Homewrecker | Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

HomewreckerHomewrecker

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's
Kentucky, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Homewrecker is a double strength India Pale Ale, meaning hop bitterness, flavor and aroma take center stage, with plenty of malt character to support it. Brewed with over half a ton of pale, wheat and caramel malts, we then add nearly 30 lbs of hops to make one 7 barrel batch. American Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial and Cascade are added at 6 different points in the boil. Then we strain the hot unfermented ber through raw hops to further extract flavor and aroma. Be careful though, we pushed this one past 10 percent alcohol, so if you start to hallucinate, quickly chug a Michelob Ultra to sober up.

Added by kmpitz2 on 10-20-2004

2.9/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

3.39/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Didn't find this to be particularly hoppy but there is some light pine, bitterness, honey and floral notes. The malt is well done and well structured with a barley, grain and tea leaf.

4.22/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Good beer but lacking carbonation

3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

3.51/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.12/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.51/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.86/5  rDev +10%

I am not a disagreeable person, but I tend to disagree with the past few reviews on this brew. I thought it was pretty freaking outstanding. Beer is not rocket science unless you want it to be. This was listed as a limited run. Served in a snifter from tap and was told that I was drinking from the last keg for now. Nice head and medium amber color. The hops used in this run was great. I was with my wife and told her I guessed it at 7-8 abv. The matron informed me this batch was 10.5. I thought that it was a very balanced brew, I liked it well enough that I bought a growler to take home to Indy. The growler beer was a little yeasty, but they were getting to the bottom of the last barrel. This was my first experience with BBC, so maybe they might be a little inconsistent, I don't know. I do know that the stuff I tasted was great.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

2.08/5  rDev -40.7%

This was a major disappointment. I had recalled reading good reviews from BBC (must have remembered incorrectly!) but this stuff is just all wrong. 105 IBU? Where? Sweet, fruity mess with lame hop character. I agree with the reviewer that said they might be able to pass this off as a strong ale or a barleywine, but I still wouldn't dig it and was looking forward to a fairly pricey $10 ($9?) DIPA, not a malty, thin, sticky swill that did indeed hide the alcohol well enough (behind all the sugar and slight bitterness), but that's about the only strong point on this brew. Avoid.

Homewrecker from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's