Kapuziner Hefe Leicht Naturtrüb

View: Beers
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
BlackHaddock from England

2.12/5  rDev -21.5%

brown 0.5 litre bottle, just out of date when opened, I must sort out my beer stash better.

Been saving this for a sunny day, or after a heavy day without any booze. Today is the latter, heavy work, no alcohol.

Poured into one of my franziskaner Weissbier glasses. It looked fine, a hazy light yellow, golden body with a good foaming white top.

Where oh where is the banana, vanilla and other normal aromas I know and love so much from Weissbiers? Very little of anything, this is a lightweight version indeed.

It was refreshing, but so is cold water. Not a lot of flavour here at all, made me burp a bit, so there is some carbonisation about, but nothing compared to a regular Weiss.

Weak, timid and watery is the best I can come up with for the mouthfeel.

A true 'lawnmower' beer and not one I'll be having again.

Aug 10, 2008
wl0307 from England

2.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Got this beer by mistake at my local offie. I thought it was the tasty regular Weizen that I truly enjoyed, but it turned up the numbed down version... BB 23/05/08, served chilled in a weizen glass.

The presentation is fine: dark yellow, cloudy, well carbonated, topped with a well lasting white froth. The initial dusty smell gradually gives way to a rich layer of malted wheats, grainy malts, sour-sweet banana esters - not quite complex though. Then comes the horrible part: the taste is awful... thin, watery, literally the original weizen diluted with water! My palate could pick up random citric and zesty flavours (like lime juice) and sparse, super-thin banana esters against the malt backdrop, but the balance is in a total mess. Besides, the lively carbonation doesn't help in such a state of mess, as there's hardly any flavour that needs to be lifted up...

Given this poor performance, I can't help asking why the brewery would even bother producing this "light" version of the original, fantastic brew? To encourage the faint-hearted quaffing even more? Anyway, it's my first "light weizen" by accident, and I will never try anything like this in future as long as I can remember to read the small prints on the label...

Jan 15, 2008