10,539 | Rockingham Brewing Company

Rockingham Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
rockinghambrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

This is our first ever collaboration brew with our friends at From the Barrel! For this Imperial Black IPA, we used the same recipe at each brewery, which has resulted in a rich and slightly roasty ale. Then we generously hopped it with Centennial, Columbus, Amarillo and Citra!

For those of you who were guessing.. 10,539 signifies the mileage between Londonderry and Joel Anderson's new home in Australia. Joel has become a great friend and we're going to miss the heck out him! Give him a great send off by enjoying this beer!

Added by Bierman9 on 12-03-2016

Reviews by puboflyons:
4.04/5  rDev +2%

On tap at the brewery 15 minutes after it was released in December 3, 2016.

Dark brown color to near black with a modest tan head that lingers and laces.

Big aroma of charcoal or almost smoky dark malts immediately followed by an orange fruitiness, pine note.

Light to medium body.

The taste has a similar dark roasted malt flavor with a biting earthy bitterness to complete it.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.8/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Rockingham. Not sure if the different bottles are different beers? Solid dark brown with a creamy tan head that persists. Earthy citrus and pine on the nose with some faint roast caramel and chocolate. Bitter roasty pine and resin flavor with hints of butterscotch and a light astringency. Creamy smooth mouthfeel. Tasty beverage.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Picked up a bottle of this one while at the brewery today for the release of brandy-barrel Winter Wonderham. West Coast style old-school-ish black IPA in the Sublimely Self-Righteous style is not exactly what I'm reaching for when I want a beer, to be honest, but I can appreciate a good example of the style, and since I was there anyway... why not? I guess this was brewed on both brewery's systems separately, meaning there's an FTB version out there somewhere, but since I'm much more familiar with Rockingham's ouvre (and find them to be pretty overlooked... hopefully that doesn't last long now that they're releasing barrel-aged stuff that stands head-and-shoulders above some of their more local competition), I'm happy to have this bottle.

Pours a very dark brown with tannish, khaki-like head. Some darker garnet/ruby hues poke out towards the bottom of my glass, but light seems to generally resist travelling through this black ale. Great legs on the pour; as the head sinks slowly, the lace forms a connective sheet, replete with large-ish bubbles and a hazy, solid looking surface. Quite a nice pour.

Nose is very C-hop heavy with pine, grapefruit, orange peel and pith, very roasty malts, baker's chocolate and some herbal, grassy notes. The malt aspect of this leans "charred" and clashes a bit with the brighter hop notes, particularly the Citra and Amarillo in this case, but it's not a huge deal, and I tend to be finicky about black IPAs/CDAs/whatever you want to call them anyway, so mileage will probably vary here.

On the tongue, I get some charcoal, strong piney bitterness, grapefruit pith, some warming ethanol and grassy, woodsy hop elements with a big, lingering bitterness that coats the tongue. There are some toasty bread crust malt elements as well, but they're definitely more subtle than the roasty main note. A bit of cocoa powder/baker's chocolate here as well, kind of picking up some slack in the middle of the palate, where this feels a bit empty.

Feel is a bit biting with a sharp yet playful carbonation and slightly heavier-than-expected body that definitely has some yeast and hop sediment still floating around. I have nothing against that, of course, but it does drink stronger than 7.8%; I know I mentioned Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous earlier but now that I've had my fair share of this bottle, I feel that the two are quite comparable. Very similar hop profile with a somewhat related focus on charred malts and a heavy-ish ABV. Where SSR is almost 9%, this is barely over the "double IPA" mark. However, 10,539 feels like it's shooting for a weight class slightly higher than where it stands currently. In other words, I wish this one were pushed to 9+%, because it would feel much more at home there. As it stands, it's very drinkable and enjoyable, but it falls just slightly short of what I think it could be.

I've been enjoying more black IPAs lately than I ever thought I would (Revival's Double Black IPA and Flying Dreams' Nightcrawler were a couple I've liked a lot in the past few months) and this is quite nice and hits a lot of marks I appreciate. It just doesn't define itself enough for me and feels stuck in the past of a style that should probably be going somewhere new and unusual at this point, since its novelty has essentially worn thin.

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured on draft at The New England Tap House into a can shaped pint glass. Pours a very attractive chestnut brown with a very attractive tan head that covers the glass with thick strips of lace.

Smell is dark chocolate, coffee, pine pitch, and grapefruit rind.

Taste follows but very bitter dark chocolate and dry black coffee, vanilla bean, pine, and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is a little bigger than medium, plenty of life, definitely a bit dry, and drinkability is good if you have had black IPA'S before.

Overall this is a solid black ipa, but very bitter all around.

10,539 from Rockingham Brewing Company