Stone Crab IPA

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Stone Crab IPAStone Crab IPA
Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 33 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

No information on the label, so I'm guessing about 5-6%

Full malt body and nice floral hop profile, wish I knew what variety it is..
Golden red.
Delisious.
Not bad t'all...

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This IPA pours a slightly opaque, dark brownish orange color with a medium white foamy head. It is definitely a little darker than a standard IPA. The smell is mild for an IPA and pretty atypical. It’s kind of sweet and floral, with some malt character, which is totally drowned out in the scent of most IPAs that I’ve experienced. The taste similarly has a significant malt presence with some brown bread and sweet caramel flavors. There is a lot of floral character and a slight pine flavor in the aftertaste. The hop character is definitely lower here than in the vast majority of IPAs that I’ve tried and the malt character is a little bit higher. The body is medium. This comes off more like a slightly hoppier brown ale than a real IPA to me. This may be a good beer to try for those that aren’t into IPAs, but want something a little hoppier than a standard ale. It’s not at all representative of the style, but it’s kind of appealing to me if a bit overly sweet. If I was rating this based on its adherence to the style I would have to rate it very low, but I will instead rate it based on how much I like it.

3.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with an expiration date of 06-04-16. Sampled in May 5, 2016.

The pour is medium amber with a modest, fading head that leaves little to no lacing.

The aroma was more malty than hoppy. Any hops I got a hint of were the fruity kind but it almost felt as if the hops had faded.

The body was medium.

The taste was also more of a malt bomb than hopped up with a mild bitterness. In one sense this is probably a decent traditional English style IPA without all that explosive hop character. In that sense I give it the benefit of the doubt. Hop heads will want to pass on it.

Stone Crab IPA from Belfast Bay Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 83 out of 100 with 33 ratings