The Coconut Contender

Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
NateGoyette from California

3.61/5  rDev +2%

Picked this up on a whim because I love craft beer and the can looked cool.

Look: Nice cloudy amber color, half inch of head that burns off very quickly. A lot of fizz that reminded me of a lager.

Smell: Light citrus and hops off the nose, not strong at all. Tangerine, bready malts. There is a tiny bit of coconut on the exhale. Overall unimpressive.

Taste: Nutty, hoppy, and citrusy up front without bitterness. Coconut comes through on the swallow but it isn’t as strong as the other flavors. Coconut is present but I would like more, although it comes out stronger with the aftertaste.

Feel: Very thin for an AIPA. High combination and watery feel. Probably my least favorite part of this beer.

Overall: This is a lighter AIPA, consistent with the 6.2 abv. Refreshing, but muddled. The coconut would have worked better with a hazy IPA, imo. Not bad, but not something that I would seek out again.

May 15, 2020
bluejacket74 from Ohio

3.59/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 ounce can, says it was canned on 04/16/19. Labeled as Duck Foot West Coast Style Coconut IPA, 6.2% ABV. Thanks to my friend Denis for picking this up on a recent trip to San Diego! Served in a DFH Spiegelau IPA glass, the beer pours a mostly clear golden/orange color with a couple inch off-white head. Head retention is good and there's a lot of lacing. Aroma seems nice but weak, the brew smells like bready malt, orange, coconut, and grassy hops. Taste is stronger compared to the aroma, with toasted coconut, bready malt, grassy/pine hops, orange peel and orange flavors. Coconut does get stronger in the aroma and taste as the beer warms. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with a moderate amount of carbonation. I thought this was a decent enough brew, although it seemed to me like there was something missing. Still, I thought it was worth trying although I can't complain since I got it for free.

Aug 24, 2019
lucius10 from California

3.35/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This one didn't fit my palate well. I had an almost lager beer mouthfeel with this. The nose was too subtle at first...I had to search for the faint coconut notes, some sweetness. The nose blossomed as it warms. The taste didn't follow much for me, though. In all fairness, this may not be the freshest can, so I won't rate it too far down, but I am not sure that coconut goes as well with West Coast style IPAs. It seems coconut goes better with a haziness or creaminess of an hazy IPA IMO.

Feb 21, 2019
The Coconut Contender from Duck Foot Brewing Co.