Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Heine The Elder Double Espresso Stout | Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

4.29/5
Outstanding

Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's
Kentucky, United States

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by cadaugherty on 12-16-2010

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Drank from a growler from Liquor Barn in Louisville, Ky.

This beer was not on here when I drank this beer, and I had not reviewed enough beers to add one, so here it is!

This beer is one of my favorite stouts I have ever tried. It smells of coffee and malts with a deep black color that light will not bet through.

It taste like heaven, a full bodied stout with coffee, espresso, and roasted malt. The alcohol is barley detectable and is extremely drinkable. BBC should put this out in a bomber asafp!!

I know, not the best review, but it's been a while and I remember it being on of the best beers I have ever had! If you try it, I think you will agree with me.

3.86/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pushed through espresso beans in bbc's ghetto rigged version of Randall. Doesn't look nearly as pretty but hey. It works.
Pitch black out of the tap with lots of foamy head. Very highly carbonated. Smells like espresso and roasted malt. Tastes very strongly of coffee. Some roasted malt and maybe a hint of oatmeal. Thick and good mouthfeel. A bit bitter and strong to be that drinkable but overall the tastiest beer I've had from BBC

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

On Tap at Local Option event 12/15/10- served in a Gulden Draak Tulip

Double version of Bluegrass' original Heine Brothers Coffee Stout.

This beer is lovely rich espresso from start to finish. Super Dark with a thick chocolate head that lasts forever. You can smell the roasted beans immediately, but it avoids being harsh the way some "extreme" coffee stouts can be. The flavor is deep and rich with dark coffee notes, but again avoids being overly harsh. This is easily the most drinkable coffee stout I have ever had and my favorite offering from Bluegrass so far. If you can find it grab it.

Heine The Elder Double Espresso Stout from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's