Alexander Black IPA

Rated:
May 10, 2018
Added:
Jan 07, 2017
Our tribute to Blacksburg, its beginnings and the Alexander Black House. Fermented in the California common style, using lager yeast at higher temperatures, this IPA is crisp and effervescent. Amarilla, Simcoe, and Sorachi-ace hops.
Recent ratings and reviews.
Reviewed by VABA from Virginia

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Pours a very dark color with a slight head and lacing, very little aroma and taste. A medium bodied beer with slight carbonation. A decent beer for passing the time.
May 10, 2018

Rated: 3.45 by jricharc from Virginia

Jul 03, 2017
Reviewed by WildHopHead from Virginia

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
Black IPAs have always been an intriguing style. For me, a hop head, usually too much stout coffee for my liking. This is, without a doubt the best Black IPA I've had and most balanced. I've had Firestone Walker Wookey Jack, Dogfish Head Indian Brown, this is better, or at least more balanced, but I'm a hop head. This is definitely to the hoppy IPA side using the same hop profile as their Treerider IPA, a really piney, grassy, dank, resinous mix. Here it's very subdued pine, with light notes of coffee. It's smooth, no head. It completely reinvents the Black IPA class for me. It's great

Edit: After going back, I have to lower my score, it became a lot more of an average stout, not sure what happened. They are a small operation, so there's likely to be batch to batch variation, but just wasn't as good a second time.
Jan 07, 2017