Legends Bourbon Barrel Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Missoula Brewing Co.

Legends Bourbon Barrel Chocolate Oatmeal StoutLegends Bourbon Barrel Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Rate It

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: Rumor has it there's a legendary lumberjack high in the mountains of Montana by the name of Tom Feller. Could chop a tree down just by asking it nicely. More likely, these days you'd find him singing songs of yore and waxing his mustache with the finest of tree saps.

Aged for a year in High West bourbon barrels, this rich stout bursts with flavors of dark chocolate, smooth bourbon heat, and subtle vanilla, all with a silky mouthfeel from soft oatmeal.

Some legends have a quirky twist. Be yourself.

IBU 40
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
sulldaddy from Connecticut

4.34/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampling a cellar temp 22 oz bottle 2017 vintage poured into my snifter. The beer is part of a trade with @mt_griz99. Thank you!
Beer pours a dark cola brown to black coffee hue with a dense, creamy tan head of 3 cm foaming up even with a gentle pour. I actually get a little bit of cascading in my glass after the pour. Nice looking beer, here!
The foam creates dense lattice on my glass after each sip and clings long after I have set the glass back on the table.
The aroma on this beer is all malt, with dark chocolate, bourbon and vanilla and a bit of wooden toothpick note. I also get a little brown sugar, but no hop profile on this beer anywhere.
First sip reveals a velvety smooth textured beer with very fine and tingly carbonation. The carb actually seems to foam up in my mouth a little before I swallow. The body is fairly thick on this beer and yet I find it very drinkable, especially considering the 10.3% octane.
Flavor is what is expected from the nose and appearance of this brew. Dark chocolate and a bit of sweet caramel mix with bourbon and some brown sugar. I have a little vanilla on the finish and again no hops to speak of. I do get some alcohol warming on the swallow as the beer moves to my belly, which gets me to slow down a little on this easy drinking bomber. Im really glad to have tried this and would certainly get this if I ever found a bottle on the east coast. If in MT, definitely look for this big stout!!

Apr 22, 2018
Brew_Zoo_Town from Montana

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours black with large, spaced head which quickly diminishes. The smell from a distance is that of chocolate and small undertone of wood and coffee - up close it becomes extremely alcohol heavy in aroma. Upon first sip the expectation of harsh alcohol is replaced by a strong chocolate taste without being overbearing - the wood and coffee undertone are still present. Carbonation is medium to low, with an excellent aftertaste of chocolate.

Overall this is a solid, if select and somewhat pricey, Stout. It is deceptively smooth for an 11.0% ABV variety and is something worth saving for dessert in winter. As of this comment, the second best Missoula based Stout I've had and a clear sign Highlander can do more than just pale ales when they put their heart into it.

Jul 01, 2017
Legends Bourbon Barrel Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Missoula Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4 out of 5 with 4 ratings