it took the better part of a day to come down, but we got a lot of work done in the interim. Here, I got a cool, spicy mintiness to acCANpony the coffee flavor. It was nice, but I felt unfulfilled. I think that simply rye in a base APA would have been good or simply coffee in a base APA, but the CANbination was not quite doing it for me. In fact, it was setting off a Hophead Jones in me. Looking over, the clarity was increasing, so I am willing to blame chill haze for its earlier haziness. Finish was dry, but not as dry as that initial Gose from them. This was refreshing & if I had enjoyed the taste a little more, I would have been more willing to reCANmend it. Instead, it was more of a one and done novelty. YMMV.

3.59/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A thanks to the founding father of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of black coffee. Taste is of black coffee, some rye, very little hops. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, while not a traditional pale ale, it's a decent beer.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz can served in a globe libby porter glass. No date on can.

Appearance: Mostly clear with a bit of chill haze gold trending toward a light amber color. Initial white head died back quickly to just the barest ring at the edge. Only an occasional island of lacing noted which slowly slid back down the glass.

Smell: Coffee with a bit of Ovaltine to it. Little bit of herbal leafiness under it all. With a good swirl the hops come out a bit more.

Taste: Nicely bitter up front with some citrus blended with black coffee. A bit of a bready malt underneath everything, with some mild sweetness showing up at the finish - again just a hint of that Ovaltine flavor. Some spiciness from the rye, but muted.

Mouthfeel: Slick, wet, mildly astringent finish. Very light carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: An above average beer - I almost think the coffee gets in the way of the rest of the beer. It could be that these hops just don't pair well with coffee. However, it's easily drinkable and while some of the individual parts if I focus on them clash a bit, together they actually all work well - the appearance, smell, taste, and mouthfeel actuall combine very nicely. I might pick up another one of these and not focus on the individual parts and see if I review it differently.

3.51/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz can purchased as a single for $1.69. No date stamp.

Clear yellow-orange elixir poured into snifter. Short lived white foam, no lacing.

Coffee, vanilla, toasted malt, earth.

Coffee, malt, mild spice.

Mild mouthfeel, undercarbed, slight metallic twang on the finish.

Bad sample? Not willing to try another.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 FLOZ can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a cloudy, golden color. It is topped with an inch of beige head that leaves virtually no lacing.

The smell is loaded with coffee along with hints of rye.

The taste is all coffee. It tastes great. The spiciness of the rye compliments the coffee flavor.

Medium, creamy mouthfeel

I believe this is my first Platform beer, and I am elated to have tried it. I love a good pale, coffee beer. This does not disappoint. It is definitely hitting the spot.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev -1%

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.02/5  rDev -23.2%

4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

12 ounce can into pint glass, no can dating. Pours slightly hazy medium golden yellow color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense and fluffy white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big nutty medium roast coffee, honey, toasted bread, and spicy rye; with lighter notes of caramel, pepper, pine, vanilla, cocoa, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of coffee, bready/rye malt, and light-moderate earthy hop notes; with great strength. Taste of big nutty medium roast coffee, honey, toasted bread, and spicy rye; with lighter notes of caramel, pepper, pine, vanilla, cocoa, herbal, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate pine/herbal/spicy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of nutty coffee, honey, toasted bread, spicy rye, pepper, pine, herbal, light vanilla/cocoa, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Great complexity, robustness, and balance of coffee, bready/rye malt, and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and zero lingering hop astringency after the finish. Light-moderate dryness from bitterness, increasing through the glass. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy/sticky, fairly crisp, and slightly chalky balanced mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 6%. Overall this is an awesome coffee pale ale! All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of coffee, bready/rye malt, and light-moderate earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, and easy to drink with the modestly bitter/drying finish. Awesome coffee vibrancy with great malt/hop balance. Great use of hops to make this feel hoppy enough for an American pale ale, but still letting the coffee flavors be the main showcase. A really delicious offering.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz. can into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a mostly clear, just slightly hazy, medium golden color with a slight copper hue. The color appearance reminds me of apple juice. It has many streams of little bubbles continuously and fairly rapidly rising to the beer's surface, along with a fluffy white head that's about an inch thick when first poured that settles fairly quickly to about 1/4 of an inch along with a tick ring lining the inside of the glass and excellent lacing. Aromas of somewhat toasted, caramel, somewhat beady, malts, rye, certainly coffee, and some peppery spice notes followed by the saaz hops. the taste is pretty much the same, with somewhat toasted, bready, malty sweetness followed by coffee and rye and some mild peppery spice notes along with an earthy, somewhat resinous hop bitterness. Has a fairly crisp, also smooth and frothy, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Has a clean and dry finish. A good beer here.

Eric

4.01/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap:
Pours a slightly dark gold, fairly clear with seemingly almost wisps of haze, when held to light (actually a little brown just sitting on a dim table. Head was low on this topped pour, but reviving it wasn't overly successful.

Nose was a nice, light coffee scent. The beans aren't dark roasted in impression, more nitty and floral. Granted, at least part of that is likely the beer.

Taste starts like a typical pale ale, light crackery malt, followed by a little fruity bitterness (berry to non-sour citrus). The coffee is lingering on the outside, but waits to strike until mid taste. Surrounding the citrus from the sides and back of the tongue, its pounce doesn't lead to a massacre, but a nice combination of ale and coffee. The experience seems to bring a sweetness to my palate, not sure why.

A light, tickling carbonation doesn't get in the way of the flavor melding. A little heavier than a normal pale, but it works with the boldness coffee can add.

Coffee pale ales are a weirdness for me, and it would take a really good one to work for me (Carton Regular Coffee is an anomaly, for instance). I think this beer worked in not losing itself in the coffee, and applaud it for that, but doesn't quite hold my palate's infatuation for the whole pour.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours a relatively clear (no floaties) dark yellow to amber with a thin white head that maintains surface coverage throughout. Some patches of lace, but nothing crazy.

A: Coffee is definitely the dominant factor here with a good amount of peppery spice underlying. I like the use of rye with Saaz hops as in increased element of spice, and just a hint of earthiness to it.

T: This is a challenge to be honest. After multiple sips, I really just get an overall sense of lightly roasted coffee seasoned with pepper. Hard to detect any malt or sweetness coming from malt. A subtle aftertaste of earth lingers.

F: Nice and surprisingly light feeling, but should have expected this with its dry finishing San Diego yeast. The 50 ibu is an interesting element as I agree it's not sweet, but doesn't seem too bitter either. Comparing that to the 50 ibu of say Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, this seems very balanced with the exception of bitterness coming from the coffee.

O: I love trying beers like these. I think we'd all agree they are not everyday drinkers, but its fun and unique to throw off the palate. I enjoyed this quite a bit, bit think it could have benefitted from some more malty goodness.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%

This Coffee Rye Pale Ale from Platform Brewery in Ohio was a pretty new taste to me but I liked it. I got it via a beer trade.

Look: semi-clear golden hue with thick white head.

Aroma: Some coffee and rye

Taste: Interesting taste, Rye, and yes coffee, and a floral piney hop taste. It is not a lot of flavor, it is a fairly light beer, but it is nice.

Feel: light body

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
High Brow Barista Coffee Rye Pale Ale from Platform Beer Co.