Bourbon Barrel Quad | Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by DrDemento456 on 05-28-2011

3.3

3.3/5  rDev 0%

Well I guess I will be to review this. Here goes.

A - well no bottle gusher. Plenty of carbonation on this one with a solid inch of mocha colored head. Beer is a pretty nice black, not brown with some floating bits throughout. Not so much to be offended just a bit of yeast bits. The head has no distinct lacing it just slowly turns to a mild ring.

S - Has some slight bourbon characteristics which consist of vanilla, a bit of oak, and some raisin and dark fruits from the quad side. Doesn't smell offending so I guess it's not infected.

T - Here the biggie. Wow it's surprisingly watery but I do get notes of bourbon (slightly) with a touch of vanilla that turns to a plum maybe cherries, which is kind of bitter and lactic. It then turns to a roast side with a bit of smoke and finishes with a bitter twang that leaves a soapy feeling on the tongue.

M - I really wanted more body for this with a ABV of almost 12 percent but it drinks too watery with only a slight bit of burning as it hits the stomach. Watery.

Overall I could see why this doesn't have any reviews. Mostly one dimensional with no real bourbon flavors, watery, and with a mild sour lactic tone of cherry was kind of off putting. Still it was worth a try to have my first bourbon barrel aged Quad.

Bourbon Barrel Quad from Bluegrass Brewing Co. - East St. Matthew's