1845 All Malt Pils | Minhas Craft Brewery

Style: German Pilsener

Formerly Minhas 1845 Pilsner

Added by Atron67 on 03-23-2008

2.24/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

My local, in-person trader, Tone77, brought this bottle for me. I was blissfully unaware that my arch-nemeses, Ravinder and Manjit Minhas, were bottling their beers. I have had more than my share of their CANned offerings, swill so unfit for human CANsumption that my repeated imbibing has turned me (part-time) into The Cyberleader! I am hoping for the best from this bottle.

From the bottle: "38 DEGREE PARADISE Chill it to 38 [deg.] Fahrenheit, sit in your favorite chair and sip away the 38 Degree Paradise. Here is to hoping that you own a fridge dedicated to chilling beer to its perfect temperature! Did you know that 1845 is an ALL MALT beer made in the finest Euro tradition? Mr. Corn and Mr. Rice don't live here! They are not even welcome here. 1845 PILS is out Brewmaster's dream and hopefully, it will also become yours."

Of course, it is a screwed-up screw-top, depriving me of even a Pop! These bottles are the absolute worst as they must be completely recycled, as opposed to reused as with pop top bottles. I was so irritated by all of it that I performed one of the heaviest-handed pours in recent memory. This resulted in two fingers of dense, puffy, tawny head that slowly receded into memory. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a toasty maltiness to it, which corresponds to the label, which reads "All Malt". Sofa! Sofa, so good. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was rather ... odd. Not unpalatable, like so many beers that they make, but not really a good example of a German Pilsener, either. I have been attributing their off flavors to a tired, worn-out yeast strain and I think that may be the culprit here, also. The nose was fine, but the taste does not mirror it. Instead, there is a cheesy sharpness that masks the maltiness noted on the nose. It also has that distinct Minhas pink bubble gum/dry cleaning plant flavor. Finish was semi-dry, but left a lingering aftertaste that makes me want to gargle with a flamethrower. No bueno!

3.27/5  rDev +26.3%

2.61/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.2/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.72/5  rDev +5%

From notes on 9/6/2013

My original rating was a 0.5, but I guess on this site you need to give it a 1. Doesn't deserve that high of a score.

This is by far the worst beer I have ever had in my life. Toured the Minhas Brewery, which was actually very fun, and received a bottle of this for free. This beer tastes like water that came from a rusty pipe. We had two bottles of it and literally dumped it down the drain. It really takes a gross beer to dump it.

Maybe we just got a bad batch because other reviews are ok for this beer.

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.25/5  rDev +25.5%

2.23/5  rDev -13.9%

This beer poured out as a clear looking yellow color. The head comes then goes. There is no lacing and not much to look at. The smell of the beer is like a sweet fruity kids cereal. No hop area at all. The taste is sweet, not much bitterness at all, kinda boring. The mouthfeel of the beer is light bodied, decent carbonation but thin and watery. Overall this beer was pretty much what I expected.

1845 All Malt Pils from Minhas Craft Brewery