Arrogant Bastard Ale | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

At Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co., we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny—a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale...even outright attempts to copy it...but only one can ever embody the true nature of Liquid Arrogance!

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 10,799 |  Reviews: 3,119
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours up a deep mahogany color with a luxurious, creamy three finger, beige head. Nice lacing.
S: some slight grainy notes right off, followed by some caramel malt, very grainy, not really getting any hop aroma in the nose.
T: immediate munich, vienna and caramel malts followed by a pleasant clean bitterness, I cannot stress how grain forward this beer is, the hop profile is not; to my palate; particularly distinct however, opting for bitterness before any real flavor, though some slight piney, resinous notes do creep out as the beer opens up, along with some slight peppery flavors. I also noticed later some berry notes coming out through the malt.
M: Just the right amount of carbonation, with a medium body that feels slightly sticky.
O: This was not my first experience with this beer though it may as well have been, since it has been such a long time since I had tasted it. I have to say, I don't really like stone, and I think this is by far the best stone beer I've ever had, that being said I don't love this beer either, it's very nice, and I do quite like it, but I don't love it. It manages a real lack of personality in the hop department with a good amount of grace by having an exceptionally curated grain bill. This is definitely an important beer, and an interesting relic of another time not so long ago, that being said there is still much to enjoy here, and I for one hope that the approach of the earlier craft breweries like stone is picked back up by the younger generation soon.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

07/26/2018

I know I've had this many times before when it was still Stone; but 'ticking' and rating it here to make it official. I never liked this beer all that much or the tagline of "you're not worthy" or the arrogance of the description. I know, it's supposed to be Arrogant b/c of the name, but it still rubs me the wrong way, Yes, it's got a good amount of bitterness and it's in your face and it doesn't try to smooth that out in any way, but something about the approach turns me off.

That being said, I learned to like Stone much more sometime after this when their IRS and regular IPA and things like Xocoveza became available near me. Also, given some time to cool off from being deemed "Not Worthy", I can look at it with some perspective.

Can to Snifter. (4/11/18)
LOOK: dark amber. medium beige head with excellent retention.
AROMA: biscuit and vegetable; leaves, hay.
TASTE: more biscuity/crackery malt upfront; wood and sap in the finish.
FEEL: medium body; excellent carbonation.

Still not a favorite of mine, but I'll give it props for some of the perepherials as it is well crafted. It is not for the light hearted.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The only downside to this brew is the fact that I can't buy it in a six pack. Overall it's a fantastic beer and one of my favorites.

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pint can poured lightly into a 20-oz. mug. Brown/amber, ruby/amber when held up to light. Lots of carbonation, a light pour creates a rocky tan two finger head with sticky lacing that last throughout the drink.
Smell features piney hops and a mix of caramel malt and roasted malt.
Taste starts out bitter from roasted malt and hops. The middle taste is semi-sweet malt fattened up by the abundant CO2. The taste finishes piney and spicy from the hops plus a slight alcohol astringency.
Medium rich mouthfeel, lots of CO2 with a dry finish.
Big, malty, hoppy, the label braggery is over the top and so is this beer-in a good way.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev 0%

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear but dark red/brown color with abundant head. Only slight carbonation. The smell is quite strong. Initial taste is sweet then the hops kick in to become bitter, and then a slight coffee dry finish aftertaste. The feel Is warming. Overall a good strong ale

Not too shabby. I'd rather have something else but for something different, it's worth a try. I'll drink more based solely off of their "sales pitch" on the can.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear cola color, with tiny little bits floating around in it, and a big frothy light tan head. The aroma is mild, not as arrogant as one would expect, a little hoppy; The flavor is robust, strong, hoppy, with a bitter aftertaste; Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth for such a strong tasting beer, with moderate carbonation.

The first time I had Arrogant Bastard was in a restaurant. The large bottle was past its drink-by date. I shared it; we enjoyed it. Later I bought a six of 16 oz cans. It was so arrogant I had to have a snack with it to sooth the aftertaste. Then I forgot about it in the back of the beer fridge and this one last can, the one I reviewed above, is way past its drink-by date. It's not my favorite ale, but it's not bad. I like it better when it's aged.
I get a kick out of the arrogance statement on the can. "This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it...." and on for two long paragraphs. What a hoot.

1.03/5  rDev -75.2%

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a thick 2 finger head. Bright ruby red with nice carbonation. Beautiful lacing. Has to be one of the best looking beers out there.

S: Malt, caramel, some nuttiness. Slight hoppiness.

T: In your face. First the malt. Then the hops. And it doesn't let up as it finishes bitter. Flavor is complex, difficult to make out.

O: Drank it out of a can. I think the flavor has changed over the years, because I remember it tasting different a few years back. Still good, but doesn't quite live up to the memory. It's a good strong beer. Definitely need to be prepared for it.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Arrogant Brewing