Sap Sucker | Fernie Brewing Co.

Sap SuckerSap Sucker

Fernie Brewing Co.
British Columbia, Canada
ferniebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Since it set off on its maiden voyage from the brewery back early December 2010 - perfect timing for December festivities and those thirsty needs that generally accompany the season of good will, it hasn't stopped. Our deliciously dark & robust Porter, with a delicate but flavourful touch of maple syrup. Favoured by the educated craft beer drinker, looking for a uniquely rich & flavourful product, it’s popular with consumers, beer bloggers & judges!

Added by BDTyre on 12-20-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.06/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.39/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.08/5  rDev -20%

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

3.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

So much head. I don't know if the bottle was defective but this poured all foam.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a gorgeous, great looking, delicious beer. The maple is a wonderful accent on the roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee notes. I don't drink this often, but when I do, I imagine myself to be a sap vampire. Or a songbird of some description.

3.58/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1.45/5  rDev -62.3%

I'm sorry Fernie, but I must have gotten a rotten one.
That bottle I had drooled over as I pulled it from my stocking on Christmas morning left me weeping bitter tears of shock and disappointment.

It poured up beautifully, very dark with three fingers of creamy, long lingering head.

The smell was a bit weak, brown sugar and a slight ethereal off note.

The taste was unexpected. Once again I must have hit a bad bottle because the first faint hits of anything resembling mapley sweetness or even of a porter were quickly obliterated by a screaming wall of sourness.
"Do I spit or do I swallow? "
The question asked by thousands of college girls rolled around in my mind briefly before I involuntarily gulped it down. Can I get a "That's what she said?"

The lingering after taste was reminiscent of vomit long gone.

I will probably try again, just to see what it actually tastes like but I have to admit to being a little gun shy now.

Assuming that this really was a bad bottle, I wasn't even going to review it, but Fernie quality control should know, dammit!

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

3.04/5  rDev -21%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Why don't we have more maple beers? Now, I'm sure I won't like this one as much as Whislter's Chai Maple Ale, but it looks pretty good. Super dark with an inch of cocoa-coloured head. Aroma of cocoa, and only a hint of maple. Damn, I was hoping for more.

More importantly, how does it taste? Sweet, kind of smokey, nice roasted flavours, cocoa, sweet coffee... but I'm barely picking up any maple. Still, it's an enjoyable porter. If I want a beer that tastes like maple, I guess I'll stick to Whistler. Too bad it's not available all the time.

Very smooth. Easy to drink.

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Sap Sucker from Fernie Brewing Co.