Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Oak Aged Rye 75 | Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

4.42/5
Outstanding

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's
Kentucky, United States

Style: Rye Beer

Added by beerman207 on 07-06-2009

4.03/5  rDev 0%

So, I've been going to Party Town down in Florence, KY for about a year or so now...and, upon my first visit, I realized they sold growlers. And, what's even better, is that these taps rotate on a pretty regular basis.

This beer, which was conceived, I believe, by some of the employees of the place, and brewed by BBC, is quite a treat. It's homegrown, flavorful, and just a really cool idea.

Pours a nice reddish-brown color with little head, though this might change when poured from a bottle (which I hear this beer has just gone to).

Smells of sweet hops, citrus, pine needles, cinnamon, little vanilla, wood, rose petals.

Tastes as good as it smells. This was aged on oak for I'm not sure how long...but some of those flavors exist here. The overwhelming hop flavor is balanced well between the rye and the oak aging. It is bitter-sweet, and quite a pleasure to drink. Flavors of citrus, vanilla, and plenty of hops here.

Overall, a very nice selection. This is a great beer and I'm glad it seems to be doing so well. Nice job Party Town Guys and BBC! Nice.

4.8/5  rDev 0%

A - Strong brewed iced tea - nice head about 2-3 fingers high. Not much difference from Rye 75 in appearance which is definately not an insult.

S - Smell has peach, vanilla, pine

T - Wow, I'm reviewing this on the second day and I have to say that the oak taste is much more present on day 2 than on day 1. The carbonation is a little less so it's not in the way of the flavor. I'm picking up vanilla, oak, citrus.

M - This one packs a bit on the carbonation thinking back to yesterday but it's a little more mellow after letting the growler sit for a day.

D - I'm a huge fan of Rye 75 and am really pleased that I got a chance to review the oak aged version of this since they only made two barrels of it. I hope they continue to experiment with it. Party Town and BBC have a winner here with Rye 75

Oak Aged Rye 75 from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's