Hop Harvest Ale (2011)

From:
BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes:
Reviews: 34 | Ratings: 56 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
AgentMunky from New York

3.46/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a glass. From notes. Reviewed 20 January 2011.

A: Slight head. Hazy, light gold.

S: Metallic-smelling hops. Sweetish malt?

T/M: Acceptable. Well-balanced, carbonated, mild hops, and largely sweet-round malt. Slight citrus.

O: Not particularly my thing. Drinkable, but not compelling. Maybe I needed it even fresher?

Jul 05, 2014
BaileysBrews

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

Good carbonation, small head, very floral and citrus. Some nutty undertones to me, but thinking back I may have been eating some nuts when I drank the beer. I really need to work on not eating foods that don't compliment the beer. I think just like wine you need to know what beers go with what foods and I haven't spent the time I need to learn this trick, thank goodness for BA. I love IPAs and I think Bridgeport is the best Pacific Northwest Brewer when it comes to an Ale.

Jun 02, 2012
Giovacchini from California

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a amber color with a one finger head that disapates.

S- Nice floral hop aromas, pine, citrus,

T-Very little malt, citrus , tropical fruits, pine, and mango

M-Watery slippery mouthfeel with little carbonation and almost no bitterness.

O- A decent beer very drinkable. My first beer from Bridgeport. I wasn't sure if this was the 2011 Hop Harvest or 2012? I guess it just means it made using hops from 2011 and not bottled in 2011.

May 20, 2012
Cyberkedi from Georgia

3.3/5  rDev -6%

Malty, hoppy aroma is not strong but still promising. It pours a clear, fizzy amber with a decent eggshell-white head. Malty aroma has a strong hoppy overtone and hints of green wood and fruit. Was that a whisper of banana? Firm texture has plenty of fizz and sass, leaving a woody, hoppy, slightly bitter finish. Overall, if not outstanding, still a decent brewski.

Mar 16, 2012
bstave from Washington

4.09/5  rDev +16.5%

22oz bottle poured in Dogfish Head tulip pint.

A- Poured 1 finger head that stuck around for a while leaving very little lacing. Body is hazy orange.

S- Smell is very nice. Interesting hop profile here. BIG citrusy hops and I am getting a big sweet lemon smell. My first though was lemonheads. Like it a lot.

T- Big bitter citrus hops. Tons of lemon here. Nice sweet malt balances this somewhat, but this is a hop forward beer. Nice.

M- Mouthfeel has a nice medium body. Carbonation creates a nice creamy mouthfeel.

O- I am surprised how much I like this beer. Bridgeport did a really nice job with this one. I am glad I got to try it. I realize this is a fresh hop beer and it is not exactly fresh now, but it has held up really nice. I will seek this out next fall for sure.

Feb 21, 2012
barnzy78 from Illinois

3.74/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz bottle, must be 9/2011 release? I bought this for a steal at the Woodman's in North Aurora for $1.99, but figured it was worth the risk. A careful pour left a hazy light orange ale topped with a decent white head that left good lacing on the glass. Aromas were full of aromatic, fresh hops, citric grapefruit, and some malty grains. Flavors had some complexity, but were unique - grapefruity, with some notes of peach, mandarin, and mango, with a fresh hop piny bite on the finish leaving the palate slightly dry and bittered. Mouth-feel was full bodied and pleasantly juicy and refreshing. Overall, I felt this was a very good fresh hop ale, even though it was about 5-6 months old. I might just have to go back and buy more for that price!

Feb 19, 2012
Fatehunter from Oregon

3.04/5  rDev -13.4%

I just bought this bottle so I hope it's a 2011 because there is not a date on the label.

Poured into a tulip glass. Cloudy orange color with a half-finger of head, short retention but good lacing.

It has a musty smell, not very appealing. It has the faintest lemon smell.

The taste is nice and clean. Moderately bitter and hoppy throughout. No other real flavors coming through. It's nice all the same.

Crisp texture. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied.

A straight up IPA. The smell was off, hopefully it's not widespread.

Feb 18, 2012
blakelive784 from Colorado

3.17/5  rDev -9.7%

1 pt 6 fl oz bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

(Note: I got this bottle at a heavily discounted price, and I assume the reason is this bottle is none too fresh. I can't tell how old it is though as there's not a bottled on or drink by date).

A - Pours a cloudy orange color with 2 fingers of off white, decently creamy head. Retention is poor, though the head leaves a good bit of lacing.

S - Orange, lemon grass, a fair dose of caramel and crystal malts, candy, and an odd dose of cream. It's surprisingly mild, but seems well balanced.

T - The hops dominate, as expected, and are just a bit overbearing. The crystal malt isn't as strong as the nose predicted, throwing the balance off. Lemon, orange, and tropical fruit notes throughout, though they're subdued. Standard fare, I'd say.

M - Light bodied and a bit watery. It's carbonated well, though.

D - It's a pretty standard IPA, though I think my bottle is suffering from freshness issues (and will not be reflected in the review).

Feb 15, 2012
Nerudamann from Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look – golden/hazy amber color, hazy, with about a finger’s worth of light khaki-colored foam that dissipates somewhat quickly.

Smell – not quite malty-smelling, more of a sweet hop, which makes sense given the bottle’s description. I don’t quite smell the wheat, but that may be the intent, to keep it subtle.

Taste – immediately the hops are felt, and then moments later tasted. The bitterness grabs the side of the palate firmly upon the off of the tasting. Interestingly musky and hoppy at the same time, which lingers into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – pretty well balanced overall, not too creamy and not too watery.

Overall – very intriguing brew from the aroma to the aftertaste. It’s a strong hop though, so not to be recommended for those who don’t tend to like hoppy ales.

Jan 29, 2012
twiggamortis420 from Texas

3.19/5  rDev -9.1%

22 oz bottle pours a hazed honey color with an ample cap of white head. Nice bubbly sheen and swiss-cheese lace.

Hops are almost exclusively citric, not much pine, floral or tropical here. Alcohol is a bit fusel smelling and the malts are light and honey accented. It does not smell good, smells like the ABV is 11% or so...why does it reek of rocket fuel?

Taste is much better than the aroma. A nice spectrum of fruity-citric flavoring hops to a fair amount of bittering hops is the most notable aspect. Malts stay light and biscuity. The fusel ABV in the nose is tempered greatly on the palate. The yeast seems to throw off some light fruits akin to kiwis and strawberries. Mouthfeel is fine, middle of the road. Not near as bad as I feared after smelling it. Whats up with that? I am not sure I have come across too many beers that smell as bad as this one but taste just fine. Not bad for $4...Dare I say I might buy it again?? Es possible...

Jan 29, 2012
zaphodchak from Virginia

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Thin whitish head, hazy light amber.

Nose is subtle, some apple, nutty hops.

Hops at the front, then a wash of nut, then leaves at the finish. Neat, not super bitter. I guess this is 'dripping-wet-hop'! A bit steely, but in a hoppy way.

Feel is pretty smooth, slightly frothy.

It's a pretty good IPA-- I can't say I've had anything hopped this fresh.

Jan 21, 2012
dbossman from Nebraska

3.61/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden hue with a huge, frothy head that has great retention and wonderful lacing

S: A bit subdued but pleasant lemon and grapefruit from the hops mingling nicely with a grainy malt bill; I wish it was more pronounced but this smells pretty good

T: A surprising pungent bitterness and even boozy elements but then the slightly sweet malts and citrus flavors balance things out and in the end it finishes well

F: Fairly sticky and oily medium body

O: A decent hoppy brew that comes close to real good thing but in the end is just a nice beer

Jan 18, 2012
russpowell from Arkansas

3.31/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours honey colored with 3+ fingers of fluffy of cream colored head. Great head retention & lacing

S: Grassy & piney, bready

T: Piney & lemony hop notes along with a touch of breadyness up front. A touch of grainyness & then grapefruit as this warms, thins out as this warms. Finishes with lemony hops & grainyness

MF: Medium bodied, creamy, body thins out a bit as it warms, alright balance

An alright IPA/Hop Harvest Ale. Wish I would've tried this a few weeks earlier when I bought , got buried by newer beers. Would try again if I could find this Mid-Fall as opposed to late Fall. Easy to drink all things considered

Dec 20, 2011
Zorro from California

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

Chill hazed amber colored ale with a small white colored head.

Smells herbal with a strong green hop smell. Fruity apple smell. English style hops possibly Kent.

Starts out dry and fruity with a cherries and pears taste. Very dry and herbal, not much sweetness here. Woody and bitter without any citrus flavors.

Mouthfeel is average.

Overall an OK beer but I have had better.

Dec 17, 2011
meeekyh from Colorado

4.07/5  rDev +16%

I got this beer in celebration of a thing, what I shall not say but this sounded good tonight. I like Bridgeport for their consistent quality beer that is almost always cheaper than the competition. For a fresh hop bomber this one was toward the cheep side at 5.99, which I can appreciate this time of year especially.

The color is a light honey with a solid two fingers of yellowish, off-white head which does disappear rather in a hurry but leaves its mark in the form of lacing aplenty.

Smells are remarkably grainy for such a hop-centric beer. This does not upset me as I have truly come to be a lover of malt and its role in beer. It took rather some time and effort to get past the marketing and fad of beer to see into the wonders of the grain bill, but having done so I derive greater pleasure from my ales and lagers than ever before. All this leads me to the light and pleasantly sweet malt that tastes of biscuits which comprises the backbone of this beer.

The hops are present, bitter and citric. Providing tang along with the bitter and revealing grapefruit at the finish. The balance with the grain is good and increases the drinkability. I would like to say that the twang and bite I expected from this beer is so subdued, almost unlike a fresh-hop beer, that I am surprised, but in a good way.

All told this beer exhibits a great balance with a hefty dose of hop-plexity and tart joy. The grain is well thought-out and the overall impression is very good. This is another winner for Bridgeport and not an overwhelming hop-bomb or a disappointment due to any other factor.

Very nice, especially at the price. Slainte!

Dec 15, 2011
sweethome from Illinois

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured in to a belgian tulip glass - hazy golden color - a hint of hop green?

Lacing is straight down the glass post sip.

Wow - a huge perfume hit on the nose - fresh floral hop cone - not sure of the variety, but it is Bridgeport through and through. So floral, perfumey....fresh cut grass.

Nice, hashly hopped entry. Tea, honey, grass, grapefruit - so complex. Flavor is not overly pleasing to me, but I love the complexity of flavor and the craft of this fresh hop ale.

Lip smacking dry finish. Like sucking on a hop crusted lemon.

An ode to a unique varietal hop - and so well done on that. This is not IPA - it is fresh hop ale! We need a new category folks - fresh (wet) hop ales are not IPA!

Dec 11, 2011
beer2day from North Carolina

3.79/5  rDev +8%

Dirty, hazy lemon gold pour. No head, no retention, and no lace.

Mead nose. Sweet floral hops with a touch of honey.

Raw grainy flavor. Sweet honey kicks in as in the nose. Light alcohol and hop burn in the finish. Medium oil and resin from the floral hops.

Thin body. Hops seemed to be felt as much as taste, with a nasal character that kicks in.

Good enough.

Dec 09, 2011
beagle75 from Iowa

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a bomber into a nonic glass.

A: Slightly hazy, medium golden color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Mild grapefruit hops are mostly unaccompanied in the clean smell. A faint bready quality gains footing once the beer warms in the glass a bit.

T: Begins dry, with neutral pale malt and herbaceous hop aromatics of moderate intensity. Acidity is fairly aggressive into the middle; carbonic. Malt becomes more bready as acidity recedes, with aromatic hops gaining their second wind in the form of a dynamic floral display. Bitterness in the finish is moderate intensity and long-lasting in duration. It packs a late punch thanks to the endearing floral qualities, making a case for memorability.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, moist and balanced on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This beer is everything that the label advertised, presenting a respectable pale ale with just enough interesting hop character to warrant the wet hop pedigree. It is the late hop flavors that shine brightest here, presenting some of the most honest floral qualities recently encountered. It also has some house Bridgeport flavor in it that reminds of earlier times when Bridgeport IPA was the only IPA available worth drinking.

Dec 02, 2011
Georgiabeer from Georgia

3.97/5  rDev +13.1%

I'm a little surprised that the reviews are so low for this beer- it's a fresh hopped ale, it's not supposed to taste like a typical IPA! Fresh hopped ales almost always are softer and have more herbal and floral notes than one with dried hops or pellets. I've also found that many fresh hopped ales have a waxy note, reminiscent of that found in many Junmai Sakes, and this one certainly exhibits those characteristics. Soft and with clean, honeyed malt and nicely herbal, floral, and waxy notes, both in the aroma and flavor. A bit of bitter citrus helps balance things nicely. A quite nice harvest ale.

Nov 27, 2011
bierbrauer from Wisconsin

3.49/5  rDev -0.6%

22 oz. bottle, brought back from recent visit to Southwest. No visible date information -- based on dates of other BA reviews, this appears to be two months old. Poured into tulip glass.

A: Cloudy deep gold, with 1-1/4" off-white, fluffy head that falls quickly, leaving a patchy layer of lacing. No effervescence.

S: Citrus, like mock orange blossoms.

T: Initially sweet, fruity and malty, followed by very limited bitterness that grows gradually and is somewhat unsatisfying.

M: Light/medium body and light carbonation; a bit thin, with sour finish.

O: As tasted, this is a malt-forward ale with a fruity base that would benefit from additional hops to balance it out.

Nov 20, 2011
mjw1200 from Ohio

Good beer. Very drinkable. Lots of hop and citrus. Leaves me with a bitter hop flavor after each sip which I really enjoy. It's slightly lighter than I usually drink but for an unusually warm day in an Ohio November it was refreshing and easy going down. I see why my Seattle friends enjoy this beer. Slightly too much wheat flavor for my normal IPA preference.

Nov 09, 2011
TheWhiskerReview from Tennessee

3.29/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a 2-finger fluffy, dense white head. Reduces to a ring leaving sticky lace at the top of the glass.

The nose's hoppiness is rather subdued- very flowery with white flowers, citrus blossoms, faint orange juice, straw and faint hop oils. The malt is bready while there's also some faint apricot tones.

The medium bodied palate has some nice textures but, like the nose, the flavors are really thin and hard to find. There's a moderate sweetness atop the bready malt and touch of hoppy slickness, while the bitterness hits big and instantly and lingers for a long time on the resinous finish- the thin flavors of indiscriminate citrus, flowers and hay lead to a bit of pineyness.

It's such a shame. Has the textures of a nice wet-hop ale with a pleasant crispness, but where are the flavors? I know that fresh herbs are way less pungent than in dried form, and maybe that's where they went wrong. Judging from the fact that 5 cases of this showed up at the store where I bought it as opposed to the 1 case of SN Harvest, I'm thinking that they stretched their hops a little thinner in an effort to produce more beer. Grave mistake.

Oh well, I'm not too upset tonight. At least the Cards won the World Series, bitches...

Oct 29, 2011
Tilley4 from Tennessee

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

A rather average attempt at a star-laden style... The hops in this one were definitely present but they seemed muted and almost overwhelmed by the amount of malt and wheat used here... Citrusy and zingy in nature, but lacked a real pop... I wasn't crazy about the wheat here... Tamed things down too much for my taste... The yeast was prevalent as well and sort of muddled things a bit... Was hoping for a little more here...

Oct 28, 2011
chicagobill13 from Illinois

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%

I really love this brewery but they can make some bad beers just like every other brewery. It is not a knock on them.

This beer has a very good beer. It has a very golden amber look to the beer.

Smell the hops. I really love this smell

Taste and mouthful is awesome. It is not over bearing like every other IPA or Pale ale out there. This is very balance.

Overall I have to say this is a beer I would love to drink 4 pints. That's my rule if the beer is good. Check this one out! Cheers!

Oct 25, 2011
ellswrth from Oregon

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

A-Clouded, slightly rusty orange color. Decent head, mild lacing.

S-Smell is a little weak compared to my expectations, but I can smell the fresh hops.

T-I would have liked a bigger finish -- something that kicks -- this is pretty mild and dissipates quickly.

M-Not bad, sort of like a lot of random beers I've tried on tap in different places. Nothing outstanding, but not bad by any means.

Overall: I agree with the previous reviewers that said it doesn't really seem like an imperial IPA, but my bottle wasn't weird or chemically -- just tasted like a basic IPA.

Oct 23, 2011