Black Forest Nitro

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: Indulge in a devilishly delicious stout. Inspired by the famous German dessert, Black Forest Nitro tempts taste buds with tart black cherries and aromas of rich chocolate cake. Layers of flavor reminiscent of spiked fresh cherries and dark chocolate ganache cascade on a canvas of nitrogen. The super smooth mouthfeel is delicate and light while staying diabolically decadent. Crack a can and enter into temptation.
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 7 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
MikeWard from Pennsylvania

3.86/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16oz can into a pint glass. Best by 5/22/21, so plenty fresh.

Looks fantastic in the glass, similar to a guinness. Excellent lacing.

Light roast aroma with a hint of cherry.

On tasting, there is a light roast, and a deft hand with the cherry & chocolate. The body is very thin.

Mouth thin, finish is the roast overtaking the adjuncts.

Overall, a bit all over the place here. I appreciate the light touch with the cherry/chocolate, which can go very wrong. The roast floats in and out, but does last through the finish. The abv of 7.7 is completely hidden. I cant help but wonder if a heavier body would have made a more enjoyable drink.

Saturday at 01:04 AM
bartchimpson from Arizona

3.92/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

WHY must this be a Nitro?

Color? Amazing. Foamy head? Amazing. Flavor profile? Amazing. But this beer just was not meant to be a nitro! It's so flavor-forward and features juicy, sweet notes-- even with the chocolate, it's just not heavy enough to justify being a nitro. I can't help but compare it to Left Hand's other holiday release for this year, the S'mores Milk Stout. I feel like that one had a straight-forward concept that knew what it wanted to be and stuck the landing. This Black Forest Nitro misses the mark so very slightly, that it almost makes me even more disappointed.

I really wanted to love this, and there were lots of things that did impress me. The flavor was perfect for a winter beer, enough so that I've still been recommending it to those I know really like stouts. I think it's worth trying on that merit alone! Still, it could have been so much more. Here's hoping it gets a revamp next holiday season!

Thursday at 06:01 AM
akaizer from Virginia

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pour ended with a very dark body but the caramel looking head created a window of time where the body was espresso in nature -- a bit of an odd look but not unexpected as things settled out. Scent was a bit attenuated on the cherry (a bit cloying at times) with some of the cocoa peeking through. Taste was pleasant and a bit more balanced than the scent lets on, but it never quite reaches the heights I was expecting compared to other LH brews. Overall it is a solid stout but my preference leans towards their raspberry offering.

Nov 23, 2021
Rug from Massachusetts

3.16/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Best by 5/20/22

Alright since this is a fruited stout (with cherries no less) I’m expecting an all out assault on the senses. Tart and roasty is a flavor profile that doesn’t often work, but the possibility of it often excites me when I see these kinds of beers. What am I even going on about? Let’s just crack it open and drink

Pours completely pitch black with an infinite cap of creamy light tan head that leaves minimal lacing

Okay, there’s not all that much going on in the nose here, but I like the juxtaposition I get. I’m picking up on aromas of roasty chocolate, tart cherry, light vanilla, and lightly acidic coffee

Taste-wise, not very good. I think the nitro kimda ruins the sharpness that should be here. On the front end of the sip I’m tasting milk chocolate, light cherry, and vanilla. The swallow brings notes of medicinal cherry, roasty chocolate, and light vanilla

A medium body pairs with gentle carbonation, resulting in a sticky sweet beer. Finishes sticky and medicinal

Yeah, no. I wanted to like this, but what’s here is bland and buried under the nitro

Nov 19, 2021
schoolboy from Ohio

4.21/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I don't remember a Left Hand this good. This great brew is going to skew my beer drinking on an upcoming trip to Colorado.

It opens with exactly what you expect from a nitro. Often, I am disappointed with flat nitros, but not this one. A full pint glass of glorious foam. It totally works. The aroma is muted by nicely displayed by the foam. Cherry and chocolate flavors are not prominent. It all just balances nicely and is extremely drinkable. The finish is smooth and creamy. Not thick or boozy. Very nice stout. I want another one.

Highly recommended. I will seek out high end Left Hands when I'm in state in January (SKIING!). This one is all about not being too overbearing yet delivering a classy drink.

Oct 28, 2021
BB1313 from Ohio

3.57/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Best by 5/20/22. 16oz can poured hard into a tulip.

Pours almost black; big creamy khaki head that doesn't fall leaving sticky lacing. It looks almost perfect for a nitro beer.

The aromas are on the mild and subtle side. Mild hints of cherry. Some cocoa. Lots of malts. It doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't really smell like anything.

The flavors are a little bolder than the nose. More hints of cherry. Some cocoa and chocolate. Mild hints of vanilla in the mix. Subtle sweetness. No bitterness. Malts do their thing. Alcohol goes completely unnoticed.

Mouthfeel is exactly what you'd expect from a nitro beer. It thin and watery while still remaining full-bodied. There's obviously no carbonation.

They absolutely nailed the nitro aspects, but the cherry and chocolate notes aren't as bold as I was expecting. They're there, but they just don't shine. Maybe it's too balanced, if that's even a thing. The craftsmanship is impressive and is definitely the star of this one.

Oct 20, 2021