Arrogant Bastard Ale | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

At Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co., we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny—a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale...even outright attempts to copy it...but only one can ever embody the true nature of Liquid Arrogance!

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Reviews: 3,045 | Ratings: 10,550
3.2/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Look - Pours a deep amber color, big billowing off white head, lacing all the way down the glass.

Aroma - Spicy hops, citrus, root beer, toast, warm.

Taste - Bitter pine, caramel, toasted malt flavor, light raisin or prune, slight citrus, finish is sweet and sour with aggressive bitterness, like chewing on aspirin or tylenol. All over the place on the palate, kind of an odd balance.

Feel - Medium bodied, sticky, slightly oily, lively carbonation, finishes on the drier side.

Overall - There's a lot I like and a lot I don't like. The malt and fruit flavors are awesome. The hops have a great flavor too but seem out of place to me. Bitterness lingers on way too long and becomes tedious. Not my kind of beer.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

Grabbed in Cali. Thin head with full lace. Ruby-amber color.

Mildly hoppy nose. Nutty bitter and mesquite spice.

Taste is mostly a balance in the spicy hops and nutty malt. Light brewers caramel smoothness.

Medium mouth. Smooth.

A decidedly American beer, dark strong and hopped with good balance. This is my first from the brewery and I'm definitely curious to see what else they can do. Good for a pint if you see it somewhere.

4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

An old school Ale, not for the faint-hearted. I poured one into the glass to observe its look, but the rest, I drank it right out of 12oz. can. Highly recommended.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Deep clear reddish brown, creamy thick beige head. It surprises me that people focus on the hoppiness of this beer when what struck me the most was malt, malt, malt. Heavy malt backbone of toasted caramel, a bit syrupy. The hops certainly provide a nice opposition to the malt with a bitterness and some dankness that in the end makes for a great balance. Body is rich and full, mouth coating. Remains balanced in the finish, leaving a lingering bitterness and sweetness at the same time. Definitely enjoyable.

2.71/5  rDev -35%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Rather disappointed. Was hoping for so much more, given the high score, Guess this just doesn't suit me. Lacks any discernable flavors other than malt and bitter hops on the finish. Much better Ales out there than this. Not worth the coin, in my opinion.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Beautiful dark orangish brown topped with a thick foamy beige head, great lacing. Toffee smell, a bit boozey. Nice caramel malt taste. Really nice beer - great with chicken pot pie!

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

12 oz. Bottle

Pours a very nice dark brown color, with some very nice carbonation, with a nice small/quick/fizzy light tan head, which leaves a nice medium size island and some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with some very nice hoppyness, some licorice. The taste is very nice malty, very nice hop note, licorice notes. Medium body, with a very nice bitter/dry finish. ABV is hidden very well. Overall, a very nice brew. Glad that it is available to me.

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Clear. Dark auburn. Thick dense head which is maintained.
Malt and hops aroma. Fruity but somewhat subdued.
Ripe fruits and toffee caramel taste. Hops appear in the bitter finish. Balanced.
Full bodied with soft carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden.
Rather disappointed given it's BA score. I far prefer any decent English Strong Ale.

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A thick and foamy pillow of a head. Color of a heartbeat. Red and gold, to be honest. Taste of a malt and hop war. Malt was winning when they called a truce. I will buy more.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

EJBY 04/26/17 printed on bottle
22 oz. bottle poured into a becher

Wow! This stuff is arrogant!

Overall not bad, but it looks great! I got a 3 finger thick tan foamy head that sat on top like a memory foam pillow. Otherwise it poured a clear reddish brown that let light through. It smelled malty and sweet, roasted malts and caramel maybe. In the mouth it is medium bodied with low carbonation. Bitter front to back and finished with some hops and that bitter aftertaste that I usually like with grilled venison or beef. The flavor and aroma are so strong I had a hard time picking out individual notes.

I will have a bottle on hand for my next time I grill some steaks.

2.38/5  rDev -42.9%

Geeeeaayahhhh! Taste worse than azz and I've had my tongue in a few. Like drinking a beer that someone flicked their ashes in. F this shatola. Had to pour mine out. Boyfriend said I couldn't type on my phone til I finished it. But I swallow, so he gave me my phone back. This beer tastes like someone dumped some hair spray in it. I mean really why would anyone subject themselves to this. This is the worst! No enjoyable which sucks because it looks and smells great and I wanted to get laid.

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It pours a brown color with a foamy head that lingers throughout. The taste is a dry malty flavor with very dry finish. The dryness I think is what gives it a bitterness to it. The body is rich and full flavored and pleasant. Overall a well made drink just a bit to dry for my like.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from tap into tulip.
L: Dark amber with a massive foam head
S: Sweets, raisin.
T: Pleasant bitterness, caramel.
F: Tight body and high carbonated.
O: Nice aftertaste and very good ale.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

What more to say than "Your not Worthy" just try it. It is what started my desire for non-yellow beers. It is my obvious Flagship Beer. I have found beers that rate better, but I am a loyal and true "Arrogant Bastard". It looks bold with a nice arrogant head, smells somewhat sharp & fruity at the same time, taste smooth yet hardy, feel is smooth and ful-filling on the palate. Get away from the yellow beer and be a bastard!

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is quite hoppy; hoppy in a way that kind of distracts from what else is going on with it. It's good, but it's got a dry finish that's almost overstated.

3.71/5  rDev -11%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

1 PT 6 FL OZ Sipped at sunset, from a big mouth wine glass, to the sound of ocean waves for sleep.

Held to the light, a nice ruby with a thin, persistent head and lively bubbles. Easy on the eyes.

The sent of malty pine. (Pine tends to dominate)

Feel/Taste ... follows the nose, with added fruity aftertaste. Sharp and pungent, sour and tangy. Proud and defiant. Beyond aggressive. After several gulps, a lingering malty goodness at the top of the throat, and serious Lemon on the mouth's roof.

Other fruits there may be, but I have been enjoying Lemon slices a great deal as of late. I was warned ahead of time about this ultra busy brew, and waited for the right time to savor it. Certainly not my regular cup of tea, to say the least, but this is quality stuff ... Now back to Guinness (& other Stouts) !

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

Extremely over powered with hops and herbs. Arrogant is exactly what it is, to the point of disgust. I'm a New Mexican Cumbre or even Santa Fe brewing have better more well rounded beers. This is just in your FUCKING face. If you don't want to waste your time or money go with any Sierra brew.

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Major notes: Complex (i.e. Lots of flavors), smooth mouthfeel, bitter, coffee, dried apricot, bitter after-taste.

Great beer to enjoy on a dark and windy afternoon on a porch pending doom.

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can and bottle... Clear copper color, pale beige big and persistent head... Aromas of pine, resin, flowers, hops, malt... Hoppy taste, malty notes, pine, notes of flowers, pleasant extreme bitter... Full body, creamy texture, soft carbonation and dry, bitter finish...

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured to a tulip glass.

A: The body is copper with some hints of red when the lights comes through. The head is beige showing some good retention and medium lacing.
S: The aroma has some toffee in hit and big backbone of malt. You can also find alcohol in this aroma which isn't that great but generally speaking it's cool though.
T: There's a giant malty touch with a generous yeast profile. You can also taste the toffee and the spiciness of this beer. Like cinnamon and some peppers I guess. The roastiness of the malt also provides a coffee-like basis for the whole flavours to show themselves.
M: The body is medium high. Carbonation is medium to medium low but perfect for the style. Bitterness is medium high.
O: I've had better from Arrogant Bastard, specially Double Bastard. But the historical power of this beer is all over the glass. You understand why this beer was so important to the craft beer revolution just by looking to the glass and having a sip.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer is beautiful to look at. The darkest red (pretty much ruby) I have seen in a beer. The flavor was great but very strong. Hops, hops, hops, bitterness, along with some chocolate and roastiness on top of the hops.

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark brown color, not pitch black. Poured into a pint glass. Good frothy light brown head. Slightly transparent and can see my fingertips behind the glass.

S - Definitely has a grain smell effect. Not too much going on with the smell other than hints of hops and malt.

T - Aftertaste is subtly bitter, but easy to drink in moderation. Little bit of a buzz on the tip of the tongue after every sip.

M - Tastes chewy, similar to a Guinness. Satisfying every sip, not too alcoholic. Slight creamy feel due to the heaviness of the beer.

O- Overall, this is an exceptional beer that I can recommend.

4.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! Big head thstbdissapent. Strong fruity smell, get a whif of alcohol. Super rich and malty....fruity taste....I'm thinking of dark fruit, plum and prune taste. Crisp balancing bitter finish with only a slight but pleasant aftertaste. Can taste the alcohol a bit, but it is pallet cleansing. For a strong beer, it seems like I could drink a few of these.....goes down very easy.

The is beer has the right to be arrogant.

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a snifter. The color is a dark red with a light tan head. The smell is very citrusy. The taste is a heavy grapefruit hoppy taste with bitter aftertones. Very different from any " ale " that I've ever tried. I've been drinking this for a few years and it's a love it or hate it type of beer. I love it!

2.3/5  rDev -44.8%

Let me begin by saying I like strong ales, barley wines, Ipa's, dIpa's, imperial stouts . It's not like I'm a bud drinker or afraid of a 11 percent beer. The first 6 pack I bought when I turned 21 was Bigfoot. That was just over 10 years ago.

Anyways, this beer is gross. It does not deserve anywhere near a 90. Ironically I am now the person the bottle says the brewery is not trying to please, but I feel o have a respectable palette and they simply are wrong. Their beer sucks.

The beer is thick and chewy. Like, imperial stout chewy but in a bad way. I choked down the 6 pack before I left this review in the hopes my pallet was off a couple nights. Nope, I simply think this beer is downright bad. The hops are all wrong, the body is like a barley wine gone bad, and basically nothing about this beer works for me.

Anyways, I won't be long winded, I just won't be buying this beer again. There are many better strong ales out there. Try one of them instead of this.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Arrogant Brewing