A Certain Shade of Green

Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 4 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Greenlabel from New Hampshire

3.94/5  rDev -1%

Acquired a can of this Double Nickel product in a trade with a NJ resident. The can featured some unique artistry that I would imagine shows up very well on store shelves. Fortunately, the product within lives up to its advance billing. A strong citrusy emphasis in the taste yet well balanced and definitely refreshing. The 6.9% ABV is hardly noticeable but undoubtedly adds to the body. Overall, a solid NE IPA and if it were to become available in my home New England area, I'd be a repeat purchaser.

Aug 12, 2018
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Double Nickel Brewing Co. "A Certain Shade of Green"
16 fl. oz. can, coded "05/10/18 12:25:44"
$4.49 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Nice label. So what is this, a double dry hopped New England-style IPA? OK. Well this is cloudier than their other NE IPA, "autopilot", and it's darker, it's a kind of brass color. The head is a finger thick cap of creamy off-white foam and it seems to be holding quite well. In the nose it's fruity, "juicy" even, and hoppy with a bit of resin as well and a hint of "dankness". It's pretty bold, not the strongest aroma I've encountered, but definitely noticeable. Nice. The flavor is quite interesting. Instead of being "juicy" like orange juice with a bit of grapefruit of lemon added in, it's citrusy (orange, lemon, grapefruit) and tropical (mango, papaya) but with lots of juicy apple and some red berry to it as well. Original! How dare they! Man, I am loving this. I wish I knew what the hops were. I'd guess Mosaic but I'm not sure. Let me see if I can google it and find out... ... ... ahhh, it's Azacca and Citra - nice. Another winner from Double Nickel! They really need to put a little more effort in getting these specialty beers to market. Some of their core brands are excellent but they won't get the recognition they deserve from them - how sad that so many beer geeks ignore the basics. Anyway, it's not that bitter at all, which is to style, and yet it's got a nice, crisp finish with some bitterness showing up late. I could easily plow through about 4 of these in a row - what's the strength? 6.9%... ahh, that might slow me down around the fourth one but maybe I'd even go for 5 - I'm almost finished this one and I just started! Great drinkability. So, back to the flavor, the malt is light, delicately sweetish, and grainy and cereal-like. in the mouth it's smooth with a fine-bubbled moderate carbonation and medium-leaning-towards-medium-light body. I certainly hope they brew this again.
Review# 6,128

Jul 10, 2018
dafla67 from Pennsylvania

Solid hop and citrusy aroma. Very tasty -- malty, hops and the citrus. Well balanced. No one flavor is overpowering. Very smooth mouthfeel. Overall a very solid NE IPA.

May 25, 2018