Arrogant Bastard Ale | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

At Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co., we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny—a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale...even outright attempts to copy it...but only one can ever embody the true nature of Liquid Arrogance!

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Ratings: 10,683 |  Reviews: 3,089
3.28/5  rDev -21%

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sturdy.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a deep, dark red coloration with a small, medium, creamy, off-white head. Smells faintly of biscuity, caramel malts, toffee and red berries, with a hint of pine. Taste follows the nose, with a firm, slightly sweet and caramelly malt presence backed up by bitter, piney hops. Hints of chocolate, toffee, red berries and citrus. This is an expertly crafted and balanced amber ale that has great complexity without sacrificing drinkability. The balance between sweet malts and bitter, piney hops is exceptional with some nice layers of fruitiness and slight chocolate and toffee notes inbetween.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

So I will admit I was pretty skeptical in trying ABA because i had heard some unpleasant reviews about it which I feel are very unwarranted (more on that in a second) but I decided to take a leap of faith and give it a try. I am very pleasantly surprised with ABA overall and it actually shattered my expectations. This ale is definitely on my top 10 list of market ales to try because it is extremely tasty and satisfying. Now with the bad reviews I feel a lot of people expect more of a nut ale or brown ale taste to this similar to like a Samuel Smith. This ale actually has a pretty high hop content to it and its closer to an IPA than something like Sam Smith or Newcastle. If you don't like hops then I recommend staying away from this particular ale. All in all I give it a 4.5 and its something I would definitely drink again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can into a pint glass.

L: Pours a deep amber with a super fluffy, cream colored 2-finger head with great retention and lacing. A beautiful beer.

A: Substantial earthy nose, with a strong malt and caramel presence, along with a some floral hops.

T/F: Smooth malt, caramel and chocolate up front along with some sweetness, and followed with an aggressive hop bite at the end along with a hint of the alcohol content. Medium body, dry finish.

O: Very tasty beer. It has the look and aroma of an amber ale, with a taste that combines the best of ambers and IPAs.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured 16oz can into snifter. Dark brown with some copper highlight and a 2 finger khaki head. Fades slowly and leaves behind lacing that coats my glass. Aroma is very earthy and piney from the hops then mellows into a sweeter caramel malt. Flavor starts bitter, very earthy and woody, some caramel in the middle. Hints of citrus and piney bitter finish similar to a hoppy barleywine. Feel is medium with good carbonation and a dry finish. I was hoping for a bit more malt, but it is enjoyable.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was at the end of my rope with my day, so I picked up a big bottle of this to take to the face.
I was supposed to have band practice, but after driving all the way out to the storage space, NO ONE showed up!
On top of that, the code for the gate wouldn't work, so I had to drive right through the thing. Luckily it was just a 2x4, so my 2000 Nissan 200SX took care of that no problem. I was at my boiling point. I called all the guys on their home phones - no answer (of course!), so I left a message. Then I tried sending them all a text message - no reply. Then I sent each of them an email to let them know to check their voicemail and read their texts - crickets.
It wasn't a total loss at least, as I was able to fire up the space heater and get some song writing done on Old Faithful. I guess you could say I have a songwriter in me, dudes. And once I got this Strong Ale in me, things really took off. I wrote a pretty F'n sweet tune! It sounds like a love song, but it's really about playing video games.
Anyway, I have always liked this beer - especially the name. You know what I'm sayin? You know what I mean?

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Overall a decent beer. Drinking from a Belgian chalice from a canned beer. Pleasant beer finish isn't too strong head dissipated
Quickly nice malty texture and flavor. Hop taste isn't too strong. Reminds me a little of wheat beer without the banana taste, here it's closer to a prune flavor. Would drink again but would run out to get them.

1.58/5  rDev -61.9%

Not too pleasant. Tastes like metal. High percentage is nice but I would not drink it again.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Though you are not at all told, this is an amber ale. Lots of heavier (caramel/chocolate/black?) malt, dark color, a classic looking winter beer.
And that's absolutely great.....if you knew what you were buying. Which this brewery does not help do in any way....other than to overtly insult you into thinking you're an idiot for anything less than loving it.
Well eff y'all.
I liked it, just don''t appreciate being bullied into what to think. How's that for 'arrogant'? There are lots of good amber ales out there....and IMO, this is nothing special enough to create a brewery over, even if it does make for a good website tale.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

This is a very interesting beer! Deep color, leaning more toward a red ale...caramel? Very sweet note upon first taste, ending with a bitter hoppy aftertaste, like an IPA does. I'd pair this with red meats - steak, roastbeef sandwiches (beef on a weck) and burgers with really sharp cheddar cheeses. Quite impressive.

4.91/5  rDev +18.3%

Amazing. Simply amazing. The only thing average about this ale is the colour—semi-dark. But all else—wow. Smells great, everything you would expect from a strong beer; malt, hops, slight fruity aroma, etc. The taste is on par with the Trappist beers—no way you would be able to discern that it packs 7.2 % alcohol. Such a shame that it is available all over Central Europe with Czechia being the sole exception.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Arrogant Brewing