Arrogant Bastard Ale | Arrogant Brewing

Arrogant Bastard AleArrogant Bastard Ale

Arrogant Brewing
arrogantbastard.com

Style: American Strong Ale

At Arrogant Bastard Brewing Co., we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny—a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale...even outright attempts to copy it...but only one can ever embody the true nature of Liquid Arrogance!

Added by kbub6f on 11-15-2000

Reviews: 3,037 | Ratings: 10,529
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A thick and foamy pillow of a head. Color of a heartbeat. Red and gold, to be honest. Taste of a malt and hop war. Malt was winning when they called a truce. I will buy more.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

EJBY 04/26/17 printed on bottle
22 oz. bottle poured into a becher

Wow! This stuff is arrogant!

Overall not bad, but it looks great! I got a 3 finger thick tan foamy head that sat on top like a memory foam pillow. Otherwise it poured a clear reddish brown that let light through. It smelled malty and sweet, roasted malts and caramel maybe. In the mouth it is medium bodied with low carbonation. Bitter front to back and finished with some hops and that bitter aftertaste that I usually like with grilled venison or beef. The flavor and aroma are so strong I had a hard time picking out individual notes.

I will have a bottle on hand for my next time I grill some steaks.

2.38/5  rDev -42.9%

Geeeeaayahhhh! Taste worse than azz and I've had my tongue in a few. Like drinking a beer that someone flicked their ashes in. F this shatola. Had to pour mine out. Boyfriend said I couldn't type on my phone til I finished it. But I swallow, so he gave me my phone back. This beer tastes like someone dumped some hair spray in it. I mean really why would anyone subject themselves to this. This is the worst! No enjoyable which sucks because it looks and smells great and I wanted to get laid.

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It pours a brown color with a foamy head that lingers throughout. The taste is a dry malty flavor with very dry finish. The dryness I think is what gives it a bitterness to it. The body is rich and full flavored and pleasant. Overall a well made drink just a bit to dry for my like.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from tap into tulip.
L: Dark amber with a massive foam head
S: Sweets, raisin.
T: Pleasant bitterness, caramel.
F: Tight body and high carbonated.
O: Nice aftertaste and very good ale.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

MMMMM..... now THIS is my kind of beer. I love the brown-ale style of this with CLASSY brewing of upper echelon devices. The consistency, thickness, and POW of this JOY bring it all together perfectly. WAY HIGH rating in my personal opinion - THIS with dead guy from rogue are a couple brilliant brews I could chugg all day long. So happy to see Trump hitting all the little whiny dandelions over their stupid heads - and they NEED to be hit harder than no other, so glad to celebrate their pathetic cowardly downfall with some real suds. THANKS CALIFORNIA.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

What more to say than "Your not Worthy" just try it. It is what started my desire for non-yellow beers. It is my obvious Flagship Beer. I have found beers that rate better, but I am a loyal and true "Arrogant Bastard". It looks bold with a nice arrogant head, smells somewhat sharp & fruity at the same time, taste smooth yet hardy, feel is smooth and ful-filling on the palate. Get away from the yellow beer and be a bastard!

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is quite hoppy; hoppy in a way that kind of distracts from what else is going on with it. It's good, but it's got a dry finish that's almost overstated.

3.71/5  rDev -11%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

1 PT 6 FL OZ Sipped at sunset, from a big mouth wine glass, to the sound of ocean waves for sleep.

Held to the light, a nice ruby with a thin, persistent head and lively bubbles. Easy on the eyes.

The sent of malty pine. (Pine tends to dominate)

Feel/Taste ... follows the nose, with added fruity aftertaste. Sharp and pungent, sour and tangy. Proud and defiant. Beyond aggressive. After several gulps, a lingering malty goodness at the top of the throat, and serious Lemon on the mouth's roof.

Other fruits there may be, but I have been enjoying Lemon slices a great deal as of late. I was warned ahead of time about this ultra busy brew, and waited for the right time to savor it. Certainly not my regular cup of tea, to say the least, but this is quality stuff ... Now back to Guinness (& other Stouts) !

2.4/5  rDev -42.4%

Extremely over powered with hops and herbs. Arrogant is exactly what it is, to the point of disgust. I'm a New Mexican Cumbre or even Santa Fe brewing have better more well rounded beers. This is just in your FUCKING face. If you don't want to waste your time or money go with any Sierra brew.

3.99/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Major notes: Complex (i.e. Lots of flavors), smooth mouthfeel, bitter, coffee, dried apricot, bitter after-taste.

Great beer to enjoy on a dark and windy afternoon on a porch pending doom.

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can and bottle... Clear copper color, pale beige big and persistent head... Aromas of pine, resin, flowers, hops, malt... Hoppy taste, malty notes, pine, notes of flowers, pleasant extreme bitter... Full body, creamy texture, soft carbonation and dry, bitter finish...

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured to a tulip glass.

A: The body is copper with some hints of red when the lights comes through. The head is beige showing some good retention and medium lacing.
S: The aroma has some toffee in hit and big backbone of malt. You can also find alcohol in this aroma which isn't that great but generally speaking it's cool though.
T: There's a giant malty touch with a generous yeast profile. You can also taste the toffee and the spiciness of this beer. Like cinnamon and some peppers I guess. The roastiness of the malt also provides a coffee-like basis for the whole flavours to show themselves.
M: The body is medium high. Carbonation is medium to medium low but perfect for the style. Bitterness is medium high.
O: I've had better from Arrogant Bastard, specially Double Bastard. But the historical power of this beer is all over the glass. You understand why this beer was so important to the craft beer revolution just by looking to the glass and having a sip.

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark brown color, not pitch black. Poured into a pint glass. Good frothy light brown head. Slightly transparent and can see my fingertips behind the glass.

S - Definitely has a grain smell effect. Not too much going on with the smell other than hints of hops and malt.

T - Aftertaste is subtly bitter, but easy to drink in moderation. Little bit of a buzz on the tip of the tongue after every sip.

M - Tastes chewy, similar to a Guinness. Satisfying every sip, not too alcoholic. Slight creamy feel due to the heaviness of the beer.

O- Overall, this is an exceptional beer that I can recommend.

4.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! Big head thstbdissapent. Strong fruity smell, get a whif of alcohol. Super rich and malty....fruity taste....I'm thinking of dark fruit, plum and prune taste. Crisp balancing bitter finish with only a slight but pleasant aftertaste. Can taste the alcohol a bit, but it is pallet cleansing. For a strong beer, it seems like I could drink a few of these.....goes down very easy.

The is beer has the right to be arrogant.

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a snifter. The color is a dark red with a light tan head. The smell is very citrusy. The taste is a heavy grapefruit hoppy taste with bitter aftertones. Very different from any " ale " that I've ever tried. I've been drinking this for a few years and it's a love it or hate it type of beer. I love it!

2.3/5  rDev -44.8%

Let me begin by saying I like strong ales, barley wines, Ipa's, dIpa's, imperial stouts . It's not like I'm a bud drinker or afraid of a 11 percent beer. The first 6 pack I bought when I turned 21 was Bigfoot. That was just over 10 years ago.

Anyways, this beer is gross. It does not deserve anywhere near a 90. Ironically I am now the person the bottle says the brewery is not trying to please, but I feel o have a respectable palette and they simply are wrong. Their beer sucks.

The beer is thick and chewy. Like, imperial stout chewy but in a bad way. I choked down the 6 pack before I left this review in the hopes my pallet was off a couple nights. Nope, I simply think this beer is downright bad. The hops are all wrong, the body is like a barley wine gone bad, and basically nothing about this beer works for me.

Anyways, I won't be long winded, I just won't be buying this beer again. There are many better strong ales out there. Try one of them instead of this.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Confuses the hell out of me but in the end it is a winner. The appearance is a lovely reddish hue with a thickish head that soon thins out, leaving reasonable lacing in its wake. The aroma hints at a US IPA and a UK strong ale and the taste delivers both at first. However, the hops then kick in and crank the beer up to a higher level. The finish is wonderful, with sweetness and resin lurking on the tongue.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lovely reddish amber with a two finger cream colored head that is thick and foamy. Get ready for hops, hops, and more hops! Mostly citric and bitter hops, with a hint of pine resin, burnt sugar, and quinine. Even for the hophead this might be too much... definitely was for me. Not enough flavor balance. Good mouthfeel and carbonation, though.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very clear, pretty, mahogany crossed with a red ale. Looks great up to the light. Lots of bubbles rising, and a tan, creamy head that lingers forever. Thick lacing hugs the glass. The aroma is dark dried fruit...cherry, raisin, a little bit of woodiness, and lots of crusty bread. Flavor again lots of dark dried fruit, a little brown sugar, and a sweet breadiness up front. That is taken over by a nice bitter bite, and they kind of play off of each other. The feel is medium full body, average carbonation, drying on the finish, but a little slick for most of the sip. Overall, quite an interesting, tasty brew.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours like a good dark rum with a whiteish tan syrupy head. Reminds me of a Bavarian on first taste, as if its not from 'round here in the usa. Flavors are bold, malty, tangy - like a brown ale hopped up on the finish. I think i'll have me another and you should too.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a tulip:
L: plum color, creamy bubbly head, quickly turns to thin lacing and stains glass with every sip.
A: raisins, malt, pine
F: medium, malty, piney, dry finish, mildly hoppy.
T: sweet cinnamon, raisins, malt, pine, bitter coffee, mildly boozy, and sour. Has a bit of brandy flavor too.
O: badass beer, been a while since I had this, used to drink it out of the bottle while disc golfing nearly once a week, 1st stone beer I ever had and they make it well. Overall I disagree with the statement of "you're not going to like it" I find it delicious. It sort've fits many beer genres too: IPA, sour, scotch ale, strong ale, winter ale, and malt bev. Just delicious!

4.71/5  rDev +12.9%

Dee-licious! Nothing out there like it.
Sweet, extra hoppy but not an overwhelming heavy malt feel to it.
I just bought some pounders in the can at the local Safeway and am looking forward to each and every one.
Cheers!!

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had many, many, many times... this particular brew was poured from a 16 oz can into a pint glass.

L: Pours a clear reddish copper color. 2.5 fingers of foamy off-white head. Gorgeous lacing.

S: Rich malts and vicious hops. Grains.. .a bit of booze.

T/F: Rich and malty up front... sharp... caramel and grains which gives way to some palate wrecking hop bitterness on the back end. Sticky and carbonated in mouthfeel... and surprisingly smooth. Warming but it hides the ABV. The finish is dry.

O: A classic... and just one of the finest beers available. This is one that changed how I both look at/drink beer. Still amazing today, and as the can says... not at all New and impossible to Improve. Arrogant... and deservedly so.

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

one of my all time favorites. i tried the 22oz bottle and the 16oz cans and i have a hard time feeling a difference. love this and cant find enough of it.

Arrogant Bastard Ale from Arrogant Brewing