Zeitgeist Festbier

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: Zeitgeist is a 6% Marzen-Style Festbier that we brewed with imported bavarian malts, hops, and yeast and then lagered before canning in these 16oz crispy delivery devices. ⁣⁣
jonphisher from New Jersey

3.71/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nothing to really talk about head wise or retention wise minimal thin layer of creamy white head remains but not much at all. Slight opaque color like most of their lagers as well so nothing out of the ordinary.

The aroma on this one caught me immediately as hoppy, I did have a German one right before which was probably a bad idea cause I think it’s falsely amplifying the hops in this one. Anyway it smells floral, little honey, and grainy actually very pleasant combination even though it may not read as so.

Taste is grainy bread with a slight sourness, I’ll call it sourdough though because it is not unpleasant at all. Ends with some nuttiness which kind of reminds me of a brown ale. No sweetness at all.

Mouthfeel is very good, nice creamy carbonation feel to it and it finishes very clean with a very subtle bitterness. The bitterness almost makes me want to take another sip right away.

Overall a very good beer. My favorite part is the finish it’s unique to me to have a little bitterness at the end of this style and I actually kind of like it. Cheers to new beers, hoping to grab another new one for tomorrow. Have a good night everyone

Oct 25, 2020
dbrauneis from North Carolina

4.04/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a clear medium to dark caramel in color with moderate amounts of fine active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and moderate amber + medium golden yellow + honey + ruby red colored highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense creamy foamy tan head that slowly reduces deuces to a handful of small patches of thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Slightly stronger than moderate aromas of toasted + caramel + bready malts with a moderate amount of caramel + honey sweetness as well as a hint of light fruit (apple + pear) sweetness. Light aromas of herbal + grassy hops.

T: Upfront there are slightly stronger than moderate flavors of toasted + caramel + bready malts with a moderate amount of caramel + honey sweetness as well as a hint of light fruit (apple + pear) sweetness. That is followed by light flavors of herbal + grassy hops which impart light amount of bitterness.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth with almost a hint of creaminess.

O: Easy to drink with well hidden alcohol and a smooth mouthfeel. Enjoyable but definitely a more full bodied + richer Oktoberfest (which I generally prefer). Makes me want some Oompah band music + wursts.

Oct 19, 2020
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

4.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Double Nickel Brewing Co. "Zeitgeist Festbier"
16 fl. oz. can without production coding or freshness dating

Notes via stream of consciousness: A quick sip of this tells me that they've gotten it right. It's bready, toasty, gently caramelish, and just a touch fruity and gently herbal. I'm assuming they've used Vienna malts which gives it that delicate fruitiness. It's got a hazy copper colored body beneath a finger's width of off-white foam that's holding up very well so far. The aroma is malty and bready with some hops in the background. Apart from getting the malt right, they've nailed the balance. There's a sweet edge to it upfront with just a drizzle of dark caramel and honey, but then it dries a bit and the toasty bread comes forward before the median bitterness appears as the malt fades in the end. It finishes with a swirl of that fruity note, caramel, and light toast as the herbal hops rise. It lingers for quite some time, although I'm motivated to go back for another sip rather quickly. In the mouth it's medium-full in body and smooth with a moderate carbonation level. There aren't many beers like this being served at Oktoberfest any more, which is a shame, but I understand that most people want something a little bit lighter on the palate. I'm impressed. I wish I could get more (I only have one left) but I highly doubt that. We'll see.
Review #7,067