Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout

From:
Left Hand Brewing Company

Colorado, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

Yeah baby! This is one I wanted to take home in the growler...oooh....big beautiful stout, their regular imperial stout rocks, but here we have a touch of bourbon...I wanted it so bad, but on a tight budget, $35 was prohibitive. Instead I got the regular imp stout growler refill for $14, and the outgoing Snowbound was only $5! Score!! But, considering I put their Impy Stout way up there, worthy of tasting next to a Yeti, Dark Lord, or Speedway...their barrel aged monster is a super fine brew, I look forward to any future encounters. Did I mention they also have a super double IPA?!! And how bout that Fade to Black?!! :)

This is not the same beer as the wine or brandy aged versions that are available in bottles. It was a one time creation aged in bourbon barrels and served on cask.

Poured from a firkin at the Mountain Sun during stout month. Pours a rich, oil tinted mahogany with a silky tan head.

Nose has a bouquet of bourbon, wood, peppery alcohols, big sweet malts, ripe fruit, molasses, carmelized candy, oats and ripe port grapes.

Taste has a warm balance of dark fruits, toffee, caramel, bready malts, whiskey, oak, cocoa, and sweet alcohols. Absolutely delicious stuff.

Thick, creamy body with delicate carbonation. A little boozy, but I like it and still had several glasses. I think the bourbon barrel Left Hand used was pretty wet and bumped up the ABV quite a bit.

Overall, An amazing barrel aged stout that is ideal for a cask. Hope to see this offering again.

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company