Sunna Double IPA

From:
Down the Road Beer Co.

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: This Double IPA boasts epic juiciness from Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo and Galaxy - all legends from the pantheon of hops. Sunna Double IPA is a perfect harmony of orange, apricot and grapefruit notes, radiant as a smile from the Sun Goddess herself.
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 16 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
smcolw from Massachusetts

3.84/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark gold to amber color with a weak haze. Moderate head but it dies the minimum of rim bubbles. No lace whatsoever.

Lightly fruity with a floral hop.

I like the balance of the major elements. The malt holds its own against the hop, which appears more as a spice than a flavor.

Jul 29, 2018
ichorNet from Massachusetts

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

For some reason I have been under the impression that this was to be a brewery exclusive beer, but I guess maybe it only started out that way as I just picked up a four-pack dated 5/29/18 a few hours ago! Very exciting. I have had great experiences with DTR's IPAs thus far, and hope this Citra/Simcoe/Galaxy/Amarillo hopped DIPA follows suit.

Pours a medium-hazy deep orange color with a thin yet retentive ring of white suds on top. I recall this being reeeeaaally hazy looking in the original social media posts about it, but perhaps something changed on newer batches because this is really only moderately-translucent. If held up to light, I can still see my fingers through it, for example. The haze that is here is really consistent, however, and I can't detect any hop or yeast particulate floating freely in the midst. Nice looking beer (especially the color), just a little different from my original expectation. I would certainly prefer a bit more head formation, however.

The nose here is heavy on the "fruit salad" side of things, with tangerine, pineapple, apricot and orange mingling with orange blossom honey, light biscuity/toasty malt and a slight side of spice. An interesting nose, for sure. I can detect a little alcohol presence, as well, but it's nothing to be worried about in my opinion. It takes a rather sizable backseat to the fruity and punchy hop profile. I start to pick up a little bit of pine resin and grassiness as well once I start sipping at this and opening it up a tad, but these elements certainly seem to fade out while the citrus and elements of tropical fruit continue.

On the tongue, this initially seems like it's going to be a little syrupy and malty, but it quickly backs off from this aspect and delivers a hop-jolt of intense fruity and citrusy flavors to the palate. There's a slight floral element here, which I kinda noticed in the nose, but which feels a little more played up on the tongue. Mostly, however, I get tangerine, pomelo and orange with some stiff pine toward the finish. The feel is rather crisp for an 8.5% IPA with some crystal malt in the grain bill and, though Sunna certainly leans toward a heavier-medium body most of the time, it's more drinkable than some others in its weight class. Glad I picked this one up and will be happy to revisit it several more times!

Jun 18, 2018
Ronl12 from Massachusetts

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can into IPA glass. Dated 5/29/18
Hazy golden orange look leads to nice pineapple tropical fruit nose. Taste follows nose with little alcohol burn at end. Feel is light to medium. another fine IPA from DTR. Would definitely buy again.

Jun 05, 2018
Sunna Double IPA from Down the Road Beer Co.
Beer rating: 89 out of 100 with 16 ratings