Batch 1300 | Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

Kentucky, United States

Style: Wheatwine

Added by kmpitz2 on 03-24-2006

3.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes; sampled at the brewpub. Poured a brilliant deep golden color with a finger of head that sat nicely over the beer. The nose was full of sweetness, with caramel and sugary qualities. Alcohol camce through strong...stronger than I wanted it to. I found this to be very barleywine line, though that is not a surprise. The flavor was strong on alcohol initially. Secondarily a moderate bitterness from the hops hit, followed by a lightly soapy caramel character from the malt. A mild husky wheat character came through but faded fast. The bitterness lingered into the finish fairly strong. The feel was moderate with a moderate carbonation. I expected a bit more thickness with the sugary character, but this one didn't deliver. There was an alcohol burn on when I swallowed this one letting me know there was a good ABV on this one. As it warmed, the wheat characte became more prevalent, as did a crisp American hop. The mouthfeel also thickened up a bit with some heat. Overall, the alcohol was very prevalent in this one. The flavors were nice, but didn't blend well. There was some promise here, but it just didn't deliver what I wanted.

Batch 1300 from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's