Mint Julep Southern Sour

From:
Tomoka Brewing Co.

Florida, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Mint Julep Southern SourMint Julep Southern Sour
Notes: Collaboration with Terrapin Beer Co.
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 16
3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a Cycle Brewing goblet.

A: Reddish brown, very hazy, with a low amount of visible carbonation and a thin off-white head that disappears quickly.

S: Andes Candy mint and vanilla. I don't really get any oak, sourness or malt presence on the nose, at least when t's cold. The mint dominates – it's a nice smell, but a weird one for a beer in my opinion.

T: Mint up front – an Andes candy, or York Peppermint Patty kind of mint. There's some lactic sourness, and some biscuit malts make an appearance. Sweet vanilla and more mint. Some oak dryness shows up near the end.

M: Medium body, carbonation sensation on the low side, and average alcohol presence.

O: Definitely weird. Honestly, it works better than I would have thought at all. The mint is an interesting flavor attempt in a beer. I don't know...I probably wouldn't drink it again. I'd chalk this up as one of those interesting beers that would be fun to pour for somebody to give them an example of the range of flavors that can show up in beers. It's not offensive and I think it might just be personal preference that I don't enjoy it much. It's certainly interesting.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

750mL bottle into a Teku
no bottling dates

A: Pours crystal clear, dark copper with a huge 3+ fingers width of tan colored head, dissipates at a moderate rate leaving almost no lacing. 4.25

S: Quite sweet and lots of mint; like a chocolate mint candy bar or thin mint cookie; lots of vanilla; no real sour notes; very unique and a nice aroma. 4.25

T: Interesting. Mint and vanilla up front, a mild tart acidic sourness, oaky and somewhat earthy on the finish, berliner-type wheat-like characters. 4

M/D: Medium body, carbonation appropriate, drinkability is good. 4.25

O: A very unique and interesting beer, I’ve rated close to 800 beers on BA and have to saw I’ve never had anything like this. Nothing crazy, but definitely enjoyable and something I would recommend trying if you get the chance. 4

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I don't know what to think about this beer. It's so unusual. I like the concept and I think it worked but I'm on the fence on if I like it or not. Being a sour it kind of battles with the sweetness of the vanilla. The mint smell and flavor remind me of those Andes mint chocolate treats and this makes the mind think that it's sweeter then it actually is. The more I drink this the more I'm liking it. This is defiantly a one of a kind beer and hats off to Tomoka & Terrapin for pulling this off. 4.25

Mint Julep Southern Sour from Tomoka Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88 out of 100 with 16 ratings