It's A Bit Nutty Hazelnut Coffee Stout

Outstanding
Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 17 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.64/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ellison.

Look: deep brown, almost black. tiny bit of tan head
Smell: sweet hazelnut coffee
Taste: tastes even better than it smells! hazelnut, coffee, maybe a little vanilla
Feel: heavy mouthfeel, very smooth

Overall: this is incredible. One of the best beers I've had. Will drink it again.

This stuff goes down like liquid candy, yet it's not too sweet. Man is this stuff smooth! It's not overly rich in taste - almost perfect. This is one of the best beers I've ever had! It could even be a session beer, but you don't want to be driving after a few of these.

It was on tap at Gravity in Grand Rapids, Michigan. By the way, it goes great with mac and cheese.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ellison....one of my favorite new breweries in MI finally shows up in Grand Rapids!

Look - Poured into a snifter at Gravity Taphouse moderate light chestnut hued head. Dark Dark coffee. Brown, not black. You could mistake this for strong coffee just looking at it.

Smell - Smells like it looks (you will begin to see a trend here). This smells like I just ground a pound of hazelnut flavored beans. Like seriously, this might be the cure for beer breath (is coffee breath better?)>

Taste - Yup, you guessed it. Hazelnut coffee, cream sugar and the works. Just the tiniest bit of bitter in there..I'd like to say it was from hops, but it might be the coffee...I'm willing to give the roasted flavor the benefit of the doubt and call it malt....but.... for my taste a little over the top with the coffee. It would benefit from achieving more of that character with the grain bill and less with the beans... That being said, I could sit here and drink a gallon of this. It's like drinking that hazelnut late' I never let myself have.

Feel - It dissapoints a little in the mouthfeel category, maybe mostly because you expect a sweet thick and creamy hazelnut late' to be..well..thick and creamy. It's not. It has a more porter like boddy. But it really doesn't detract from the experience.

Overall - An enjoyable beer. Easy to drink. Don't mind me if I use it instead of espresso in my next affogato!

It's A Bit Nutty Hazelnut Coffee Stout from Ellison Brewery & Spirits