Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Allagash Tripel Roselaire | Allagash Brewing Company

allagash.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by pnkermiz on 01-23-2007

Reviews by LilBeerDoctor:

Reviewed on 6/17/08. Aka "Allagash Tripel Roselaire." 10 oz. growler from Shoreline Beverage, Huntington NY. Pours a dark yellow with a small ring of white head. Aroma strongly of OAK, white wine, light fruits, whiskey. Flavor is similar to the aroma, pretty sweet, with vanilla, buttery popcorn, lemon, citrus, and of course oak. Gets a bit sour and tart as it warms. Quite tasty and one of the better oak barrel aged beers I've had. Very interesting beer, more like a sour than a tripel though. I look forward to trying this again in bottle (if reasonably priced).
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I assume my rating should go under this listing -> Tripel aged for 2 years in oak wine barrels with Rosalaire yeast culture. Billed as the 'Allagash Tripel Roselaire'.

Thanks to TomDecapolis for sharing this one! Poured a medium golden color with a very small sized head. Aromas of wood, funkiness, vinous, woody, and fruity. Tastes of vanilla, wood, funky, fruits, and grapes. Light tart and sour finish.

Notes from 7/11/08

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled 10-11-2007.

I work at 3 and Barcade opens at 2 for their 3rd anniversary shindig. I walked a half mile in a light rain, umbrella-less, just to make sure I would have a chance to try this beer.

Pours a foggy gold with no head. Nose almost seems like cider with a sweet apply thing going on. That is pretty odd. Flavor makes me think: “Whoa.” I haven’t looked at the notes yet, but you can really tell this has some barrel aging going on. After looking at the notes, I see that it has been aged in French oak merlot and syrah barrels. You do get those interesting wet wood characteristics here. Complexity, though? Not as much as it could be, IMO. Especially when compared to some others out there. One that comes to mind that I recently had is Hitachino’s XH that really delivered some interesting flavors. The cotton-like wood texture is most prevalent here and it feels nice. Good level of carbonation that seems on the lower side. Overall a very easy drinker, though it really doesn't hold the characteristics of a tripel, I think. Seems more like a strong ale to me. You don’t feel the 9% for a while with this one and it certainly goes down smooth.

Happy 3rd Birthday Barcade!

Allagash Tripel Roselaire from Allagash Brewing Company