Hoppelbock | Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
capitalbrewery.com

Style: Doppelbock

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by DaPeculierDane on 05-21-2007

Liked:
3.85/5
Alströms:

3.85/5  rDev 0%

“It’s a Hoppy Blonde Doppelbock,” the cute blonde says to me as she pours this dark amber looking brew into a plastic cup at Capital’s fine beer garden. A thick kaki head greets the tip of my nose as my nostrils sink in for a close whiff. Clean toasted grains, toffee, and German malts are given a refreshing light citrus frosting. A faint aroma of booze enters the fray.

The taste is not all that different then the Blonde Doppelbock. It’s malt focused, crisp, and spicy with plenty of boozy warmth. The effect of the hops is noticeable, however. This is less cloying then the regular Blonde with some nice citrus flavor and a better, dryer finish. Much more balanced. Still, malt and booze rule the day. Germanic grains, light fruits, including a touch of strawberry, and light caramel and toffee notes are the primary flavors. Body is on the heavy side so drinkability could be a problem for some, particularly when this beer gets too warm. I found that two 16 oz cups were just about the right amount for me if I drank them before the sun’s rays warmed them too much. Overall a winner and worth the trip to Middleton for a taste.

Hoppelbock from Capital Brewery