Searbh Rua Imperial Sour

Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 19 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
ChefMacAttack from New York

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a dark amber with reddish hue. Very little head. The bottle states White Hag "Searbh Rua Imperial Sour Red" and 7.9% ABV (not the 7.2% listed above).

Aroma is roasted malt and faint smoke with a slight tang to it.

The first sip. Whoa. It's not incredibly sour if that's what you're looking for. It's more like someone dabbed your tongue with an eye dropper full of red wine vinegar. Instead, it's smokey and malty with peaty scotch notes. The subtle acidity come through on the finish, and I'm going back for more. As it warms there is some dryness and wine like flavors, maybe a touch of oaked chardonnay. Overall the alcohol was well hidden.

This is not what I was expecting and I was pleasantly surprised. It definitely challenged my notion of what a sour could be (and I'm no expert) but I enjoyed the ride and will try again.

Oct 05, 2015
jongleich from Ireland

Had a glass at the Irish craft beer festival in Dublin. One of my favorites of the evening. I loved it. Truly a sour red, but lacking the level of funk some (not i) crave. Worth a try, especially on draft. White hag is producing some quality beers overall.

Aug 29, 2015
mdfb79 from New York

3.64/5  rDev -1.9%

From 07/29/15 notes. Had on tap at Fool's Gold in NYC.

Pours a deep mahogany color, one inch off white head, and low carbonation evident. Little smokey in the nose, taste is like a sour smoked red ale...not bad, but interesting. Almost makes me wonder if a beer got infected but turned out to still taste ok so they let it go. Medium body and low carbonation.

An interesting beer for sure, but not my favorite.

Jul 30, 2015