AleSmith Decadence 2005 Barrel Aged | AleSmith Brewing Company

Style: Old Ale

Added by scottoale on 12-17-2006

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Brad, you totally rock. Bottle 41 / 124.

Dark copper body with a thin tan collar. Sweet, fruity malts, oak, bread, light spice. Sweet and vinous. Caramel candies with some sugary breads. A touch of cinnamon. Low carbonation and smooth on the palate. This has held up surprisingly well, considering this bottle is over a decade old. Fun!

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Thanks for sharing this, Chris.

A: The pour is a murky amber color with a finger of off-white/khaki colored head.

S: Smells of bourbon and oak with tons of vanilla. Pretty typical Alesmith barrel aged beer nose. Dark fruits and booze with a mild tropical fruit note to it, strangely enough. Sweet toffee and caramel with a light toasted malt aroma. Plenty of oxidation, too.

T: Just like the aroma, the bourbon, vanilla, and oak characteristics are quite powerful. Lots of sweet malts, particularly toffee and caramel. A little bit of cherry with some other dark fruit notes such as plums and raisins.

M: Medium bodied with a sort of surprising amount of carbonation.

O: This was a bit too oxidized on the aroma and maybe too boozy. But, something I've really wanted to try. Glad to have done so.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

8/29/2011

Thanks to Chris for sharing at Woodshop Classix.

A: Ruddy brown and murky with a fleeting white head.

S: I'm greeted by caramel and bread with rich toffee and a light cardboard presence. Bourbon is very light and there's a dash of vanilla. Much oak wafts from the glass.

T: Rich caramel blends with toffee, and once again the bourbon presence is light. There's still a little alcohol heat and a lower moderate earthy bitterness. Oak and vanilla are evident. There's more cardboard in the flavor than there was in the nose.

M: Upper medium body with lower moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is smooth and sticky with warming.

Overall: It was really nice to try this again, but it's undoubtedly far beyond its prime. Cardboard is taking control.

4.79/5  rDev +17.4%

(111/124)

I have to be frank here and say that my review is going to be sub-par for multiple reasons, specifically that I was really more interested in basking in the moment as well as the fact that I was at least 10 tastes in at this point, so please, forgive me for my terrible notes.

Poured into my designated tasting glass from Cigar City Brewing, it appeared a rich dark chestnut brown with ruby/copper highlights and was very murky and speckled with sediment. I can't say much about the head, as I didn't pour it myself, and it was probably a good 2 or 3 minutes before I was able to really delve into it and take pictures, so judging solely from the photographs and what I've read about most extensively aged (as well as barrel aged) beers, I'm willing to deduce that what I saw when I was snapping shots is pretty much all there was. A few large bubbles submerged under smaller bubbles in a medium pearly, wheat-colored ring of foam hugged the glass while floating heavily on top of the liquid. As I drank the beer, there was no lacing left behind and no visible carbonation throughout.

Now that we're done with the easy visual part, I can't guarantee my opinions and findings with this beer, but I will try my damnedest to decipher my scribbled notes. As I stuck my nose in the glass, I initially came out with lots of vanilla, milk chocolate, and caramel, which made it seem very sweet. As I returned to the brew, thick oaky notes and pieces of syrupy brown sugar toffee floating in bourbon presented themselves alongside some deep, rich malts and slightly fainter dark fruits, namely raisins and figs, which I actually didn't find until after I had started tasting. Despite all of the very sweet components, the larger presence of the bourbon and oak really smoothed everything out without making it too mild or too heavy.

How am I doing so far? Not too shabby for a beer I had 3 days ago in the middle of a busy and delicious tasting, if I do say so myself. Now for the flavors. From what I remember without looking at my notes, and while reading through what I found in the nose, I think that the taste and the aroma were pretty similar and complimented each other in their similarities. According to my notes, the whole drink was ridiculously smooth and dominated by the bourbon and oak flavors. I found some faint dark fruit molasses (raisin and fig again, maybe some dates), quite a bit of vanilla and caramel, sweet dark malts, chocolate, toffee, and a very light doughy yeast that seemed a little out of place. I may have imagined the yeast altogether, but with all of the "specialty yeast strains" they used in this brew, I guess it shouldn't surprise me that some of it may have survived. Regardless, it wasn't a feature that would ever characterize this beer for me, so I'll just focus on the sweet, sweet dark and malty and bourbony love that poured from this bottle. I did enjoy that there wasn't a sweet aftertaste and that the mouthfeel was creamy without being thick or syrupy. The carbonation was lightly spicy, due in large part to the alcohol (11%) I'm sure, but over the course of my tasting, it actually felt rather soft, though far from flat. Overall, trying to tell that this Decadence was 11% alcohol was impossible. It was just too smooth in execution and too velvety in flavor, which made for one hell of an experience. I only wish that words could do it justice. This was definitely one of my favorite beers from the tasting and I am counting myself extremely lucky to have had this opportunity.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

(750ml bottle shared at Dak's!!). I got the bottom of the bottle and all that deliciousness. Pours cloudy brown with tan head. Aroma had lots of bourbon notes still. Taste is sweet bourbon and vanilla mostly. Full bodied with a creamy texture. This is a super beer that has held up marvelously!

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a dark ruby with just a hint of wispy foam.
Smells super rich and dark. Tons of smoky wood, bourbon, sweet caramel, mild tannins. Taste falls a little short of the smell. Rich caramel, mild taste of the barrel, sweet and creamy.
Feels a bit thinner than I thought it would but very smooth.
Really nice to sip on a cool winter night. Thanks to Mcallister for sharing.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

From the second release of this beer. Dank fine looking chestnut colored with a yellow head of 2 fingers fading quickly.

Amazing nose. Sweet english malts toffee, caramel, fig, date, raisin, prune, hints of oxidation, bourbon, toffee, wood hints of earth and brown sugar.

Whiskey shows through nicely with that woodsy toasted vanilla lusciousness. Date really shows throght with the fig and prune behind, brown sugar and mollasses. Not as sweet as the nose would indicate with only slight oxidation. Nice with some years to go still.
A sweet potato flavor as well.m

2.16/5  rDev -47.1%

Wooof! I looked at the label to see if Brettanomyces was mentioned, so I can only conclude it's a less welcome bacteria in my bottle. Still some malt but mostly the back of the mouth sweet 'n' sour. Oddly salty, very bitter and not from hops. The longer that taste sits on my tongue the more I want a large glass of water. Sorry I didn't taste it sooner, or someone in San Diego is selling a case they kept in the metal shed. Apparently five years is too much for this one.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast