Vox Stout (Milkshake)
Vox Populi

Vox Stout (Milkshake)Vox Stout (Milkshake)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Vox Stout (Milkshake)Vox Stout (Milkshake)
Notes: A milk stout with vanilla beans.
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 17
3.94/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This one pours a fairly dark black color, with a small fluffy head, and lots of lacing.

This smells like milk chocolate, vanilla, dark fruit, smoke, and roast.

I'd want a bit more punchiness here, but the flavors I do get are very nice. It's not a vanilla bomb by any reasonable stretch of the imagination, but that's ok - it's got a subtle sweet creaminess on the back end. There's some nice dark chocolate, a bit of bitter dark fruitiness, and slight hops.

This is creamy, but somewhat light bodied, and very creamy, with a good level of drinkability.

This a solid little stout. Nothing to knock your socks off, but a good beer to try.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Opaque black color. Weak brown half a finger head, lasting seconds, with good legs and swirl reaction. Flavors of vanilla, chocolate, coffee, dark grains, cherries, nutmeg, cinnamon, and herbal hops. Milky medium body with a moderate crisp. Medium strength finish, sugary toast and leafy on the tongue. Feels a bit like fruit cake. Decent freshness and complexity. Overall very good quality craft.

4.14/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 355ml can, undated. Served in a cervoise. The can says to serve at 10C but I'm an American and I'm too lazy to convert C to F so I drank it at whatever temperature my basement floor is, probably colder than 10C but, really, who knows?

Pours a deep-dark chestnut, nearly black and totally opaque in the glass with a finger-and-a-half of sudsy-bubbly light brown head, like bread yeast proofing in a bowl. Settles out into a wispy cap with a thin sheet of slippery lacing.

Smells like french toast, sandalwood and vanilla. Nice.

Tastes pretty much like french toast, too. Eggy vanilla custard and a damp, woody, mushroom-like funk. And that's that, a nice balance of creamy-sweet and woodsy-funk with a little mineral-metallic tang.

Feel is creamy, smooth and medium-thin bodied, adequately carbonated.

Periodically, I do this cringe-inducing thing where I tell somebody how much I don't like something that it turns out they're just about to give me. I did it when I gave my wife's British cousin a long, douchey lecture on how awful New York State wines were when it turned out that they had very generously brought us a whole case of it from the Finger Lakes while they were on holiday. I did it again when I told TheDoctor that milk stouts were amongst my very least favourite styles of beer just as he was passing me a bottle and two cans of it that he had brought me all the way from Quebec. However, I am obliged to report that, not only am I an ungrateful, douchebaggy schmuck, I am a mistaken ungrateful, douchebaggy schmuck because Vox Stout is an excellent beer and I enjoyed it mightily even if I didn't deserve to.

I'm going to pair the second can with french toast for breakfast tomorrow.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Can: Poured a black color stout with a huge brown color head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of light roasted malt notes with some black chocolate and vanilla notes also perceptible. Taste is also a mix of roasted malt notes with vanilla and black chocolate notes with hints of residual sugar notes. Body is full with nice creamy texture with good carbonation. Very enjoyable but I was expecting vanilla notes even more upfront.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2017 october brew,4.5% abv,25 IBU SRM 40 brewed at OSHLAG about $4 cdn per 12 oz can.
Pours a totally opaque black,,beige head becomes a beige ring after a minute or two.
A sweet coffee nose with vanilla.
Taste is coffee, dark roasted malts, vanilla.
The carbonation is very nice with very fine bubbles,. This stout is very well balanced with a sweet mouth feel, some bitterness, some sugar lots of vanilla and coffee. Very easy to drink and super tasty. Just enough alcohol to avoid being watery. I recommend this even to a beginner. It's hard not to want to open another can...

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Serving: Can
No date

A:
Pours a thick black with a decent couple inches of airy khaki head. Decent retention; some swoops of spindly lacing. (4)

S:
Sweet, nutty roast aromas, hard water, leathery vanilla. (4)

T:
Rich sweet nutty mocha-ish flavor with a definite vanilla linger. (4)

M:
Meaty body with medium carbonation and a long vanilla bean finish. (4.5)

O:
It pours motor oil thick and pitch black with an almost-billowing tan head that eventually drops. The aroma is nutty and sweet with some stout roast but no bitterness. The flavor is very similar to the nose and soaked in vanilla with a lot of the bean flavor coming through quite nicely (if too heavily).
The real winner of this one for me is the feel. It is one of the richest-feeling stouts I've ever had. Especially at this ABV. The only issue for me on the entire beer was that the vanilla is too present. It is good, but it verges dangerously close to being vegetal and it just takes away a little from the rest of the beer. I liked this one pretty well. It could be tweaked but was fairly to style whol also having a solid twist. (4.25)

EDIT: I ended up having this one over a couple months and it really got nice eventually. The vanilla, et al. really mingled and mellowed. I bumped my original overall able hop .25 as a result.

Vox Stout (Milkshake) from Vox Populi