Barley Wine | Réservoir

Added by BoitSansSoif on 03-10-2009

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

This product is only available in 750mL bottles at the bar. The outline of the establishment, "Reservoir," is stenciled onto a painted field, and the bottles, if I recall, were either painted one of 4 colors: yellow, orange, blue, and either red or green. I had the pleasure of introducing some new friends to the style, which I am not intimately familiar with, but I was the only one who knew what barleywine was, and I wanted them to try it after introducing me to such a cool brewpub. The waitress said they brewed this variety from time-to-time, but not on any regular basis.

A: Pours a hazy copper-amber w/decent off-white head and respectable retention.

S: Sweet barley, light apple, fruit, fainter wildberry, rich earth, and delicate hops w/light citrus.

T: Sweet barley up-front w/midpalate of fruit, earth, and light spice. Faint citrus emerges in finish, which is dominated by fair amount of bitter hops that largely escaped my initial detection in the aroma. The palate is left cleansed, and there is a thin layer of husk in the aftertaste.

M: Very well-balanced between sweet barley and hops. All components are present but restrained, bringing harmony. Carbonation is low-to-moderate, and carries balance well. Alcohol is well-hidden, and at no time did it shine through. Body was medium-to-medium-heavy, and smooth.

D: An enjoyable barleywine which is tasty without being too in-your-face. Disturbingly easy-to-drink considering abv.

Barley Wine from Réservoir