Black Cauldron - Bourbon Barrel Aged | Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Black Cauldron - Bourbon Barrel AgedBlack Cauldron - Bourbon Barrel Aged

Grand Teton Brewing Co.
Idaho, United States
grandtetonbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by mwilbur on 12-19-2012

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very interesting nose/taste - Was not expecting the slightly sour berry taste! Almost like a brett. 2012 bottle.

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thoughtful extra courtesy of Ed...thank you for this opportunity.

Inky black with some heady perseverance.

Smells of black cherry, milked coffee, lightly woody, and a kiss of vanilla.

Woody barrel envelops the flavors from the smells. Light alcohol burn at the finish. Dark fruits intermingle.

Body is on the lighter end but fluffed by the carbonation.

Not a sludgy monstrous RIS, but by no means a slouch either. Plenty of character, light but present barrel, and complex enough to keep subsequent sips interesting. ABVkeeps this accessible and I appreciate that as well.

A fun try and a beer I knew nothing about prior to receiving. Cheers and thanks again Ed.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.81/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3/7/14
Served on tap at World of Beer Cherry Creek into a 10oz snifter.

Dark and opaque with a thin head that lingered.

Aroma is dominated by bourbon with vanilla, cocoa, and caramel malts

Flavor maintains strong bourbon notes with a more pronounced chocolate taste. The beer is fairly straight forward and did not offer too many other flavors. I don't necessarily think of that as a negative though. Carbonation is low as expected.

Mouthfeel is a lot lighter than I would have anticipated from the aroma. On second observance its only 8% and maintains that level of drinkability.

Overall it is a very enjoyable beer. Was it the best Imperial Stout I have ever had? No. But I am quite happy I got to try it as I've never seen it before and it was quite satisfying.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

Mini-Growler fill tonight from Whole Foods for ~$12.... Pours with a long lasting brown head.... nice lacing.... the brew is the expected black.

Let this warm up significantly for the full effect.. Fridge temperatures really mute the aroma... The nose shows as almost tootsie roll... fudgy and vanilla... bigger roasty char than I was expecting.

Not as much barrel presence on the palate as I hoped for, but it is still there... good standard RIS flavors with a light smack of vanilla/oak.. plenty of dark fruits.

Body is lighter than many of the big boys but is appropriate for a lower ABV... Carbonation is light and lends to a more creamy mouthfeel.

Pretty good... Glad I got the chance to try this one.

4.25/4/4/4/4

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.04/5  rDev -21%

Bottle art is awesome.

Okay. I've had two different bottles of this, and neither impressed me.

I hate do this, but I'm reviewing this simply because I didn't see any other reviews that mentioned the issues I had.

The first bottle I had when I received my Beer Club shipment had good flavor. I did not notice any barrel though, and it was pretty much flat. I emailed the brewery about this and they offered to send me a replacement bottle, which was totally awesome of them. I declined however because I did not think it merited all that ruckus, I just wanted to make them aware.

The second bottle I had today was way different. I've had enough barrel aged beers now to know what happened to this bottle. I don't think this was intentional, but as I poured it into my glass, I got excited; "Alright! A good head on this one."

That was where my excitement stopped. I couldn't smell much of an aroma and I took my first sip, I knew what was going on. It was really fizzy, and metallic tasting, sour.

Looks like the bugs got this one. Oops.

I'll open another bottle soon and see if it's present throughout all of the bottles or just this.

I really wish this beer was a bourbon and vanilla bomb, because I think the witches are cute.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Black Cauldron - Bourbon Barrel Aged from Grand Teton Brewing Co.