Hop Harvest Ale (2008-2009)
BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Hop Harvest Ale (2008-2009)Hop Harvest Ale (2008-2009)
Rate It
From:
BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Hop Harvest Ale (2008-2009)Hop Harvest Ale (2008-2009)
Notes:
Reviews: 41 | Ratings: 43 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
GRG1313 from California

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Cleaning desk and found notebook of beer notes from 2011. Notes reflected that this beer was a bit dull, not bright in nose, mouth feel or flavor profile. However, also reflects that beer is pretty drinkable although not remarkable. Good basic flavor and drinkability.

Jan 25, 2016
Chelsea1905 from Washington

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

Nice orange appearance with a slightly yellow appearance too, quite light for an IIPA, to be honest, quite light and many better examples of a DIPA

Smelled like old socks, not even a good hope smell

Immediate wash of bitter hops, but the aftertaste is qiute confused

Feellls good in the mouth

Can't say I'd have more than this one

Sep 25, 2010
mwa423 from Ohio

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Got as an extra in a trade from wavers1. Props to him!

A - Pours a hazy dark brown color with a long lasting a sticky finger of head.

S - It's all about the hops in this one, steely hop bite in the nose.

T - Steely hop bit at first, hints of floral hops that fades as it goes down the mouth. Not nearly as strong of a flavor as I like from double IPAs.

M/D - Mouthfeel is full and bold, it's a reasonably drinkable beer I would reach for when I was casually drinking something hoppy.

Mar 21, 2010
hophead247 from California

3.83/5  rDev 0%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Not being a big fan of IPA's from Oregon, this one changed my mind. Pours a nice amber color with nice head and quite a bit of lacing. Very balanced smell...not too much hops up front, but definitely present. The taste was very balanced as well...a nice citrusy hop flavor followed by that toasty malt flavor that I just love. A very easy drinking IIPA that I wouldn't mind trying again sometime.

Feb 14, 2010
Ek0nomik from Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured In: Snifter Glass
Attained through a trade.

Appearance: The non-careful pour produces half a finger of head that quickly disappears. The beer is a nice dark amber color; the caramel malt should be shining through from the looks of it. I just can't get any lace to show up. I was expecting some nice sheets, but the snifter is perfectly clear. The beer is just slightly effervescent. It looks like the carbonation should be nice and soft on the tongue.

Smell: The nose is... well, a bit strange. There is either an enormous amount of herbal hops or there is a weird hop variety in there. The nose smells like freshly cut grass, a little alcohol, and some sweet caramel malt. The nose is entirely herbal, alcohol, and malt. There's no citrus in there. Not having citrus in the nose is fine, although the intensity of the freshly cut grass aroma is something that I haven't experienced before.

Taste: The palate is also interesting. The malt profile is nearly nowhere to be found. During the first few seconds of the tasting I really don't pick up very much flavor. It's as if they cut out the malt flavor temporarily. After a few seconds, some herbal hops come into play to finish the tasting. More notes of freshly cut grass, but some pine comes into play as well. The aftertaste leaves a little bit of citrus in my mouth, but it's still very herbal. The citrus flavor is grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a nice mouthfeel. It's a medium bodied beer, with a nice gentle carbonation that I love. It makes it easy to sip on right from the start.

Drinkability: A weekend beer for sure. I don't think I could handle twenty two ounces of this on a weeknight. This was an interesting beer. The herbal hop profile in the nose and on the palate was more intense than any other beer I've had before. I will admit, I am partial to the nice citrus flavor, but the herbal profile was a nice change. I think if the freshly cut grass could have been cut down in the nose and replaced with a little citrus it would have been a very nice change to the beer that would score it a handful of more points.

Jan 16, 2010
Bliss from Oregon

2.96/5  rDev -22.7%

Transcribed from notes taken while at the brewpub in Portland, Oregon. Fragile head, orange hue with grassy hop aroma with hints of gunpowder green tea. Easy malty mid-palate with some residual candied sweetness. Very easy drinking and pretty pedestrian.

Jan 12, 2010
mudbug from Oregon

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a nice hazy orange with a thin head and some lacing.
Smell is fresh grass, grapefruit and a little pine.
Fresh tasting with very bright hopiness thin malt backbone, very similar to Sierra Nevada Wet hop beers.
Easy to quaff, I wish it was a hot day, This is very thirst quenching and refreshing.
Cheers!

Dec 09, 2009
checkfeet from Korea (South)

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

First try of this style...

A: A cloudy deep orange gold with a nice frothy head that leaves little lacing as it goes down.

N: Whiffs of peaches, oranges and lemons, resiny pine trees and fresh grass.The pineyness is really strong and isolated. I can't decide if it reminds me of household cleaning products. I guess not.

T: There really is a freshness to it that is new to us. You can taste some of the fruitiness and mild maltiness. It's very bright and easy to throw back. The freshness mixes well with the scents of falling leaves making it an interesting beverage for a crisp autumn day. However, compared to some of the NW IPAs out there, it's perhaps a little simple tasting.

M: A little light in the mouth...

It will be interesting to compare this to other fresh hop beers in the future.

Nov 21, 2009
chickencoop from California

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

This brew is all hops, from the smell to taste to mouthfeel, this is your typical big hoppy west coast beer.
Poured a deep amber, with a thick head. Smell was somewhat malty, but over-powered by hops. Taste is big hops at the front, big hoppy dry finish to close out.
This is a very solid drinkable beer for the hop dominance, I highly recommend this.

Nov 20, 2009
CHILLINDYLAN from Washington

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Clear copper amber with a big smooth offwhite foamy head. Droopy mountainous laces.

Pine, grassy, herbal. Apple and medicinal cherries. Toasty bread and caramel. Not as hoppy as i expected this hop harvest to be.

Fresh earthy grassy/piney hops. Mild toasty caramel and spiced bread. Mild herbal/pine bitterness. nice freshness and a hop stickiness that builds.

med body, dry smooth and sticky, refreshing

Great freshness and a very drinkable and refreshing brew. Not quite as hoppy as i expected, but a good all around brew.

Nov 19, 2009
Derek from Canada (BC)

2009 Harvest.

A: Hazy copper, off-white head has a little retention & leaves a good lace.

S: Grapefruit rind, floral, vaguely catty, toffee & biscuit.

T: Grapefruit rind, a little piny resin, toffee, balanced bitterness, alcohol remarkably well-hidden.

M: Moderate body is smooth with a dry finish.

D: A really easy drinker for its weight.

I love their sessionable IPA... but I expected a little more oomph from this one.

Nov 19, 2009
cbarrett4 from Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Ap - Very nice yet typical amber hue
Ar - muted hop, straw, and citrus aromas
T - the hops are oppressive on this Dbl IPA (see below)
M - Astringent, the tannins need to be checked
D - a little bit over the top and unbalanced

Verdict:

I love these vintage hop harvest double IPAs, but perhaps I am unfairly comparing this to Chatoe Rogue (correct spelling) and the Deschutes Hop Trip. Where those two balance the hoppiness with rich texture and fuller flavors, this brew seems all about hops and not much else. If you like Barleywine and other super hop brews, try it. If you like IPAs and Double IPAs, stick with Rogue, Deschutes, and Hopworks.

Nov 12, 2009
kylesobrien from Canada (QC)

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

I ran across this one at my local Whole Foods and had to give it a try.

Pours a beautiful shade of apricot orange-yellow, and by appearance alone looks like a few IPAs I've tried. Head is a dollop of soft white foam, which persists briefly prior to dissipating into a soft raft of bubbles on a thin layer of white froth.

Aroma is nicely hoppy, mainly smelling of piney resins with a slight citrus-like quality. Taste is very crisp and full of hoppy goodness, with quite a bit less bitterness than I was initially expecting. Very smooth and relatively full-bodied for a pale ale. Aftertaste is a nice meld of hops and a bit of malty sweetness to round things out. To me, this tastes a bit like some good British IPAs I've tried in recent months.

My only regret with this brew is that it was released in the autumn. I think it would be good just about any time of year, but I would have loved to pop one of these open after sharing an outdoor meal with friends. If hops were no object, I wouldn't complain if the good folks at Bridgeport worked this one into the rotation year-round. I might just have to pick up a bottle to share with the family at Thanksgiving this year...

Nov 12, 2009
Reidrover from Oregon

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Dark orange coloured ale, slighly hazy,with a gorgeous thick,creamy off white head. Nice grassy/lemony hop aromas.Slighly flowery. Nice solid refeshing lemon-grass hop flavours,stay right to the end and beyond.Some malts. Pretty nice on the palate, quite good. Drinkable beer..but i can help thinking this would have been far better in its first month.
2009 version with 7% alc.

Nov 10, 2009
AKBelgianBeast from Alaska

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Nice to see fresh hop beers hitting the shelves again.

Pours a clear orangey amber color with a barely off white head that retains pretty well and leaves ok lacing.

Nose is mostly PNW IPA flowery hops with some slight dank sweetness (likely the wet ones) in the background.

Hmmm. A nice beer. Not quite as hop centric as i want it too be, but a very well balanced beer. A nice floral hop profile with a subtle fresh hop resiny sweetness. The malt backbone is right where it should be. There is a slight almost apple like twinge in the aftertaste and the bitterness slowly rises peaking at this point as well.

Mouthfeel is a slight bit heavy for the size, but really not too bad. Carbonation is right where it oughta be, and i like the balanced finish.

Drinkability is where this one shines. Very well balanced and a brew that you could easily kill a couple bombers of.

Overall a decent beer. Extremely balanced and quite drinkable. I would like a little more deep resinous hop flavor, but its alright as it is. A drinkable yet flavorful beer, just nothing terribly exciting. Good brew.

Nov 01, 2009
GJ40 from North Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Sampled from a 22oz bottle in a hotel glass. Purchased at Whole Foods on Westlake in Seattle. No date on the bottle but being close to the hop harvest, it must be fresh.

A deep golden color with a haze and a thick off-white head. A grassy aroma with a touch of lemon. The flavor follows the aroma closely with a strong grassy taste. Much of the flavor comes from a mild bitterness that emerges midway through and lingers nicely. It has some toasted malt and yeast in there as well. It's a bit on the dry side. It's got a moderate consistency and a low carbonation. It falls a little short on mouthfeel. The glass is left with nice rings of lacing.

This is a decent beer and I'm glad I tried it but I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

Oct 31, 2009
TheFlern from Idaho

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

This is the '09 version fyi.

Appearance: Pretty red for an IIPA. Plenty of head that laces poorly.

Smell: Full bodied smell. We got hops, we got yeast, we got malt.
I think i detect some apple notes in here as well.

Taste: This is just a big balanced ale. Nothing special going on here but nothing is going wrong either.

Mouthfeel: Not much alcohol and a perfect amount of carbonation. It doesn't finish too dry and leaves your mouth feeling good.

Drinkability: To big to drink too much of and I want a more distinct flavor in my beers.

Oct 06, 2009
younger35 from Minnesota

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

Received this brew as an extra from Gclarkage in a recent trade. Bridgeport IPA was the beer that turned me onto craft brews so I'm excited to try this. Hopefully the hops have held up over the past couple months. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Appearance- Pours a hearty copper orange with a huge billowing two finger off-white creamy head. A great cap and collar remain leaving loads of thick chunky lacing.
Smell- Still has a nice hop bite to it that is very earthy with tons of pine and grass. A small bit of grapefruit and something spearmint like show as well. Not much in the way of malt to get in the hops way but there is a light bit of sweet honey malt hiding in the background.
Taste- Starts with a nice hop bite that lightly bitter and full of citrus pith. The hops are still nice but you can tell they've lost some of that freshness as the bitterness is a little more harsh than when these are fresh. A light bit of toffee hangs around adding just a tinge of sweetness. A bit of grapefruit and pine linger for quite some time.
Mouthfeel- Medium to light body with a nice oily (almost creamy) feel with very light carbonation.
Drinkability- I'd say this has held up pretty nice for the most part. It does lose that real fresh zing that these fresh hop brews have but it's still very nice. I'll definitely have to keep my eye out for this come next year. Thanks Chris!

May 08, 2009
yeastsipper from California

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Beer pours a darker brown, woody color, much darker than pretty much any other IPAs I have. By appearance alone, I would have had no idea this was a DIPA. Nice head.

Smell is nice. A ton of citrus, I was getting more lemon and lime than orange and grapefruit. A very earthy, piney scent as well. The nose on this one is very sweet.

Taste is very nice. First sip is a really interesting earthy taste. Not biter or sweet, just pure green hops. Really dig it. This flavor soon subsides, leaving lots of citrus and some pine. The on drawback for me was that this beer was pretty sweet and I like my DIPAs on the bitter side. There was a lot of sweet malt and caramel type flavors balancing this out.

Mouthfeel was great and not at all syrupy. Drinkability is brought down by the sweetness and the fact that there was a slight almost metallic flavor for me on the end.

Good stuff. Definitely worth checking out if you see it.

Apr 25, 2009
GClarkage from California

4.76/5  rDev +24.3%

03/27/09- Purchased at Mollie Stones in Burlingame, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, 2008 release. Poured into my 20oz Pizza Port glass.

Appearance- Copper-amber colored pour. Unfiltered with super fine yeast particles. 1/4 inch head on a very light pour. Increases to a solid 3/4 inch after a few minutes of sitting. I have rarely seen this occur. The head is creamy and sparkling white. My glass is absolotely caked with streaks, patches, spots and lines of lace. About the best appearance per style I have seen.

Smell- Smell is quite nice, but understated. Fresh citrus hops, but a bit muted. Some nice toasted malts and a dash of caramel. Also a bit of a sugar scent and maybe even a touch of honey.

Taste- This bottle is at least a 1/2 year old and it tasted like the hops were picked off the vine yesterday. Juicy, and extremely fresh tasting. Brings to mind the flavor of Great Divide Fresh Hop (which is my favorite...or at least tied for favorite now...fresh hop beer). Some sharp citrus flavors. Pine is present as well. Pretty bitter in taste, but has a nice toasted malt backing to round it out very nicely.

Mouthfeel- Perfect carbonation, medium mouthfeel, makes you crave more...super juicy. Long long long lasting bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- If this had smelled like Blind Pig...it would have been my first ever perfect 5 beer. Tremendous job by Bridgeport. I've always been a fan of their flagship IPA, but now I am a fan...period! I will be going back to Moolie Stones in a few hours to buy more of these. I can't imagine what this tastes like fresh out the the keg.

Mar 27, 2009
popery from California

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Excellent beer, but the style has gotten so big and hoppy that it can't quite compete with the top DIPAs. The beer is a dark amber with a good head. The aroma is wonderfully hop floral with some interesting pine notes. The flavor is nice, but the malt doesn't quite stand up to the barrage of hops. It's a very nice DIPA that drinks easily. It's probably the best effort from BridgePort that I've had thus far. Good DIPA but not quite enough to compete with the very top beers of the style.

Mar 26, 2009
Bartian from Oregon

Grabbed the freshly hopped Bridgeport in hopes of it rivaling some of my favorites.

The Hop Harvest pours out like a darker honey; similar murkiness too! A nice hue with a good deal of carbonation and a solid half-inch head that resembled a natural cream. Quite strong lacing throughout.

As expected, the sweet smell was reminiscent of ultra hopped beers. A treat, as they all are.

The taste was a pleasent mouthfull of bitter goodness. Not too striking; but certainly pleasant with a lasting bitterness on the palate for minutes after the last gulp.

The drinkability is quite good considering the significant hoppy nature of the brew. Why sure, I'd take another!

Mar 09, 2009
Magpie14 from Michigan

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Green foil-top brew with green label. I got this 22oz bottle out the door from the brewery for $3.00! Not a bad deal....I gathered they are fixing to get rid of the stuff

A: a rather unique color with what looks to be clouded reds and browns, faint ruby, and light orange hues. Very light and bubbly khaki colored head with a soapy type of texture. Lace was stringy and rather dense at some spots, somewhat intricate in arrangement and visually pleasing

S: this is where my nose began to wonder. For an "Imperial Style" thats "Triple Hopped" as stated on the bottle I was not sure what to think...timid? But that aside, the hops are the focal whiff and consist of darker smells with strong earthy and grassy-floral smells. Delicate malts and sweet notes complete the scent

T: this is rather interesting. Hops have a strong footing and yet they occupy a different taste. It is not the classic west coast hops you would imagine. I want to say that things are much darker in overall hop character, not much fruity citrusy acids or bitterness. Hops are earthy, grassy, with leafy tea notes and somewhat stale at times, I would venture to say centennial hops that has a "malt strong" pale ale vibe.
You know what, I am finding a soft sweet lemon and maybe a squeeze of grapefruit making a showing as time passed

M: has a smooth glide down the hatch. Body is right in order with medium and like others of its kind, maybe just a bit on the husky side. I must note that a very light oily finish, towards the back, that is somewhat reminiscent of the typical citrusy flavor of high-alpha Northwest hops

D: this beer grew on me as I drank and made its way to a good standing. I am not sure how long this guy is in circulation for Bridgeport? but I am gonna snag on as soon as they come out next time. Still, this is a solid brew

Feb 21, 2009
Spikester from Oregon

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

From a bomber that was quite fresh when I bought it. Wrote review about three months ago.
Huge pine-hop nose. Pours dark amber with a one finger cream color head. Taste is bitter pine citrus with a strong malt backing. Hops win the flavor battle. Mouthfeel was just right with proper carbonation level. Plenty of interesting flavors separate this from most West Coast big beers. I will be having this again.

Feb 07, 2009
Wasatch from Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. Bomber
Green Foiled/Cap

Pours a very nice hazy dark golden orange color, nice carbonation, very nice two-finger thick creamy off-white head, lots and lots of nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is pretty hoppy, with some malts, very nice citrus/pine notes. The taste is very hoppy, with some malts, citrus/pines notes. Medium body, chewy, the finish is slightly dry/bitter. Very drinkable, this is a very tasty DIPA.

Feb 01, 2009