Chocolate Chocolate Orange Porter | Stoudts Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Added by Rifugium on 06-28-2011

4/5  rDev 0%

3.41/5  rDev 0%

First had: on gravity cask at Monk's, Philly, PA

I actually went to Monk's specifically for this beer, when I received word of it in the email. Well, I figured even if it's not as good as it sounds, it's still a trip to Monk's.

So I got there just as they were getting the cask set up, and I probably got the first or second pour. Presented in a pint glass, this beer was pitch black, with little to no carbonation or head. Oily streaks left on the glass instead of lace. The aroma kind of made me feel disappointed right off the bat, because it lacked the richness I'd expect from a "chocolate chocolate" anything. Some chocolate in the nose, but mostly fruit sweetness from the orange, and not very acidic or zesty, but like I said, sweet. The taste as well, was not incredible rich, but it was very smooth and flavorful, with notes of sweet orange juice, dark malts, raisins, figs, and an infusion of semisweet chocolate. Interesting, but not as good as I was hoping for. Medium mouthfeel, smooth, and not thick at all. Quite drinkable, but after one serving, I didn't really want more.

Chocolate Chocolate Orange Porter from Stoudts Brewing Co.