Small Batch Series: Peppermint IPA

Added:
Nov 19, 2019
No description / notes.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews.
Reviewed by ChrisCage from Canada (AB)

4.31/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
A- Pours a deep golden color, with orange, rust, red and amber undertones....the brew is crystal clear as well. The head is super frothy, and impressively retains its two and a half finger thickness, slowly going more into a meringue like state, where it stays....coloration is eggshell, with golden pink nuances. The carbonation is very aggressive, reminding me of a fine Champagne wine, or even a freshly poured ginger ale....many unorganized columns swiftly rising to the top in a fast paced race! The lacing is excellent as well, showcasing mountainous clumps that stick wonderfully to the inside of my glass.....an impressive looking specimen!

S- Minty aromas are immediately noted, with spicier peppermint and the softer, more mellow spearmint bringing up the rear....reminds me of, but not to nearly the same intensity of Trident Spearmint gum. Once I get through this initiation, I am greeted with muted malt sweetness, grainy/grassy dryness, and the finish is of very soft hop presence, but enough to grab my attention. It is a clean, interesting smelling beer.....an overall aroma that I have never come across before!

T- I was very impressed by what I tasted here....really didn't know what to expect, but had some ideas, and boy were they wrong! Ok, so the minty character that the beer is brewed upon is definitely found by my palate, but in a very passive way.....providing a cooling effect that is quenching yet flavorful. A noted hop presence helps balance this out and reminds me that I am still enjoying a beer after all, balancing out the peppermint. Pine needles, herbal juniper berry, crystal malts, and subtle yeasty dry biscuit round out the balance of the bill here.....the finish isn't very IPA like at all, but I do get a modest bitterness that just keeps everything in check. So different, but nothing offensive!

M/O- Light, perhaps leaning into medium body, and zesty big bubbles help the flavors and cooling effect to explode all over the palate. This is surprisingly a highly drinkable beer that I would rather enjoy having more than one of in a sitting. I think this would go well with a mint based dessert, and in itself is more dessert like than I was expecting. A treat to enjoy on a Summer day and I am glad I decided to get out of my comfort zone and give this one a shot.....hope it makes it into production at some point in the future!
Aug 10, 2021
Reviewed by Pmicdee from Canada (ON)

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
For someone who doesn’t enjoy mint flavouring, this one was not too bad. The peppermint is definitely present, but not overpowering, and I actually think it complements the bitter IPA flavour. The appearance is not green, but a nice golden colour. I may try this one again.
February 23 2020
Feb 23, 2020
Reviewed by taxandbeerguy from Canada (ON)

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
473 ml can served cold into a pint glass. LCBO purchase for under $3 CDN.

Appearance - Super robust carbonation made this a foamer. Otherwise once the dust all settled and the head shrank to normal proportions, it was a mostly clear rich copper colored brew. Lots of lacing and obviously an insane amount of carbonation.

Smell - Leafy hops, clearly definied peppermint and some general graininess. Not much else. Weird combo but good aromatics.

Taste - Thin leafy hops initially, some peppermint and then a weak watery taste afterwards. Some middling bitterness. Not terrible, but not really cohesive. Some malts come into play in the last half of the beer.

Mouthfeel - Thin and a bit flat possible from being overcarboanted to start. Dryish finish.

Overall - Chalk this up as a miss, peppermint and IPA flavors don't really go together even if you are using hops that are more likely to match up. Not terrible but even as someone who loves peppermint, this isn't a repeat for me.
Jan 23, 2020
Small Batch Series: Peppermint IPA from Moosehead Breweries Ltd.