Gallivant - Citra & Azacca

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Mindcrime1000 from South Dakota

3.52/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a tulip

Pours a copper apricot with a one-finger head, mediocre retention but good lacing. So--this isn't an unattractive beer, but it doesn't look like a NEIPA at all. Nearly clear.

Aromas are somewhat muddled but pleasing. Tropical aromas meld with floral and grass smells. The only distinct aromas are mango and mandarin orange. Honey-kissed crackery malts as well.

The flavors follow the nose. Nothing "off" but somewhat muddled and lacking clarity. Vague tropical fruits mixed with a solid counterpoint of resiny earthy hops but nothing stands out.

The mouthfeel is excellent. Down the middle medium with good carbonation.

Overall, this is an interesting brew. The flavors are somewhat indistinct. Nothing stands out. That said, the fruity sweetness on the front of the palate is well balanced by the hop presence. In short, not spectacular, but a very well balanced brew.

May 26, 2019
LambicPentameter from Nebraska

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I took a flier on this beer even though I had never heard of Fernson because 1) I like Citra and Azacca, 2) the package design stood out to me and 3) the beer guy at my local bottle shop said it was really good. And since I like NEIPAs and I'm always looking for well-done versions that are easier to get than finding someone to ship me some of the coastal heavyweights, that sealed the deal.

Enjoyed on 10/27/2018 out of a 16 oz can with a packaging date of October 3rd and a "best by" of January 3rd. I can get down with a recommended drinking window of three months, so this brewer is off to a good first impression. Poured into a stemless tulip with a flared rim.

Appearance (4.25) - Pours a coppery orange-ish hue that is a little bit muddy or dull looking rather than bright or vibrant. Beautiful color, but doesn't shine out of the glass like some in the style. Atop the body rests 2-3 fingers of frothy white foam that is dense with microbubbles--just a couple of larger suds accent the very top. Head retention is strong, lingering for a few minutes and never completely dissipating.

Smell (4.0) - A pleasing smell; nothing jumps out of the glass and hits me in the nose, but I do get subtle bits of mango and melon as the prominent aromas, with some underlying generic citrus, but fleeting. As is fairly typical of the style, the presence of the underlying grain bill takes a back seat. Maybe some hints of cracker or flatbread, but really, the hops are front and center.

Taste (4.0) - Follows from what was previewed with the aroma, but with a bit more assertiveness. The tropical flavors are present, again with mango and melon, but less of the citrus that I thought I picked up in the smell. Bitterness is low to nonexistent--seems like it's just enough to prevent this from becoming one note and boring, but it's really far in the background, as you might expect from the style.

Feel (4.5) - Moderate to low carbonation, and what carbonation that does exist is soft and creamy rather than sharp and biting. The overall mouthfeel is creamy and lush, like you expect from the NEIPA heavyweights. Drinks smooth and easy.

Overall (4.25) - this is a very solid offering from this South Dakota brewer. I don't get the punch of aroma and flavor like I do from some of my favorite NEIPA brewers, but what smell and taste exists is very good and they really seem to have nailed the creamy mouthfeel and low bitterness. I would gladly pick up another entry in the style from Fernson and my curiosity has definitely been piqued about their other, regular, offerings.

Nov 06, 2018