Wolfgeist Dunkel Lager

From:
Down the Road Beer Co.

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
gjk from Connecticut

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Second can of this beer from the 4 pack. I liked it better than the first try a few weeks back. Best to let it warm a little after taking out of the refrigerator to let the complex tastes develop.
It is malty, bready, and deliciuous with a lot of dark fruit, chocolate flavors. Long smooth finish. Color is a nice dark brown. This winter, I have looked for other beers than IPA's and this one hits the spot.

Dec 30, 2017
ichorNet from Massachusetts

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

European-style dark lagers are quite uncommon in the current American beer scene, so I'm extremely happy that this young brewery from the Boston area is making one. Recently, however, I've had a really well-done example of the style from The Tap who is based out of Haverhill, so I'll be likely (at least subconsciously) comparing the two as I review this beer.

I've been waiting to have this for a few months now, and I'm glad to say that, upon first impressions, my curiosities are immensely satisfied. This beer pours a deep brown color (33-36 SRM, with some of that likely due to lack of filtration) with a head measuring several fingers at its highest points. Lace is well-done for the style with some cascades of slight off-khaki lace sticking around as the head sinks down. Great retention here, though, and the color is nice... I love that the bottom few ounces of my stein glass gleam with the intense hue of this beer!

The nose here is slightly-roasty with herbal and brown bread-crust characteristics, along with some light floral and spicy hops here and there. Lots of Noble-type hops in this brew, I'd imagine, and that aspect comes across heavily with notes of arrowroot and anise combined with deep molasses and toffee. Very bready nose, though, overall. Some light notes of chocolate and coffee pop up as this warms, bringing an almost "porter-like" quality to the proceedings.

Flavor is lightly fruity with ripe melon, nectarine and peach up front before collapsing into brown bread, toffee, caramel and huge finishing flavors of chocolate and roasted coffee. Finish is lightly herbal and hoppy with some leafy aspects, wet earth and pinecones. Strong breadiness ranging from the crusty to the buttery and toasted is a big undercurrent running through this beer, and I'm really liking the hefty chocolate flavors that they coaxed out of these malts. Slight orchard fruit-like flavors come forward as the beer warms. This style can be seen as essentially the "younger brother" of the Baltic porter style (which is also a lager, mind you), so DTR succeeds just off that element alone. They really push the malt flavors here and balance them well with polished Noble-type hoppiness.

The feel here is medium with a very nice, finely-detailed carbonation and a good ABV for the style. The hefty bready malts lend a very solid and satisfying element to the final sips of my glass. Overall, this is a fantastic representation of the style which follows with DTR's excellent treatment of old-school European beer styles. Very glad I got a four-pack!

Dec 09, 2017
Wolfgeist Dunkel Lager from Down the Road Beer Co.